• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New finches!

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Hello!

This morning I went with a friend to choose some zebra finches!

I got a male and a female, and have given them a nest as I am planning to breed.

They will breed on their own, right?

Also does anyone have any useful advice?

I have done HEAPS of research, so I know how to care for them and stuff.

Anyone had good/bad experiences with zebra finches?

Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know vey much about finches but congrats on your new birds! :)

@finchly ?

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
Be forewarned...zebra finches are quite prolific; just give them a covered nest and nesting material and away they go :) Most people ask how to get them to STOP breeding lol.

Congrats on the new birds!

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Ok, thanks!

How long do you think it will be before they breed?

They have settled in quite fast and buzz is doing a little love dance!

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
When I first introduced Brownie (female zebra) to the newer male I had gotten a month earlier, it was love at first sight :) I observed them mating the next day, and there were eggs less than a week later, so yes, it will commence fairly quickly!

My very first pair of zebras had hatchlings barely a month after I brought them home.

I recommend that you get a couple of extra cages so you can divide the male/female juveniles when they are about 6 weeks old.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
I plan on selling them. Can I just sell them at 6 weeks old?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
if they are weaned and eating really well you could. I would wait at least to 8 weeks.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@xgreenbudgiex Did you sell the babies? Were they completely weaned? Sometimes you separate them from the parents, and the babies run the bottom of the cage because they weren't really ready. Just wondering how it went.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
@xgreenbudgiex Did you sell the babies? Were they completely weaned? Sometimes you separate them from the parents, and the babies run the bottom of the cage because they weren't really ready. Just wondering how it went.
I'm not sure they have hatched eggs yet, it sounds like they're still making nests.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Next time, instead of breeding right away, try getting them into condition . Feed them kale, spinach, carrots... dry egg food... if you don't use "complete " pellets use vitamins... in addition to cuttlebones sprinkle egg shell over their food.
These are all things that keep your birds healthy which helps prevent illness and helps them have strong babies and large clutches.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Next time, instead of breeding right away, try getting them into condition . Feed them kale, spinach, carrots... dry egg food... if you don't use "complete " pellets use vitamins... in addition to cuttlebones sprinkle egg shell over their food.
These are all things that keep your birds healthy which helps prevent illness and helps them have strong babies and large clutches.
why not a cuttle bone? mine love their cuttle bone!

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I thought she said in addition TO cuttlebone. So cuttlebones are fine...?
The little birds do love 'em.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Cuttlebones are fine, they're just not a huge source of calcium. When breeding, a hens blood calcium turns over a huge amount per HOUR. So yes to cuttlebones but supplement with either liquid calcium or egg shells. Or both.