• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yahoo, Charlie!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You have the patience to teach him! Might just need to tweak your training techniques a tad to get faster results, but you are doing great with him! :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You know Lurch took about 5 years to get to being a bird that loved me, would mostly step up when asked, wasn't afraid of hands, etc.
At first if I offered a hand he would bite it if I didn't take it away, to eventually deciding the hand offered good things and could easily take him where he wanted to go. He'll get there when he's good and ready then it will be on to the next thing that bothers him. With Nerd he allowed pretty much anything I wanted to do except show him my evil toes, those weren't attached to me and had to be viciously attacked and driven away before they ate him or Daddy. I did finally get to the point he would not immediately attack them but I respected his phobia and intact toes. He of course hated having his feet or toes touched too so maybe it was just a feature, not a bug.
It'll be a journey for both of you but you'll get there.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
. With Nerd he allowed pretty much anything I wanted to do except show him my evil toes, those weren't attached to me and had to be viciously attacked and driven away before they ate him or Daddy. I did finally get to the point he would not immediately attack them but I respected his phobia and intact toes. He of course hated having his feet or toes touched too so maybe it was just a feature, not a bug.
It'll be a journey for both of you but you'll get there.
:rofl: Terry! You are priceless! :rofl:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yay! I know that makes you happy.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Yes, very. I am not sure what motivated him. Being able to travel in car is something he loves. But he has never easily gotten in his carrier. And stepping up with no fuss. Wow! I think my Charlie may have been kidnapped and I am not sure what parrot I have!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Maybe the light went off for him again and now he's ok with stepping up.
Maybe he is starting to trust more....something I will never take for granted....but I am sure we still have a journey ahead of us for regular step up .... something I am prepared to be patient...just love him and this journey is very touching....I am getting him back from his PTSD

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Yeah, I think Lurch had it too now that you mention it. He wanted to do things at first but couldn't get past protecting himself with a bite. Then allowing a touch or scritch, then maybe a bite, then eventually wanting to hang out with me and get scritches and treats, but he could still decide to bite but at least he gave more warnings first. Dobby loves everybody when he first sees them and the last thing he wants to do is bite. My coworker came over to borrow a ladder and he wanted to see him. Dobby eventually asked to get on his hand and ran up to his shoulder and whistled and made noises at him, he never threatened to bite and didn't want to come away from him:xflove:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He truly is a great ambassador for what a Pionus can be that's for sure. The bird border was thoroughly impressed with him too and said he is the kind of fun bird that makes her job awesome.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He's so funny, you taught him that a offered hand means step up. I can see the gears working when he really doesn't want to but eventually he offers up a foot and steps on. Of course if it's nite nite time and he's truly not keen to step up just to go to bed a ferocious beaking ensues before he finally thinks ok and steps up.
Of course that doesn't mean he reserves the right to fly away shortly after said step up, but he still steps up again when asked.
And I do think sometimes he enjoys the chase and battle. He also has started finger wrestling with sister and even with me occasionally when he decides I'm worthy to allow a scritch.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He loved the foster sons so much, as well as all the other kids that used to hang around the house, that I never thought he was partial to women, but it does make sense. My daughter and I were always there. Yes, he does love the chase. I think his little manly self needs to do battle...