• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bronchitis, can Bird it?

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
I had got sick over weekend, bird pretty much stayed up on his cage or in cage. Over he next 4 days the hacking got worse, i did cough in my crook of my elbow and away from him if he was near me. Today I went to the clinic shizz said I had accute bronchitis. I have a steroid pill, a cough type pill so I can sleep, and a antibiotic just one cover my butt cause I babysit and those kids have been sick since before Christmas! Plus I clean the clinic to..I always sanitize my hands before I leave.. so far he ( the bird ) acts fine.. the clinging Velcro where are you chirpy noisy thing that he is!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it depends on whether your bronchitis is viral or bacterial. Anything viral, we can't pass on to our birds. Anything bacterial, I believe there is a risk. However, if you're on antibiotics you may no longer be contagious? I'm not sure. I hope you feel better soon.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
No, the only really zoonotic disease you have to worry about is psittacosis and it tends to come from the bird and infect the human, not the other way around.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
No surprise, got call the kids I baby sit for are sick.. not from me. the school is dropping kids like dead flies! 22-28 a day! coughing, feverish flu

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds can get pneumonia though.... it's rare, but possible.

Even if they can't get whatever you have, it's still a good idea to take precautions, because the normal, healthy bacteria in our mouths are still dangerous to birds. When we are sick, we may be carrying around even more bacteria, which raises the chances of our birds getting sick.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
hope you feel better, there is sure enough crud going around.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Still hacking, feel like I'm drowning.. taking meds.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that you feel better soon.