• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 in 1 cage

cassycass

Sitting on the front steps
Hi,

I have two siblings, a boy and a girl I had them for about a week so they are 11 weeks old. Now I was told by the breeder to keep them in the same cage so I went out and got a huge cage. So they can go into their own corners if they want. Anyhow we take them out every day however today I noticed quite a bit of nipping at our hands when we tried to get them to separate. So I was wondering if it has anything to do with them staying in the same cage. I want to stop it and teach them not to do it before it turns into actual bites. Any suggestions??

These parrots are all new for me as I never realized how different they were from other parrots.

Thank you for your help in advanced!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It sounds like they have bonded to each other, and view you as someone interfering with them being a pair.

cassycass

at only 11 weeks old?? So I should separate them? How should I proceed?

cassycass

Could their nipping be their way of playing? I'm still researching them as much as possible but there isn't as much information on them as other parrots.. I'm far from being new to parrots (I have 5 other parrots) but Lorikeets is completely different for me. So I feel like a newbie and just want to do right by them. My other parrots are all friendly and tamed and trained to do tricks. So I want the lorikeets to be the same. I have only had them for 11 days and they are stepping up so I guess so far so good. I just don't want nipping to become a habit if I can stop it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@JAM may have some ideas about keeping multiple lorikeets.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It sounds like they are bonding to each other. You can put a divider in the cage or look at separate cages. Nippiness at this age is common and can become a habit if you let it.

Happy to say nipping in my flock has resolved unless I miss a warning sign or make a human error with them.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@cassycass have a look in Lorikeet Lane forum, agree there isn't much on them, I am no expert on them but what I've learnt and am learning am happy to pass on for others, I am normally in there quite a bit when I sign in. :)

cassycass

Okay so I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to post this or not but to give you guys some further information on my progress with my lorikeets and the rest of my flock, I started a website Green naped Lorikeets – Parenting Parrots ... I'm actually hoping that maybe some will read some stuff and be able to give me some suggestions or insight especially when it comes to my lorikeets as I still feel like there is so much more to learn and it is so hard to find information about them...

However one thing I did want to mention is I have separated them and the nipping has lessened. I find that Marlee - (the girl) still seeks out her brother and prefers to fly then be with us but Rasta (the boy) stays with us and trains and will fly to us.... He has a thing for flying onto our heads though- any suggestions how to teach him that my head is not where he wants to be??

Piki's Ben

Real Name
Ben MacAran
I've had Piki for almost 7 years now, and the only times he nips (actually he will bite and draw blood) is if I put my hand in his cage when he is in it. So I have learnt to leave him alone if he wants to stay in. In the morning he waits for me to open his cage then steps out onto my finger. Then we go onto the deck and his favourite tree where he poops. From then on he's on my shoulder while I prepare his food and water, clean his cage and give him his daily ration of honey. He then returns to his cage, checks out his two favourite toys are still there, has a bite to eat and then demands to start the day on my shoulder. Outside his cage he loves to wrestle and play bite, preens my beard, rolls around with the dog . . . but never bites. Only when I try to invade his private space. Maybe your two are establishing their own space, especially since they are a bonded pair.