• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New babies and serious question

SterlingSL

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Got my 23yo daughter two 8-week old male parrotlets for her birthday. I kept them in isolation for a day, in our bird room in a nice big cage and didn't much mess with them as I wanted them to start getting used to my daughter. We had them out a couple of times for a short period and they went right back in the cage no problems.

Fast forward to post party and my daughter has had them out for most of the day in her room (yes, millennial still living in Dad's 'basement'). So later in the evening we put them back in their cage, which is smaller and they went BERSERK! I let them fret and struggle for a while until I felt like they were going to harm themselves. The second we got them out, they instantly settled on a finger and started preening each other. They are not scared of us as they were literally bashing themselves at the cage sides trying to get to us.

The one thing I did notice however is they are always trying to get to the highest point in the room they are in. So my very serious question: should we trim them just enough to limit their ability to easily get to wherever they want? I have always been totally against clipping as I have 5 other birds and all have been flighted. But those are bigger birds and a different situation completely. We really need them to get used to being caged as they can't always be out.

Advice?

20170114_135503.jpg

Grace

Meeting neighbors
You might try covering the cage on three sides and giving them some really yummy food. Most love spray millet. If you do that and leave them in the room alone, they should settle.

I give my two plets a very light wing clip because the room we watch TV in has a vaulted ceiling and I don't want them to be able to fly up. It will vary from bird to bird but I clip the first three flight feathers on my two.

Good luck with your babies! They sound adorable.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They are adorable. :)

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
My bird is flighted, but I have done some stationing training and recall training so that his cage is really incentivized as a fun and safe place to be. We're working on issues as they arise, but for the most part he will fly to his cage, to me or to his perch.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
they were fine in the first cage but went crazy in the second one? Maybe something in the cage or the size. Can you post a pic?