• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe household cleaners?

Norintha

Checking out the neighborhood
I use stuff like comet, 409, and fabuloso for various types of cleaning but I'm not sure if it's safe to use around my green cheek. I keep her in the other room when I clean but I live in a small one bedroom apartment. Any suggestions for safe products?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use vinegar and baking soda.

I do still try to avoid the fumes from vinegar (I don't spray beside of them).

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I would highly recommend getting a steam cleaner! Makes cleaning so much easier...and funner!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Comet has bleach so could have fumes & the others I'd really not use esp the fabuloso as that is full of scented chemicals & possibly made in mexico.

If you use in the bathroom keep the door closed & only if you have an exhaust fan & keep all windows open as those cleaners/alot of cleaners can be dangerous. Not recommending it as it
would be so horrible to find your bird dead from the fumes. You just never know what is an unacceptable level of fume & how it could affect the air sacs. Could be once its ok but 2nd time its just too much!

I have a steam cleaner but its in storage. Just so cluttered here but guess it does disinfect with the heat & no chemicals.
Great to use in bathroom & cages.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Steam goes into the air along with the particles of the stuff you are cleaning off. Do you actually want to be breathing that stuff along with your birds breathing it too??????

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
People will crucify me for it but I'm of the opinion that commercial cleaners are fine so long as you aren't using them right next to your birds and have a decently ventilated apartment. I still use Lysol and Clorox with bleach in my bathroom and kitchen because frankly I don't trust the antibacterial properties of just vinegar and up until just recently we've always lived in humid climates with LOTS of mold issues. Typically I leave the birds in another room with the door closed while I clean with the bathroom vent going and a window open. Then I wait another 20 mins or so for everything to air out afterwards. I guess I'm not so concerned about potential exposure to a whiff of cleaning product once a week since the zoo I worked at frequently cleans the exhibits with bleach solutions and other chemicals? I've also admitted my Lysol/dish soap use to my avian vet in a questionnaire and she was happy to see it considering one of our bird has had issues with bacterial and fungal infections....

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I use Orange TKO (HOME Since it smells like orange, my caiques want to mess with the papertowel while I am using wiping, and that's no problem with this cleaner. This is my all purpose cleaner for most jobs.

For disinfecting, I use F10 veterinary disinfectant.

I use baking soda for bathroom and kitchen.

I use non toxic furniture polish (regular ones are highly toxic).

Not only the bird-safe products are better for you, I find them very economical.