• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
how is the little sweet heart?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Joey wade how is our little piece of sunshine doing ???

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Still doing great. Super playful these days. Perhaps I'm going crazy, but it seems like he might have started mimicking sounds already. Is that even possible at this stage?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
no that doesn't not surprise me.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
So the last few nights he hasn't wanted to eat at all. I let him out to feed and he just climbed around and ran away. What little formula he got in his beak he just let it dribble out or shook it.

He eats a good lunch (about 70cc) and sometimes a good breakfast. He still isn't really interested in eating anything solids on a consistent basis. Chews apples a bit and sometimes cucumber.

Any ideas/ suggestions?

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I swear that Vader is cuter than the average baby. He has a sparkle in his eye that means trouble - for you.

If he isn't eating his night time meal, try cutting out his midday meal so he will eat his evening meal. I can't understand him not eating other things. What are you offering him? How much does he weigh? Does he give any indications of a fungal or bacterial infection?

Are you worried about him?

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
It's important to offer some high calorie weaning foods right now - and I do remember mine being more interested in playing and exploring and flying than eating. It was very stressful for me! Try mashing up cooked yams and adding some scrambled eggs, bananas and some sort of nut butter. Make it warm and mushy, similar in consistency to thick baby food, and see if you can get him to eat some off of a spoon or your fingers to start. I still give my girl this every night (though the egg is only occasional now). Keep offering hand feedings for now - don't let him go hungry. How old is he now? Remember that it can take quite a while to completely wean these guys - I think my girl was about 10 months when I completely stopped. Corn kernels was a popular choice for my girl when she first started eating on her own, and she'd also try anything that I sprinkled with pomegranates.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
He's such a devious thing. Very strong willed and stubborn.

I gave up trying to weigh him many weeks ago. He's just too active. I'm offering tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, snap beans, Apple and Papaya. Also some seeds.

I'm always a bit worried about something being wrong although I have no reason to think that other than what I've posted. Should I take him to the vet just to be safe?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
It's important to offer some high calorie weaning foods right now - and I do remember mine being more interested in playing and exploring and flying than eating. It was very stressful for me! Try mashing up cooked yams and adding some scrambled eggs, bananas and some sort of nut butter. Make it warm and mushy, similar in consistency to thick baby food, and see if you can get him to eat some off of a spoon or your fingers to start. I still give my girl this every night (though the egg is only occasional now). Keep offering hand feedings for now - don't let him go hungry. How old is he now? Remember that it can take quite a while to completely wean these guys - I think my girl was about 10 months when I completely stopped. Corn kernels was a popular choice for my girl when she first started eating on her own, and she'd also try anything that I sprinkled with pomegranates.
I will try that recipe soon. Thank you. He's just 4 months. My biggest concern is that he isn't getting enough food. Any idea on the minimum amount of formula he should be getting?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
what cutie pie. I agree to skip the lunch time meal, offer him fresh veggies, fruit, something like that for lunch. you may have to hand feed it to him for a bit. it's still important to weigh him at least a couple time a week. does he have a favorite treat that he gets once in awhile. use that as a bribe to get him on the scale; show it to him then palm it, put him on the scale with a peek at the treat. if he gets weighed then the treat from your fingers. this may take several tries but it should work.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Try weighing him at a sleepy time, with the lights as dim as practical. Personally, I'd only skip a meal when he showed me for a couple days in a row that he wasn't interested in it. And then I'd be ready to add it back in once in a while if he showed he needed it (head bobbing, hungry baby grunts). I don't have my macaw book here to check for amounts to hand-feed, but I can look tonight and get back to you (hopefully someone else will chime in before then). At 4 months, you may still have a way to go, and it's all his call right now. Also start giving him some cracked almonds and walnuts so he can start playing with them and getting the hang of eating them. It's great that you're giving him lots of veggies and fruit, but make sure he has a variety of high calorie/high protein foods as well. Watching your other macaw eat might be good too.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Moving his cage into Joey's room this afternoon. He refused to eat anything this morning too. Grrrrrrrr

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Joey wade then you have to find a way to get his weight. you may have to crate him or put him into box to do it. yes he is going to be T-eed off GW for awhile.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Will do it tonight. He wouldn't eat breakfast and it was a struggle getting him to eat any lunch. Still food in his crop so maybe he's got slow crop again? I was under the impression that once they were feathered it wasn't really much of an issue but who knows. I'm probably headed to the vet just to make sure there's not a problem. Feelin very tired.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
what are his poops like? Hopefully Thailand is not getting stomach flu bug that is drifting all over the USA right now. I got it for Christmas. Nasty, nasty stuff, 5 days of being very tired, headache, fever and tummy that could barely hold down ice chips. felt like I was dragged thru a knot hole and went thru it for 2 times just for fun NOT..

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Here's the poop. It's pretty much always looked like this. Rarely in lines, sometimes with less white image.jpeg

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw I'm going call in the big macaw people. to me it doesn't look right but I am not a macaw expert.
you know they will not be here until the AM in USA time.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw I'm going call in the big macaw people. to me it doesn't look right but I am not a macaw expert.
you know they will not be here until the AM in USA time.
Has never looked quite right to me either, I do still have the Baytril. I'm less concerned giving it to him now that he's older. I know the vet will find "bacteria" anyway because they always do. I don't want to wait to late but don't want to give it needlessly either.