• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Cooper Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Cooper and I have mastered a sort of recall. I hold either millet or a small straw in my raised hand and she flies and lands on my hand. At first she flew off as if my hand was a hot spark. Now she goes for whatever I am holding. I tried it once bare handed and she proceeded to bite but not too hard. The bites are less frequent now. OH and if I am holding something that interest her she does fly to and lands on my finger for a few seconds then flies off.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My flock knows if I have to get out the bird net, they had better get into their cage NOW! I am very easy-going about caging and sometimes individual birds will try and avoid being caged and I have to step them up again and again... But they know if I get out the net I am serious about caging and allow me to step them up and go meekly into the cage.

I hate birds who have been terrorized by people chasing them with nets. It just means those persons never took the time needed to properly teach the bird to step up. Very poor husbandry of the flock.

Wonderful Cooper is landing on your HAND! She is learning!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I laughed at Cooper today. She has never eaten anything from a spoon. However I offered her a pinch if vanilla ice cream and she scarfed it right up. Must have sensitive taste. I think parrots have either less or more taste buds than we do.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
... Now she only needs to master the art of a good book and she's IN! :lol:
You are making GREAT progress.:loveshower:

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Is it immediate or does she begin by chewing on your clothes or jewelry then progress to skin? If it seems like she's specifically out to maul your neck I'd start off by always wearing a scarf or protective neck wear while interacting with her. It's easiest to not reinforce a bite when they don't happen and that way if she does bite you - it'll likely be in an area where you can better chide her from.

Gem used to be pretty bad about wanting to preen my neck in a rather loving yet obsessively painful way. I had to wear turtlenecks and scarves and created play areas for her so we could interact without her having to be on my shoulder to avoid any grievances. I suspect I reacted poorly the first few times which contributed to the reoccurrence of these neck bites but after a while of not being able to get near my skin - she eventually gave up and has calmed down some and only uses her warning bites, which are more like grabs (unless she's protecting some enclosed space like a cupboards or a drawer. Getting her out requires a lot of coaxing or some pain).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She bites skin a few seconds after landing. From day 1 bites seemed to be an automatic occurrence. Still are but now I can read her body language better and pretty much know when they are coming except when she is on shoulder.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We had some late evening play last night between 6 and 7 pm. I thought Cooper would be a little more calm at that time. She really enjoyed her table top play and wanted to chew every little bit of anything that resembled wood which she did. I got a few photos of her in the process.

red basket play.jpg bask.jpg

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My lovies have been crazy with the orchard grass and alfalfa hay I give them. They stiffed a few in their nest box, then Blu decided she needed more newspaper and chewed quarter inch strips all afternoon. Must be nesting time in Africa, I swear! And she is guarding her cage like I am going to inhabit her nest box....:watching:

Status
Not open for further replies.