• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poor Jack...

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I am just seeing this thread and wanted to comment on the serratia marcescens they found in his cultures.
per wikipedia: S. marcescens is commonly found growing in bathrooms (especially on tile grout, shower corners, toilet water line, and basin), where it manifests as a pink, pink-orange, or orange discoloration and slimy film feeding off phosphorus-containing materials or fatty substances such as soap and shampoo residue.

per me - when I had humidifiers with filters I found this growing on the filters or with the ultrasonic ones, on the plastic. Do you use humidifiers?
I have tried every type.
I now use Venta Airwashers for humidity because I can chlorox it regularly. If I let it go too long I will see little pink spots in a corner. I don't know why it is such a problem here but I keep cleaning......and although I don't like some of those smelly bathroom cleaners I have resumed using them.
:mop::dishes:

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Poor Jack! :sadhug2:

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
I am just seeing this thread and wanted to comment on the serratia marcescens they found in his cultures.
per wikipedia: S. marcescens is commonly found growing in bathrooms (especially on tile grout, shower corners, toilet water line, and basin), where it manifests as a pink, pink-orange, or orange discoloration and slimy film feeding off phosphorus-containing materials or fatty substances such as soap and shampoo residue.

per me - when I had humidifiers with filters I found this growing on the filters or with the ultrasonic ones, on the plastic. Do you use humidifiers?
I have tried every type.
I now use Venta Airwashers for humidity because I can chlorox it regularly. If I let it go too long I will see little pink spots in a corner. I don't know why it is such a problem here but I keep cleaning......and although I don't like some of those smelly bathroom cleaners I have resumed using them.
:mop::dishes:

Oh interesting. No I don't use a humidifier at the moment. I was thinking of looking into them though. Jack gets a steamy shower twice a week because I was initially worried the air might be too dry for him.

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Another follow-up:

I found a highly recommended vet and took Jack for a second opinion visit. After talking with the vet and a physical exam, the vet believes Jack's lungs were impacted from being raised around dusty birds. Not necessarily the earlier bacteria infection. The cage he was raised in at the person's home was inches from a cage containing several young african greys and on the opposite side(few feet away) was a young cockatoo(not sure what kind). There was a giant air filter, but it was on the other side of the living room and she cleaned them constantly. Jack was in that spot for about 4 months, but it seems that was enough to upset his respiratory system. The vet did run another nasal culture and today the results came back: all clear. Jack hasn't exhibited any other symptoms like discharge, vomiting, change in weight, droppings or a change in behavior. Just off-on raspy and sneezy. I got an air filter and a humidifier for his room just to help him out. Vet estimates it'll be 6-12 months for his lungs to heal. Until then, just keep up with steamy showers 3 times a week. He's doing great though---vet said Jack has great flight muscles and is very healthy otherwise. Jack now masters every foraging opportunity I present to him and he is quickly becoming a pro at singing along to any music I play, in his own special macaw way. haha Anyways, just wanted to share.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor Jack, I hope his lungs heal! I'm glad he wasn't there for longer.
:hug8:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Remind me, has he had xrays to verify? Glad he seems to be feeling better.

Catlady

Moving in
Hope Jack is doing much better now. I have one of those dusty birds (see Amazon pic) who had never had a shower before I adopted her (around age 7.) The vet had to clean out her nostrils on first visit. She probably had not been able to breathe thru them for years. Now she gets a thorough soaking shower at least every other day and is very perky. However, her previous diet damaged her liverso she gets meds mornings and bedtimes. You were wise to be proactive with her vet care. Birds seldom show illnesses until it is too late. They just bounce around if they are happy, which it seems Jack clearly is.

Heather F

Poor little guy. There are people here who have lost birds due to pulmonary hypersensitivity ("macaw asthma") from being around dusty birds. I'm glad that the vet thinks that he will recover. Good for you for being vigilant in getting him checked out! Now you know to be extra careful with the air quality for him and no bringing dusty birds into the house. Great that he is otherwise healthy!

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Poor Jack, I hope his lungs heal! I'm glad he wasn't there for longer.
:hug8:
Thanks, yeah hoping for a quick recovery for him too! :)

Remind me, has he had xrays to verify? Glad he seems to be feeling better.
Jack was xrayed in Dec by the previous vet. I didn't ask about re-xraying him at this new avian clinic. I just got a copy of his xrays though and will forward them to the new place(I didn't have them at the time of his initial visit). The vet didn't recommend it so it didn't initially cross my mind, just wanted to run his cultures again.

Hope Jack is doing much better now. I have one of those dusty birds (see Amazon pic) who had never had a shower before I adopted her (around age 7.) The vet had to clean out her nostrils on first visit. She probably had not been able to breathe thru them for years. Now she gets a thorough soaking shower at least every other day and is very perky. However, her previous diet damaged her liverso she gets meds mornings and bedtimes. You were wise to be proactive with her vet care. Birds seldom show illnesses until it is too late. They just bounce around if they are happy, which it seems Jack clearly is.
Oh wow, that had to be uncomfortable for her--both her airways and the impact of her diet. Happy she's found comfort in your care! Yeah, when I had Kiwi, I experienced how fast their health can change from normal to fatal--overnight in Kiwi's case. It has only been a year since her passing, but that was very fresh in my mind when Jack came home and I noticed how raspy he was.

Poor little guy. There are people here who have lost birds due to pulmonary hypersensitivity ("macaw asthma") from being around dusty birds. I'm glad that the vet thinks that he will recover. Good for you for being vigilant in getting him checked out! Now you know to be extra careful with the air quality for him and no bringing dusty birds into the house. Great that he is otherwise healthy!
Yeah I had read of how sensitive their respiratory system is. But even seeing that setup...I mistakenly trusted that it wasn't going to be an issue. :( But very aware now and won't expose Jack is anything that would risk anymore lung-flare ups. The first vet knew about his upbringing, but felt Jack would need years of exposure for it to impact his lungs. But I'd imagine that 4 months, 24/7 of being inches from dusty birds would speed up that sensitivity.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad your vet determined what the problem was and you are giving Jack supportive care. Pulmonary Hypersensitive Syndrome killed Holiday's Zoe in three years - and that was by just one AG. Your poor baby didn't have a chance of not being effected, the way he was being kept.

We can call him Happy Jack now.

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so glad your vet determined what the problem was and you are giving Jack supportive care. Pulmonary Hypersensitive Syndrome killed Holiday's Zoe in three years - and that was by just one AG. Your poor baby didn't have a chance of not being effected, the way he was being kept.

We can call him Happy Jack now.

Oh wow, I'm so sorry for Holiday. That's scary.

Happy Jack indeed--just continue working towards a speedy recovery. He gets so winded by simple relays between his playstands, panting after 3-4 rounds--the vet noticed that too(Jack was flighty during the vet exam) which added to the diagnosis.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do wonder whether frequent nasal flushes might help him. I know that won't affect his lungs but it has really helped with keeping my tiel's nasal passages clear and free of inflammation.