• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

QUESTIONS: about ringnecks

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello,

I am considering getting a baby ringneck. I have read many of the posts but I do have a few questions:

1) I understand that they are loud and shrill at times - do they scream all day long or is it for brief periods? How would you compare their noise level - to say - a mini macaw or a conure?

2) I've been reading about the bluffing - is this a "nice" way of saying that they bite? If so, how much do they bite - is this strictly a phase that they grow out of - and what is the specific training involved - to help reduce this behavior?

3) With many pet bird species - it appears that the females exhibit more hormonal behavior than the males - is this especially true of the ringnecks - or does it really depend on the individual bird and early socialization - thanks in advance for considering my questions. Also - are there specific steps that you can take to reduce hormonal behavior? Thanks so much!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to breed ringnecks. remember that every bird is an individual within its' own species. They do have a shrill scream like conures. If they are board it will be continuos. If they plenty to keep them busy it will not be bad.
Bluffing is seen in many species. They draw you in and bam! Ouchy bite! With plenty of positive reinforcement and training this can be alleviated. Just remember that almost every bird can and will bite if they are uncomfortable with you pushing them past their limits. They need to learn to trust you. Off rewards everytime they show positive behavior.
Hormonal behavior is something you just need to respect. It is natural. Males and females both exhibit it. when they enter this stage you need to respect their space. Some who become hormonal pick you as their mate. Then you will be the victim of regurgitation, which is so yummy!