• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying a Rabbit Air

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
one more question!
would you rather have an austin air or a rabbit air?
I Have the Pet Machine by Austin Air. I bought it because it is the strongest of the two! It is a little loud but you get use to it! I would buy the Rabbit Air for the bedroom because it is more quiet! I don't have birds in the bedroom so I don't need the Austin in there! My bird room is very large so that made my decision for me. I haven't yet purchase the Rabbit Air so I can say anything about it first hand! If your space is small you can probably get by with the Rabbit Air! I have had mine for about one year now and no complaints!

LADyver

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I've had a Rabbit Air MinusA2 for a few years and an Austin Air Healthmate Plus is being shipped to me as I write. We have a very open floor plan and have been running the RabbitAir 24/7. It has kept the dust down, but it's rated for 815 sq feet and with our floorplan it's probably trying to service closer to 1500, including the kitchen! With that being said, I have friends who are severely allergic to dogs and birds, but if I run the Rabbit Air on the "turbo" setting for 4 hours before their arrival, they are perfectly ok with being in our house. Prior to owning the Rabbit air, they were miserable and popping allergy meds within an hour. Now I'm moving the Rabbit Air into the bedroom and will put it in the RV while traveling, and will have the Austin Air in the larger living area. Hope this helps!

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
My house is roughly 2600 sq. ft. So I guess I would have to purchase two. Egads! That's a lot of money. Is it possible to just get better filters for the central air conditioner and have the same effect?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Central heating/ac filters can filter out a range of danders, dust, microbes, etc. but the higher rated ones can also make the system overwork by restricting the airflow and this can cause problems in the future. Best to replace the filters frequently or if it is a washable one wash it frequently. I think that having the air purifiers definitely helps. I have 3 in my house. One downstairs and then one in each upstairs bedroom. However, I am probably going to get another one because I don't think the downstairs one covers a large enough area.

LADyver

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Is your daughter in law living with you? I used to be severely allergic to cats, but the more exposure I had, the less reactive I became. I don't even get stuffy anymore when I go into a house that has cats. I still can't pet them and rub my eyes without my eyes getting red, but that's pretty easy to avoid. My allergy went away in my mid to late 20s, so maybe there's hope. you certainly don't want to keep the baby in a sterile environment, that's a good way to encourage allergies. My friends did that with their kids, and those kids are allergic to EVERYTHING now because their immune system never grew to deal with such things. I say get one Austin Air for the main living area, keep the cats out of the daughter in laws bedroom if she lives with you, and if she's bothered by cats in the bedroom she can pick up a Rabbit Air on her own dime.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
My daughter in law does not live with me. But, I do want her to be comfortable in my home when she and my son comes to visit. They live 6 hours away in another state and occasionally spend the night.

LADyver

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
What I did with my friends is run it in the main area, then put it in the bedroom when they're sleeping. That worked very well without breaking the bank. We did it with the Rabbit Air, and our house is 2900 sq ft. But the animals are never allowed in the guest room, so that helps.

Kim Ackerman

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kim Ackerman
Hi everyone my name isMr.Kim Ackerman. How are you you?