• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toilet training

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Sorry if starting a thread already there. Toilet training my 5months eckie. Tried to reward with food but as he's always full I found it difficult to find something to offer that he would always eat. In the end we did just praise. Seems to be working well. He now flys to his play gym perch and poops there and comes back. Not bad for only 6 weeks together.

My issue is the toilet training not going so well whole we are in harness outside. He can hold on for 45min or go every 10min. I can't seem to find a pattern and he won't go when asked like he does at home. I think maybe he's so busy looking and absorbing everything pooping on demand is last on hos mind.

Any pointers? Or advice?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Potty training is dangerous and not to be encouraged.

If you study the anatomy of a bird, you realize that they are meant to go when they have to. They have to remain lightweight at all times as they are a prey animal and be ready for flight at any given moment. They do not possess lengthy colons to store excrements. It can cause birds to have severe medical problems and illnesses, for example prolapse, as a result of being potty trained, holding it, and holding it too long repeatedly over a period of time. Exception: Nesting hens will hold it all day.

I would not encourage a bird to poop on command - they will try to force one out even if they don't need to. This practice is VERY DANGEROUS as it can cause cloacal prolapse - a horrible thing. You can encourage them to let you know when they need to go poop and make sure they are in an appropriate place to "let one fly."

My opinion? Birds poop. Have your rag and bird-safe cleaners handy.

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
Potty training is dangerous and not to be encouraged.

If you study the anatomy of a bird, you realize that they are meant to go when they have to. They have to remain lightweight at all times as they are a prey animal and be ready for flight at any given moment. They do not possess lengthy colons to store excrements. It can cause birds to have severe medical problems and illnesses, for example prolapse, as a result of being potty trained, holding it, and holding it too long repeatedly over a period of time. Exception: Nesting hens will hold it all day.

I would not encourage a bird to poop on command - they will try to force one out even if they don't need to. This practice is VERY DANGEROUS as it can cause cloacal prolapse - a horrible thing. You can encourage them to let you know when they need to go poop and make sure they are in an appropriate place to "let one fly."

My opinion? Birds poop. Have your rag and bird-safe cleaners handy.
I very much agree

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks guys.

He currently has several spots in the house where he will fly to and poop without being asked or told. I've had him for 6weeks and really wasn't expecting him to pick it up so quickly. Especially since it's all been praise driven not rewarded with food.

Guess I'll just leave it alone and make frequent stops when out so he can go. My quaker would never poo on me. Just learnt to do it everywhere else without training. There's no way I want him to have health issues.