• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I be concerned?

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
Hello,
My budgie currently eats a seed mix. A couple of times he made 'tweer' calls and started making head movements and then spitting out a few seeds.
Should I be concerned? Should I take his to the vet?
Thanks

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
When a bird brings up food they are either regurgitating or vomiting. Many birds will regurgitate when their hormones start flowing and in my experience this also includes a lot of chirping, strutting around, and general excitement.

Vomiting on the other hand can happen if a bird is ill, though there are usually other signs that something is wrong. So if your budgie is also lethargic, fluffed up all the time, has irregular poops, or is otherwise not appearing normal, then a vet visit is in order.

HawkEagle

Real Name
Paulina
Calpurnia, thank you for your answer. He sometimes fluffs his head and is also really quiet. One other thing I am concerned about is his beak shape- it is curled in and looks misaligned.

HawkEagle

Real Name
Paulina
Update: I am not 100•/• sure if Lexy is OK or not but I am considering bringing him to the vet on Monday (they only have emergency services on Sunday). Hope it goes OK

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Occasional fluffing is normal. Napping is to. I also think his beak looks fine (they grown like fingernails so won't always be nice and perfect) but a vet visit is never a bad idea if you are concerned.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
yeah, one of my budgie fluffs herself up a lot. but other than that she seems ok. the pet shop conditions didn't do her much good though.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Is his poop normal?
Appetite good?
If you are concerned, then it won't hurt to have him checked out.
Good luck.

HawkEagle

Real Name
Paulina
Hurray! I booked Lexy's appointment for tomorrow at 16:20. The vet I am going to is an exotic vet who has had experience with birds, but if Lexy has a problem (which I doubt he does) than we will be directed to another veterinary surgery to a solely avian vet, which is quite rare to find in London.
Now that I think of it I doubt Lexy has any problems, but it would never hurt to take him for a check-up. I will need to enquire the price tomorrow and if it isn't too expensive and the vet is good than they will be my veterinary clinic.
Thanks for all your help

HawkEagle

Real Name
Paulina
Is his poop normal?
Appetite good?
If you are concerned, then it won't hurt to have him checked out.
Good luck.
Yes, his appetite is very good and his droppings look very healthy, so I don't think it is anything too bad.