• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Ernie Update

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
He's helping you glide along lol

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Ernie is so cute. Especially his "flying ".

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
How could you not LOVE such a beautiful fid... some people are just odd! :faint:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
How could you not LOVE such a beautiful fid... some people are just odd! :faint:
I just Don't know what to think. I know she loves him, but confused as to why she has not checked on him. I have thought - no internet in the small town they are moving into? Phone got cut off? But then I see that she has been on FB. I don't want to be one of those that takes care of a bird and then it turns into a "custody battle" a year later.
If she doesn't communicate soon, I will have him checked head to toe and continue to love on him and take care of him. When she is ready for him back, I will give him back and ask if I can check in and see how he is doing. I just hope it is not going to be confusing or detrimental to Ernie Birds happiness.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
He is so cute! :heart:

Itsy is a female Meyer's and does heart wings. She talks a bit but can't whistle other than ear piercing shrieks.

So it's surprising how much he talks and whistles! I hope the owner tells you to keep him. Sounds like he is better off with you.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
She must be relieved that he is in a good home.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
She must be relieved that he is in a good home.
She has said she was happy he was being so well taken care of while they get things straightened out. And I have been more than happy to care for him while they do! Don't get me wrong. They have been through a lot this year and I am happy they sought help. I am just starting to worry. It is probably for nothing. I tend to do that sometimes. In my heart, I know I will do whatever needs to be done for him.
I guess I am worried more about Ernie getting attached and secure in our home and then having things change yet again. He seems to be pretty flexible and adapts well, though. Probably worrying about nothing.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
ASK if you can keep him! Tell her your hubby fell in love with him.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I hope you are able to keep him, Looks like he has really blossomed with you.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
At this point, I'd say it would be reasonable to get timely vet care, and expenses you cover to keep him healthy, are her responsibility to reimburse if she wants him back. I would not give him up until I got that payment in full.

Honestly, she seems to be taking advantage of you (she can always drop a note in the mail!), and if it were me, I wouldn't be especially flexible about that. Any border or vet should be able to give you basic advice re. delivered and subsequently abandoned animals. They deal with that as a matter of course.

I understand not wanting things to get ugly, but putting your foot down might be in everyone's best interest, esp. Ernie's.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
How kind of you to help out! He's adorable!

I may take a contrary position to what most people have said. It is possible she's not checking in as much because she may still be trying to get back in control of her life. Based on her previous interactions with you, maybe she's seeing Ernie as being in a good situation and is concentrating on other things. I wouldn't read too much about there being other posts on Facebook, especially if they are highlighting a few good moves on the way to turn her life around.

With that said, I understand it must be hard on you to not know what is going on and how much longer it may go on for. I do agree with getting him vet checked, if only for your own peace of mind in consideration with the rest of your flock and it is not unreasonable to ask for some compensation if she wants him back.

I also hope that if things remain difficult for her for some time, that she does reconsider rehoming him to you, for the well being of Ernie.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Oh you are so wonderful to love him. How can you resist! Love to you and your flock.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
She has contacted me. She has no transportation to come get him right now and wants to finish organizing from the move while her car is repaired. Thanks all for the advice! He is such a dreamy little sennie and so sweet. I only want what is best for him.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Glad she contacted you. Hope things work out well for her.
Ernie has a great personality!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Good that she did contact you - again, you are truly wonderful for helping her and Ernie out :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Mobile home? She's taking him back to live in a mobile home?
Does it have good safe heat?
He's had poor nutrition a too small cage & no vet care.
She needs to think about Ernies needs before her own selfish ones.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I live in a very nice manufactured home. Anything past the mid 90's should be almost like a house except most have forced air electric heat. Mine has a forced air electric furnace and so did my rental I was in for 22 years. I'd think as far as danger a electric furnace should be a lot safer then other modes of heat, they just get expensive to run.
If it's ancient it could have just about any type of heat but the ones I've seen that are more modern double wides have a electric furnace and actually really good outside walls and insulation.
Mine has 2x6 outside walls, new double pane windows, siding, sub floor, carpet, etc. It is 1400sf and is actually cheaper to heat then my old 864sf rental was and it was a stick built house. I'd want to know that too to be sure he'll be OK but it's getting pretty hard to find a livable old school mobile home these days as a bunch of the rules about how they can be built changed in the80's or early 90s I think so they would be safer and more comparable to a regular house.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Oh wow! I do not know how old theirs is. I guess I better ask and make sure she knows the heat may be an issue if it is an older one!