• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shivers

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Every once in a while when Blu is on his perch and I make a motion like I'm going to get up and go towards him, he gets the shivers.

I don't think he's afraid of me because once I'm up close we do face snuggles and he preens me and I preen him and he even insists on being on me.

I read that birds can get the shivers when they are excited. Is it possible that it's just excitement? Or is he just afraid sometimes?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
blu maybe rearranging his feathers so that they comfortable. Bebe does this shiver thing too.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Awesome! Thanks, Tim!!

It is so weird to see cause, as humans, we associate shivering with fear or coldness. But I believe it's excitement too so that sets my mind at ease. Thank you!!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
blu maybe rearranging his feathers so that they comfortable. Bebe does this shiver thing too.
It could be that too, Deanna, thank you. But I usually only notice it when I make the motion of getting up to go close to him.

I also see him shiver after a bath and in that case, I've chalked it up to him arranging his feathers and bringing up his body heat.

Thank you guys!!

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Whenever Eros sees us coming to open his cage, he gets full on vibrations and looks like a feathered buzzy hover craft :roflmao:
So I would say it is excitement for Blu too!:joyful:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Awesome! Thanks, Tim!!

It is so weird to see cause, as humans, we associate shivering with fear or coldness. But I believe it's excitement too so that sets my mind at ease. Thank you!!
When I first got the amazons Secret would grind her beak and I thought it was like us....when our teeth chatter we are so cold. I would race to the cage every time the bird started it..... good thing I can read and realized shortly after that that it was contentment. Poor bird probably thought they moved in with a flake (and they did).

So thankful I'm a little more educated.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Whenever Eros sees us coming to open his cage, he gets full on vibrations and looks like a feathered buzzy hover craft :roflmao:
So I would say it is excitement for Blu too!:joyful:
How cute!
When I did a real quick Google search about parrots shivering, I read that Lovies are little vibrators, and also read about African greys shivering but I didn't see anything specifically about quakers shivering so I just wanted to make sure it was true across all species.

When I first got the amazons Secret would grind her beak and I thought it was like us....when our teeth chatter we are so cold. I would race to the cage every time the bird started it..... good thing I can read and realized shortly after that that it was contentment. Poor bird probably thought they moved in with a flake (and they did).

So thankful I'm a little more educated.
:lol:
Thank you!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They also do similar rearranging their feathers so they look beautiful for their chosen ones, a birdy has to have his standards.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I don't know about other species or individuals but peach faced lovebirds literally vibrate when they are excited, like Callie said. Peanut will vibrate so hard she slides off her feet sometimes when she's running across the computer desk to greet me (or get millet...) It's very precious.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think you meant Laurie!;)
Oh geez! I am so embarrassed and so sorry! I had a feeling I did that because I am on my phone and was in a rush to respond earlier. I was thinking to rotate my phone and double check but I was in hopping in my car and rushing. I'm so sorry ladies!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
No problem at all!:laugh: