• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strongly Considering a Lovebird

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! That's a mouthful :hehe:

I'm glad you'll have your baby cutie for Christmas :starshower1:

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Wow! That's a mouthful :hehe:

I'm glad you'll have your baby cutie for Christmas :starshower1:
I know, Huh! :faint: It'll be fun getting Adam to repeat his mutation. :hehe: I'll just call him Mo! But I love knowing what his mutation is. I start a new job the Monday after I get him too. too much good/new stuff in the next week or so.

Last edited:

Rolanda

He looks like a Dutch blue double violet factor pied peach faced lovebird.
Thank you SOOO much.
Why does the mutation name say nothing about the other colors? One could have a green based bird with the same mutation name couldn't you?

By the way just for interest here are pictures of his siblings. There was a total of 4 in the clutch. They are all different!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Why does the mutation name say nothing about the other colors? One could have a green based bird with the same mutation name couldn't you?
Which other colors do you mean? Pied means that the bird has yellow feathers in random areas of its body. If the bird had a green body with the yellow areas, the bird would be a pied, not a Dutch blue pied.

Rolanda

Which other colors do you mean? Pied means that the bird has yellow feathers in random areas of its body. If the bird had a green body with the yellow areas, the bird would be a pied, not a Dutch blue pied.
OH! I didn't know Pied meant the yellow feathers. I thought it meant the multi-colored speckled, mixed look. GOT IT!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
OH! I didn't know Pied meant the yellow feathers. I thought it meant the multi-colored speckled, mixed look. GOT IT!
In reality, only the yellow is random areas. The random looking other colors only look that way because of where the yellow feathers are.

Rolanda

In reality, only the yellow is random areas. The random looking other colors only look that way because of where the yellow feathers are.

So it's like the old question "Is a zebra black with white stripes or white with black stripes?". This baby is dutch blue and the yellow is the random
spots. What makes him Double violet in your eyes?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What makes him Double violet in your eyes?
The deep violet colored rump, and the strong violet tone in the body's blue/violet areas.

Rolanda

More questions for you Lovie Momies & Daddies...

When buying items (ladders, toys...) and even nutriberries what sized items do I get? Is tiel close enough? Budgie is too small. Sometimes they do not list Lovebird.

Oh... Here's the latest picture of my baby Mo...
She has clipped his wings, but not too much she said. She sent me a video and he was still able to flap to her.

His pretty colors from the back.

Last edited:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Soooooo adorable! It's great he's getting used to branches :xflove:

Did you ever notice that baby birds feathers look wet or greasy or something? I don't know why this is :facepalm:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
He's so cute! :heart:

When buying items (ladders, toys...) and even nutriberries what sized items do I get? Is tiel close enough? Budgie is too small. Sometimes they do not list Lovebird.
Anything sized from budgie to cockatiel/small conure Kumo does well with. Perch sizes are generally 1/2" - 3/4" but he does fine with a larger perch. I typically won't buy a smoother perch, like manzanita, for him if it's on the wider side, though.
I would start with things like toys on the smaller scale and work up to the ones sized for the 'tiels and small conures.

Kumo likes his food small and he usually won't even open up safflower seeds. :hehe:
I had him on finch/canary sized treats and pellets and now he's on the budgie size Zupreem Naturals.
He wasn't even remotely interested with the cockatiel sized ones so I would go for a budgie size rather then a 'tiel. :)

Rolanda

Soooooo adorable! It's great he's getting used to branches :xflove:

Did you ever notice that baby birds feathers look wet or greasy or something? I don't know why this is :facepalm:

I notice that around his face/mouth. I just figured they didn't quite know what to do yet-the feathers that is. LOL

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Such a cute little bundle of colours. He suits his name perfectly. :)

I like to shop in the 'small' and 'medium' sections for mine but, depending on what kind of toy it is, I might select something from the larger section as well (I'd obviously avoid swings/perch type toys with really big diameters or anything made of hard wood that's meant to be chewed - since I can't imagine it'll get much use.) Gem has never been a fan of ladders, and I've never given one to Panda - but they both enjoy boings. Toy size is also dependant on the size of the cage you want to house him in. The bigger the cage - the more room there is for bigger, more interesting toys to climb around on.

As for food - I was told when I got Gem that foods catering to cockatiels would be suitable to lovebirds. Ive found that the bigger the pellet I give them (they eat cockatiel sized zupreem natural mixed with budgie sized fruit pellets and Gem used to eat the small-ish Hagen cockatiel pellets), the more apt they are to soak their pellets in their water. Where there's a will - there's a way. :p I've found nutriberries to be kind of messy - if I feed them by hand, Gem takes off large chunks but drops most of them and if I throw them in a bowl in her cage, they end up on the cage floor. I don't know if they come in different sizes, my bag doesn't say but they're essentially the size of a quarter in spherical format. Personally, I kind of like avicakes better - they're softer and easier for the birds to rip apart.

Rolanda

He's so cute! :heart:

Anything sized from budgie to cockatiel/small conure Kumo does well with. Perch sizes are generally 1/2" - 3/4" but he does fine with a larger perch. I typically won't buy a smoother perch, like manzanita, for him if it's on the wider side, though.

I would start with things like toys on the smaller scale and work up to the ones sized for the 'tiels and small conures.

Kumo likes his food small and he usually won't even open up safflower seeds. :hehe:

I had him on finch/canary sized treats and pellets and now he's on the budgie size Zupreem Naturals.
He wasn't even remotely interested with the cockatiel sized ones so I would go for a budgie size rather then a 'tiel. :)
Tiny food but no Safflowers? What bird doesn't LOVE safflowers?:cool4:
Beaks eats them ALL. He makes me want to try them!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Tiny food but no Safflowers? What bird doesn't LOVE safflowers?
I know right? Confuses the heck out of me.
He'll totally go for a broken up piece of de-shelled sunflower seed though!
He can be a complicated little guy, sometimes. :lol:

Rolanda

Such a cute little bundle of colours. He suits his name perfectly. :)

I like to shop in the 'small' and 'medium' sections for mine but, depending on what kind of toy it is, I might select something from the larger section as well (I'd obviously avoid swings/perch type toys with really big diameters or anything made of hard wood that's meant to be chewed - since I can't imagine it'll get much use.) Gem has never been a fan of ladders, and I've never given one to Panda - but they both enjoy boings. Toy size is also dependant on the size of the cage you want to house him in. The bigger the cage - the more room there is for bigger, more interesting toys to climb around on.

As for food - I was told when I got Gem that foods catering to cockatiels would be suitable to lovebirds. Ive found that the bigger the pellet I give them (they eat cockatiel sized zupreem natural mixed with budgie sized fruit pellets and Gem used to eat the small-ish Hagen cockatiel pellets), the more apt they are to soak their pellets in their water. Where there's a will - there's a way. :p I've found nutriberries to be kind of messy - if I feed them by hand, Gem takes off large chunks but drops most of them and if I throw them in a bowl in her cage, they end up on the cage floor. I don't know if they come in different sizes, my bag doesn't say but they're essentially the size of a quarter in spherical format. Personally, I kind of like avicakes better - they're softer and easier for the birds to rip apart.

I've never tried Avicakes but was just looking at them thinking about it. Beaks gets 2 Nutriberries or Pellet berries (I alternate) per day and I like to switch them up so I could go Avicakes next time and maybe crumble or cut (don't know if they will cut-never used them) them for Mo.
A Nutriberry was recommended by the breeder fro variety. I think she may have been/be trying the babies on a bit of them. I can make my own judgement though.