• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aloe Detox Suggestions

ScragShags

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mike
About a month ago, we started noticing some unusual behaviors from Evie, our pearly conure. It was mostly lethargy, but we also were noticing some "stuffy-sounding" breathing and talking. We took her to the vet and described the symptoms we were seeing. The vet took her weight and she had also lost a couple grams. After a stool and blood test, we were given a broad-spectrum antibiotic, Enrofloxacin (which we've since discontinued on the vet's behest).

Over the next two weeks, we saw very mild improvements and opted for an x-ray at our recheck with the vet. Turns out she had an enlarged liver and ventriculus and this was intruding on her air sac space. Given the results on the blood test (increased counts for specific bacterial white blood cells), the assumption was it was bacterial in nature. The vet also seemed confident that the liver was the primary issue with the ventriculus being secondary. So, another two weeks went by and Evie was on a new regimen (Doxycycline (antibiotic), Meloxicam (anti-inflammatory), and Lactulose with Milk Thistle) with an enzyme supplement. This time we saw some pretty significant improvements to her energy levels. She was still sick but she now had the energy to fake it better.

At our most recent recheck, another x-ray showed a very subtle decrease in her liver and ventriculus sizes (about .1 - .2 cm to the diameter length). I was hoping for a more drastic decrease given the improved energy levels. The vet decided that, given her improved energy levels, the best course of action would be to continue her current medication over the next month and see where she's at then.

My girlfriend is pretty savvy when it comes to bird research and found something called an Aloe Detox, which is supposed to be good for liver-detoxifying. We were discussing supplementing her medication with this detox, especially given the fact that she put some weight back on and we're looking to make some changes to her diet. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands or personal experience using an Aloe Detox?

For the record: fatty liver disease has been considered, but given her blood work, the vet seems convinced that the problem is bacterial in nature. Additionally, while her diet is not perfect, seeds and other fatty foods, make up a modest portion of it. That said, if anyone has any healthy liver dietary advice, that would be of interest as well.

Thanks!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
For liver support; low protein foods and only vegetable protein, low fat (so remove seeds and other fatty foods). Milk Thistle and Lactulose are very good for liver support, but instead of Aloe Detox (I don't think it does a darned thing) ask your vet about adding SAMe to her medications.

Fill her diet with green leafy veggies (Swiss chard, romaine lettuce - high in protein, mustard greens, etc.) and a good quality pellet. All orange, red and yellow veggies are great for Vit. A and many birds are lacking Vit. A.

Also since she has been ill for some time look into giving her DMG. It is a general immune system support drug and is widely recommended by avian vets.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used Aloe Detox with a bird who was diagnosed with severe liver damage. In fact the diagnosis was end stage. However, liver cells can regenerate if given time. She did recover and my vet and I both felt that the aloe detox was beneficial. I added some to her water daily. Don't remember how much I added since it was several years ago. She did pass away 8 years later but not from liver issues. The liver problem had been resolved.

Aloe Detox used to be Naturade brand but now it is Lily of the Desert.

Here are some articles about aloe detox and liver disease:
Liver Disease / Fatty Liver in Birds
Lily of the desert Aloe Herbal Detox Formula | Feathered Angels
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician V - Herbal Remedies For Parrots and Pet Birds (scroll down for the aloe detox info)

Agree w/ @Hankmacaw regarding the vetri-DMG

If she has bacterial issues then DMG can be helpful in supporting the immune system and enhancing function of the body's systems.

ScragShags

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mike
Thank you both for your responses. In regards to the Lily of the Desert aloe detox, it looks like my local Whole Foods sells that exact brand. We'll pick some up this weekend. We'll also look into the DMG since you both mentioned it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Evie continues to improve!:hug8:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be really careful with using a detox in a bird being treated for bacterial infection. Check with the vet to make sure the detox won't interfere with the metabolism of the antibiotics, because you definitely wouldn't want to be washing those out.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
For people who have used Aloe Detox, if giving by water, some have used up to 50% dilution with water, given daily. Some have put aloe detox on anything the bird would eat, such as toast, without being diluted.

As you've already found out, the best place to find it locally is health food stores or "high end" grocery stores.

As mentioned, it doesn't hurt to check with your a-vet about using it.

Also, up the veggies! You could even try feeding sprouted seeds over dry seeds. There is some debate about whether or not sprouted seeds are healthier than dry seeds, but one thing is for sure, their water content is higher! And a lot of birds consume a diet that is too dry for them because they don't get enough, or any, fresh foods!