• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, I want to learn more about Linnie's please forgive me I'm not too sure how to participate..

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
I've never participated in any forums or comptr. groups...I'm a bit of a dinosaur. Here's my question, is it ok to use a Maple branch, scrubbed down with vinegar as a perch for my new baby Linnie?

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Not sure if my message went out to you all, I had asked if it would be ok to use a Maple branch scrubbed down with vinegar as a perch for my new baby Linnie? Thanks.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Hi the message was sent the first time, just fyi.
I struggle with computer stuff sometimes too :pcwhack:

Maple wood is OK.
I'm not sure vinegar would do the job alone, but I can see where bleach might soak in.
I'd suggest a product called F10 which you'll want to have around for general cleaning anyway.
Is the branch small enough to put into a low oven for a bit to kill bugs and bacteria?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. To use the forum you pick the particular forum that seems most appropriate for your post or question.

I have not tried it personally but others have said to soak the branch in bleach water. Then wash and rinse it very thoroughly and put it out in the sun to dry.

Others suggest baking it in a low oven like @MommyBird suggested.

Go to the DIY drive there are several posts there about making your own perches.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Welcome. To use the forum you pick the particular forum that seems most appropriate for your post or question.

I have not tried it personally but others have said to soak the branch in bleach water. Then wash and rinse it very thoroughly and put it out in the sun to dry.

Others suggest baking it in a low oven like @MommyBird suggested.

Go to the DIY drive there are several posts there about making your own perches.

I do the bleach water and soak in sun method. if the sun isn't out, the bleach alone will do the job. Bleach neutralizes once dried on the surface of whatever you are trying to disinfect. For safety measures would be a good Idea to rinse off the bleach,after letting bleach sit for about 10 min. or so, then let it dry in sun, the sun UVA rays are a natural source of disinfecting .

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I've used one part bleach to 9 parts of water in spray bottles to clean toys and perches. And yes, let it air dry thoroughly.

Don't worry about being new. Welcome! Their are places here to introduce yourself and your bird, to learn about diet and recipes, to meet other Linnie owners, etc. Explore and ask questions when you have them. Everybody here started as a beginner, too.
:welcomeflag::welave:

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
Welcome!! Linnies are cute! I have never used maple as I don't have access to it close by. I have used lilac to do little swing branches. I have a very big lilac in my back yard.

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
My linnies were the first of my fids. They were a rehome. They are now a year old. They are little monkeys and climb a lot. I also have a little GCC. She is a mommy's girl. Linnies are fast little ground runners and I love to sit and watch them flip and swing. I really hope you enjoy getting to have your linnie soon!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I can't wait to have my baby Linnie come home...He/she is being handfed right now, last time I saw him/her it didn't have feathers..hahaha now he's all feathered out and cobalt blue. I'm going into town tomorrow to see/meet:heart: him, Can't wait!
I hope that it goes well for you today.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Take pictures of your baby if you can.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Like said before Linnies are little loves. The males will often talk a bit. Be careful of their toenails as they grow fast and long which will require frequent grooming. Linnies absolutely love to eat. You should have no problem getting their veggies and fruits consumed. They do love to climb so climbing nets and toys are good. Two negatives and they are not really big negatives. Linnies have rapid metabolism and their droppings are messy and often. The other one is you need to be very careful when they are out of the cage because they love to burrow into soft things like chair cushions.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi, Thank you all for your great replies...I didn't get to see my baby the other night. She lives 45 minutes away and asked me to come this week-end, I'm hoping saturday will be ok..It's so hard to wait to see him. She has three , two colbalts and a torquoise, so I guess I have first pick..wish it was Saturday. Last time I saw the littlest (which I thought was mine) it didn't have feathers. hahaha It won't be ready to come home til Christmas or shortly there after...I really want him eating well before he comes home. I love your rescue Linnies Jessie. Thanks for the great advise Lady Jane! I love you guys...talk later.Patty Girl

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi Gals, I GOT TO SEE THE BABY LINNIE"S O.M. Goodness....How does Anyone choose between three absolutely darling little loves like that?! They were all so sweet, The littlest one (cobalt) is most likely female, her color especially on top of her head was a beautiful blue, she was sweet and quiet, the other cobalt, most likely male was a real "cracker jack" he was adorable! He stayed right with me. The breeder said "I think he's chosen you..."hahaha. The turquoise was really pretty and had a very sweet disposition too. I'm not sure if two Linnies would be too much for us at first, or if it would be great. If I got two the other one would be the turquoise I think. What do you all think? One or two? ahaha Talk later, Patty Girl.