• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

On emoji and advertising...

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I mostly use my phone to access AA. There's two issues I've encountere and thought I should mention eventually.

I guess eventually has arrived.

1. Using emoji. This is really only an issue when I can't remember the :name: shortcut. If I were to guess, I think the problem is that the site is actually pushing a copy of every single emoji when I open the menu... instead of only one tab at a time. It takes me a literal 4-5 minutes to open up the emoji menu (I timed it while connected to wifi at school... It's slower on the road). Perhaps on the back end a change could be made to only load the current tab of the emoji menu? Or if that is currently happening, to have the default be non-animated smilies with a new tab for "Most used"?

And since I'm on the topic:
image.jpeg
Perhaps someone could look into the padding on the emoji display in portrait orientation? It's hard to change tabs with all those cute birdies in the air... :) (This is actually resolved by turning to landscape orientation, but I do so much like my keyboard in Portrait mode. And the time to open the emoji menu is the same either way.)

2. Advertisement size. Would it be possible to have mobile-specific ads? I love our vendors and have met some really great new ones through the lovely "announcements" at the top of the forum! The down side is that I think they can be rather big to load (lots of high-resolution colors/animation). I've noticed that loading of the front page has really bogged down as the number of banners increased. (When I accessed the forum through a friend's identical phone who had ad blocking software and compared it to my own load times over the same wifi, there was a real and noticeable difference). I'm NOT endorsing ad blocking nor am I saying we should stop with ads! It would be nice though to have ads that load QUICKLY on a mobile device. :D

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I've noticed issue 1 but not so much issue 2. My issue with the ads on mobile is that I go to scroll and accidentally click one :wacky:
Good points brought up! :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It honestly sounds like you have slow service. We are aware of the emoji's being cluddered and having to turn mobile sideways to see them properly. We have been looking into that.

None of the emoji's load slow and our page load times ( even with ads ) are faster than average sites. The mobile ads are mobile specific which is why they look different from the desktop banners.

I've tested quite a few mobile devices and not had slow load times.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
The only thing we can do about the emojis is block Danita from adding more :p I only access the site through mobile service on my phone or iPad and don't see any significant time in loading either the emojis or the ads. The only time I have long load times is when I am at our cabin in the middle of nowhere where the cell service sucks. It has to be a service related issue

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Ah... Ok. So I almost never use a laptop anymore. I realized that my tablet is probably picked up by AA as a mobile device (despite the full keyboard)... So I'm not aware of the difference in ads. And I checked... It appears that the diagnosis of slow internet is accurate. It seems to vary by platform for me. My tablet gets >30 Mbps download but my phone is around 1-2 Mbps in the same location, on the same wifi network. Now I'm wondering if it's an issue with old hardware. (Will have Husband look into it! I'm a much happier old bird if I get my AA fix in the morning.)

Thanks much for all your hard work!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, I have tablets set to mobile. Most tablets could run the desktop ads but the few that can't would really have a mess with the overhang. Better safe than sorry with with that IMO.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
(When I accessed the forum through a friend's identical phone who had ad blocking software and compared it to my own load times over the same wifi, there was a real and noticeable difference).
This is not an accurate comparison identical hardware or not. It's your hardware. It's configured different (customized) with different apps that run/do not run in the background.

Have your friends load the site with the ad blocker turned off. Better comparison but still not accurate.

Go here and test your speed.

Internet Speed Test | Fast.com

What kind of phone do you have and how old is it?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
John's got it right, I have no problem with #1 and I am 90% on iPad or iPhone. And often on the road at the same time.

I do tend to hit the ad banner instead of wherever I meant to go...so if you are tracking clicks....half are from me!!!:roflmao: