• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New A & E cage

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I received the 32 X 23 cage on Wednesday. Looked like one of the boxes was tossed around. A few parts are bent. The top piece is bowed but I can easily flatten that out. I am concerned about how it will fit because of the bent areas where it sits. Tried to tweak those but can't. There is a bag of screws but no listing as to how many of each screw one is supposed to received. The instructions on how to assemble are absolutely HORRIBLE. However, there is a diagram and although it is not a very good diagram I can figure things out from there and also just looking at the cage and the parts. In addition, I found a youtube video on how to assemble the A&E play top (smaller version but should still work).

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

Just 2 examples of damage to one of the boxes.

ae back panel.jpg ae front panel.jpg tray.jpg tray2.jpg

Front & back panels and trays (some additional dents in one of the trays).

The side panels are also tweaked where the grate needs to be placed.
This isn't major damage but I would have preferred nothing bent or dented. IMO, the cages need to be packed better. More padding inside, thicker boxes, extra cardboard edging and more straps. Not saying that this would guarantee that there would be no damage but it would probably be beneficial. They need to have someone rewrite the assembly instructions.

Instructions:
1. Screw 2X wheels onto bottom of Front wire & Back wire:
2. Attach Front , Back, Left, Right wire together with screws to form a Body;
3. Slide Top wire onto top of Body;
4. Slide Tray into the Body from the Front wire;
5. Put 4x Seed guards in place above Bar around the Body;
6. Slide Tray and Grill into the Body from; (I think that is supposed to be frame or maybe front??)
7. Assembly stairs and Toy Hook Stand onto the top of the Body;
8. Open the Front door and put Perch from left to right inside the Body;
9 Open the dish door and put the dish into the holder;
10. Fixup all the screws.

I am very used to the ease of putting together the Avian Adventures cages, and, yes, @camelotshadow , you were probably right and I should have passed on this cage. I do like this platinum color better than the AA platinum.

Last edited by a moderator:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry,
Guess I'd rather be dealing with broken cages rather than broken foot but those trays are not good.

Looks like a Fed ex job to me but guess UPS has there days too.

Don;t like the trays like that esp the 2nd one. Its dangerous & will rust.
I'd demand other trays!

Guess the bend inside is not structural as long as the finish is not damaged.

I think they should just pick that up free & send you another or refund your money.

:cry3:

I could spit acid now I am so mad...2 x this week med transport was late & did not come with a wheelchair!!!!!! Now they say they are sending one next week but they said that the other 2X & still no wheel chair.

:crycry2:

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just read your post and I am so sorry. You need to step it up, speak with a supervisor and file a complaint. You need to push for an immediate appt. and speak with a supervisor at the clinic you are going to.

As for the cage, mybirdstore.com is going to replace both trays. As for sending another cage, it could be even worse. I told the rep at mybirdstore to hold off on sending anything until I start putting it together because if anything is missing they can send that out along with the trays.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry Roswell....brought the cage parts upstairs and Roswell got very excited and started dancing. Sorry guy but you recently got a ruby Chiquita play top and this is not for you. He kept saying "green" but then he doesn't have the word "platinum" in his vocabulary. :D

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
That's unfortunate. The trays on one of my second hand cages are squashed like that and they are a pain. Glad they're sending you new ones.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My no name playtop cage had a few bent bars but the trays were in good shape. I unbent things and it's a nice cage for a good price and Lurch and now Dobby love it.
Glad they'll send you the new parts and hope you don't have to wait too long.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm going to attempt to unbend the parts that the grate and the top panel sit on. Would be nice to be able to walk into a store here and just buy a nice assembled cage at a reasonable price. Did that at Inglebrook Forges. Could go in and pick out a cage. Limited cages at Petsmart and Petco and local bird store (not all that local) cages are pricey compared to purchasing online.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If you can borrow or buy a hand metal bending plyer style clamp thing like I use at work you could probably be able to get it close enough to work well.
I put in counter flashing and have to custom bend 6 and 8" flashing peices all the time plus doing some hammer work with a rubber mallet, peice of wood, whatever it takes to unbend a damaged piece or cover.
I'd take a shot as your getting new ones anyway so nothing to loose but having usable spare parts around.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not getting new panels just getting new trays. The paint is already cracking on the trays where they got bent so don't know if I want to try to bend them back. One part even looks like it is pulling away from the welding. Will wait until I get the new trays before I try anything. Hopefully they will be better.
Would be useful for the panels but don't know anyone I could borrow a hand metal bending plier style clamp from. I know that my blunt nose pliers did not work but used my old one that doesn't clamp well. Had a newer one in the laundry room the other day and now I can't find it. Wrapped the area I am trying to unbend because I don't want to scrape the paint but a small area got scraped so I am trying to be extra careful.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Wow the delivery company did a number on your cage

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
2 boxes for the cage and only one delivered at first. Had the delivery guy check his truck to make sure the second package wasn't in there and I watched him toss the other packages around. The panels were in that first box but the bent trays were in the 2nd one which didn't look as if it had any damage but I have no doubts it was tossed around causing damage to the contents.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
UPS
Box #1 arrived on rented Enterprise truck w/ UPS driver, #2 arrived on UPS truck.
Checking other parts....main dowel perch is cracked although usable. Will be using other perches but still...should not have a crack in it.
Have not opened the boxes for my Avian Adventures cages yet.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
UPS shipping sucks, they toss things around then try to deny any claims saying item was improperly packed. Even if you buy extra insurance they try to weasel out of it. Businesses use them because they get a better price and they'll pickup on site.
I like the good old USPS, usually cheaper, mostly things arrive intact, and they will pay a real insurance claim.
Got a 21" tube monitor back when that was a expensive thing to get on eBay and box arrived with big holes in it.
Driver told my sister take it as is or he'd take it back if she didn't sign off and accept it. He wouldn't let her open it either unless she accepted it. Luckily it turned out to be perfect condition and the seller was horified when I told him what happened as the box was perfect when he shipped it.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
New trays are great. Those are pretty bad as the finish is cracked & one is separated.
Trays get washed & that area will rust up bad.

I'd just leave that internal bar bent. Bending it back could crack the paint & thats worse. Its inside & cosmetic from what I can see.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had packages repackaged by the delivery service with no note whatsoever. My GX7 was delivered without the B&H tape sealing the package. When I opened the box the inside was wet. Contacted B&H and exchanged. Another time I ordered some juice for my mom. Package arrived in a different box from the vendor's usual box and when I opened it there were only 3 bottles and the inside of the box was stained.
You were lucky with your monitor!

I do think that heavier boxes, more bubble wrap and extra cardboard around the edges might have helped protect the cage parts better.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I've had packages repackaged by the delivery service with no note whatsoever. My GX7 was delivered without the B&H tape sealing the package. When I opened the box the inside was wet. Contacted B&H and exchanged. Another time I ordered some juice for my mom. Package arrived in a different box from the vendor's usual box and when I opened it there were only 3 bottles and the inside of the box was stained.
You were lucky with your monitor!

I think Fed ex did that to me as the woman said the box I described was much bigger than the box she mailed. They just threw a 50 year old thick set of aristocrat stainless pots in the box.
The stock pot took a beating as I guess a handle went through it & it got a big dent into the internal sandwich layers. I had to return it for a refund but it cost me almost $40 postage out of my pocket to send ot back just to get back a measly $100. I guess I should have kept it.
That was before ebay started making sellers pay postage back.
Clearly it was not packed well but I don;t know if she did it or her box got messed up so bad Fed ex just threw it in another. I think the label was altered if I remember so it may have been Fed EX...

They busted so many things that I stopped using them & avoided them like the plague but I have had to on occassion & if its reall packed well with lots of space around the item & lots of padding or double boxed it could arrive well. Luckily my laptop made it...that was a big risk but they would not ship it any other way. They did ship it in its original box & then padded that box very well inside another box. I also got 3 bowls ok bubbled wrapped & loaded with peanuts & foam.

You have to pack things right especially with Fed EX or there is going to be damage.

@Dartman Agree about USPS. I try to get important things or all things delivered but they do charge more esp if its heavy. Still they have flat rate & regional rate boxes for smaller heavier items. USPS delivers right to my door no problems ever with them & they deliver when they say its out for delivery.

Poor man sent my microscope parcel ground & it cost him $60 with ins for 15 lbs. He only charged me $15 as that's what his listing said. I was going to pay him toward that but it was his error as he had not calculated right & I felt bad for him but as the scope is still in its box unopened I don;t even know whats in there or if its broke & I paid $200 for it. The neighbor had to get the package inside as it was outside my door big as life & I was on crutches.

That was 3 weeks ago so guess I better try to get over to the box with the scooter & see if I can get into it & at least see things look ok or I guess I'm out $215...
I trust he put the microscope in there & the box looks fine & I tried to shake it when it was on the floor & no rattling...
That's what happens when your life is messed up by some hit & run driver...

So figure $60 for 15lbs & you don;t want to think about shipping a 100 lb cage USPS

Best buy sent a 2 oz bubble envelope mini sd data card UPS!... The envelope looked like it was stepped on & all dirty...

:cry3::cry3:

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I'm sorry this happened!
I only ever had one cage shipped here and it was the EH SS cage. I think they took extra care with that one, since everything came in the shape it was meant to.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I'm sorry this happened!
I only ever had one cage shipped here and it was the EH SS cage. I think they took extra care with that one, since everything came in the shape it was meant to.
I think that will be my next cage to acquire....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry this happened!

Thanks. I wish I had the $$$ for an EH cage but, unfortunately, I don't. I can buy multiple cages for what it costs for one EH but, of course, not SS and not the quality. Both the shipper and the delivery company are at fault. The cage could have been packed better and the delivery people could have been more careful. Not the first time I've experienced this and it probably won't be the last time.
If there was a local store that had quality cages at a reasonable price I would go there and get one. The cage store that was nearby closed a few years ago. Except for the trays the cages I bought from have held up quite well.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Thanks. I wish I had the $$$ for an EH cage but, unfortunately, I don't. I can buy multiple cages for what it costs for one EH but, of course, not SS and not the quality. Both the shipper and the delivery company are at fault. The cage could have been packed better and the delivery people could have been more careful. Not the first time I've experienced this and it probably won't be the last time.
If there was a local store that had quality cages at a reasonable price I would go there and get one. The cage store that was nearby closed a few years ago. Except for the trays the cages I bought from have held up quite well.

On that last point - local store with quality cages at a reasonable price, I totally hear you. If I find myself in a situation to have to replace my cages, I'm not sure I'll have that option. And while I love my SS cage, it is not necessarily a necessity with my smaller birds as it was with Léa (who was stripping the powder coating off her first cage). There used to be stores here where I could get good cages at an ok price, and not have to worry about in which state it would get to me through shipping. But now...not so much.