• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cooper the GCC, and His Horror Story

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
Poor cooper! Glad he's in better hands now :hug4:

GCCs have scratchy little voices normally. Hope it's just that and not from cigarettes!

I have my two GCCs in a hq double flight cage. They also make single flight cages, as Lo_ posted above.

Laura729

Jogging around the block

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Charlie, my mitred conure, I often feed him cockatiel sized pellets. Generally speaking though, many pellet companies make *ONE* pellet for all species... from budgies on up to macaws... which makes no sense when they have completely different diets out in the wild.

The reason for this though is due to his beak. He's missing half of his lower beak, so he can't eat hard foods like a "normal" bird can. With the "conure" or "medium" sized pellets, there is more waste when he eats them. Smaller pellets equal less waste.

Saying that, I'm honestly not a big fan of many medium and large species seed mixes. Many of them are just full of crap to begin with... Some of the small ones aren't that great, either... but it is what it is. And I'm not a nutritional expert by any means, so this is just IMO!

There are a lot of well meaning, but uninformed people out there. Some people try and learn to expand their knowledge, but things don't really "click", you could say. Hopefully, Cooper hasn't suffered too much damage from being in that home. I'm sure that with good care, he'll flourish in your home! :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on bringing Cooper into the flock.

His past is now past...now onto a happy life with you...:)

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Congrats on bringing Cooper home.
Thanks so much for saving him. He's at the right home now :heart:
and will get all the love and attention he deserves.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Congrats on rescuing Cooper. GCC are awesome parrots, so full of personality in a compact size. We have two GCC's and absolutely love them. I feed mine Harrison's pellets and they enjoy them a lot. They have a crumbles size and a coarse size pellet. The coarse size is very large and they need to hold it in their feet and pick it apart, but mine love the larger size. So experiment around with brands and sizes of pellets, you never know what kind Cooper might like. If you email some of the major pellet companies, they will send you free samples in the mail. That way you and Cooper can test them out before you buy them. Let me know if you end up on Harrisons! Mine two Conure's love it and their feather health is incredible.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Congrats to Cooper on finding a wonderful home! Thank you for giving him a new home and the love he deserves!
I have HQ flights for each of my GCC's and there is so much room for toys and play! And you can make playgrounds on top of the cage, too. Rhoma and Rhema eat Roudybush crumbles or small pellets and occasionally get Safflower Gold seed mix. No peanuts and no sunflower seed in it. Ernie the Senegal is liking the pellets and seed mix, too. They get chop twice a day. Rhoma was by far the hardest to convert from seed diet to fresh foods and pellets, but the transformation in her feathers, health and attitude was totally worth the effort and time!

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Thank you guys all so much for the replies! I'll look into those cages, and do some more research as well!
As promised here are some pictures of Cooper!
He loves grapes, hates when I touch his cage, and wolf whistles when I do kissy noises at him!
IMG_3397.JPG IMG_3398.JPG IMG_3402.JPG IMG_3412.JPG IMG_3409.JPG IMG_3411.JPG

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
not a bad cage/ seen worse. still it was dirty n she smoked.

hes cute...

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
That's exactly why I need a new one. The "dirtiness" is at a new level. It would probably take me a good four or five hours to take this cage apart and clean it to my standard, so I want to start fresh with a cage that doesn't smell like smoke.
EDIT: Thank you, by the way! I like when people think my bird is cute!

MissTee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
Wow, glad you got him out of there!!!! It makes me so sad to think there are people who treat their animals like that. UGH makes me mad thinking about. Glad he has you now! :) He is absolutely gorgeous!!!