• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird-Safe Heaters?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Hi all! I was thinking about purchasing a space heater and did a little nosing around here about bird-safe options. I found some older threads discussing Eden Pure and deLonghi (@saroj12), but just wanted to check in and see if those are still recommended or if there are any others that people have been using safely. I was also curious about the Dyson heaters and was planning to call them today to see if they were bird-safe. Any input from those who have went down this road before would be appreciated! :)

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
We use Patton heaters, to be specific, its called Patton Milkhouse Utility Heater.
When I called and talked to a Patton rep, I was told it was birdsafe.
This is the second winter Ive used them and no problems.
I also found info on the web last year about them being birdsafe but havent found that link yet.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
We use Patton heaters, to be specific, its called Patton Milkhouse Utility Heater.
When I called and talked to a Patton rep, I was told it was birdsafe.
This is the second winter Ive used them and no problems.
I also found info on the web last year about them being birdsafe but havent found that link yet.

Thanks for the recommendation! Definitely very affordable-- love that!

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have the Delonghi oil filled heater, and love it! I also called Delonghi and confirmed that it is 100% bird-safe.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have the Delonghi oil filled heater, and love it! I also called Delonghi and confirmed that it is 100% bird-safe.
Thanks!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I have 2 Dyson AM05 Heat+Cool units. It uses a similar technology to their hand dryers, air blade technology.
Pros:
  • Small
  • Lightweight
  • Energy Efficient
  • Will heat a small/medium room quite quickly on a relatively low setting
  • Adjustable thermostat from 15C to 30C.
  • Can use as a fan during summer
  • Remote control
  • Excellent range of fan speed settings, 10 IIRC
  • Easily stored when not in use
  • Has a motorised swivel base to disperse heat/air around the room, but there is no gap for anything to catch.
  • 2 year warranty (Australia)
  • Good if there is a recall. They don't hide, no BS....they just deal with it in a timely manner.
  • Surfaces only become warm rather than hot.
  • No spinning blades or grill on fan.
Cons:
  • Exterior is made of plastic - Pretty tough, but cockatoos and macaws could potentially destroy it.
  • Bloody noisy once you set the fan speed above 2 or 3.
  • I wouldn't have it running if I had larger birds out, but I suspect most birds would just avoid it at all costs.
  • May blow dust around, but if you use a fan in summer it makes it pretty difficult to complain about this aspect.
Summary:
If you're energy efficient/greenhouse minded, then aside from the noise of the fan, they're a very good product from a company that provides good customer service. They're not cheap, but do what they say they'll do and I've had mine for 3 years without any issues. I think the Dyson is a good option if I'm looking to heat an area quickly and efficiently for up to 12 hours at a time. If I'm after a product that I'm likely to leave on permanently for days at a time then something like the oil/water column heaters, such as the deLonghi, might be a better choice.

avc

Checking out the neighborhood
I found this forum when I was searching to find out if my heater could have caused the death of my son's budgie. :( I have been surprised at just how hard it has been to locate info on what is safe & what isn't, so I thought I would add this reply I just got from the company that produces our "fireplace" heater.

"LifeSmart heaters are an easy and safe product to be used anywhere in your home. These infrared heaters do not contain teflon or any other chemicals that are harmful to humans, animals, or the environment. These heaters also do not emit any gas into the air."

So I guess it wasn't the heater. . . I have an inspector coming today to test for Radon. I feel so helpless not knowing what killed that little guy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry about your budgie.:( Thanks for posting about the heater, it's always good to know of safe products. I hope your radon levels are low! How old was the budgie? Did he have any symptoms, or was it sudden?