• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you store your pellets/seeds?

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'm a bit nervous to spend a lot of money buying food in bulk and then finding some of it going to waste. I've found Vittles Vaults to store foods well - are there any other good options? Insects and molding are my concerns as I'm in Florida so there's lots of insects and sometimes our house gets warm/humid.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Before the fosters, I would do gallon zip lock bags and freeze what I didn't use in a few weeks as I have always purchased bulk pellets and nutriberries. Now I just use the vital vaults as I go through 40 lbs of nutriberries a month.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Freezer and refrigerator for seeds and pellets. Since I get large bags of seed mix delivered I store that in gallon freezer ziploc bags and then put in the freezer. Vittle vault for treats and other pellets.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Specifically with the Harrisons foods, they are to only be kept in the bags they came in and used within 6 weeks of opening and only stored in the refrigerator. This is what I learned after calling and asking if I could buy the larger bags and split that up into smaller containers, etc. They really don't recommend freezing the bags but I have to do that, I just don't store it in any other container. The bags they come in are designed for that pellet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I save all the screw topped jars I can get for anything not stored in the refrigerator. I live apt and only have limited amount of freezer space. we are not allowed to have small freezer. I can take pictures I you want them.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Freezer and glass jars. You could also try the desiccant and O2 absorber packets. Mylar bags and five gallon buckets work well if you don't want to use glass. All avail. on Amazon. If you are unfamiliar with how to use these, search YouTube for long term food storage DIY's.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I freeze my pellets and keep my sprouting mix in the refrigerator.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Buying in big bulk amounts isn't that practical unless you use it all in a timely fashion. Food gets old and loses a lot of its value.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I buy in bulk and freeze in 1 lb portions. Dry unfrozen stuff is then kept in things like these:

upload_2016-12-8_1-46-23.png

Heather F

Yeah, I buy the 5lb bag of Harrison's and keep it in the freezer. I have a 1lb bag from a previous purchase that I use for the couple weeks' worth that I take out at a time. But the zip top is wearing out on it so eventually I'll likely just keep it in a storage container.

Sky

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Oh I forgot about the freezer - sadly though we don't have the freezer space. We want to get a freezer for the garage later on though.

How long do you think most foods would last outside of the freezer before losing their value? I'm not real sure how quickly my parrots would get through it.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I keep my Harrisons in the original bag but I fold down the top of bag and use a clip to keep it closed as I do not trust those zip locks. I then store the bag in a vittle vault type storage container. Five pounds of coarse lasts one month; one pound of fine lasts one month.

I keep my seed, dried fruits and nut mixes and other stuff in more vittles vault type containers. I never buy more than I can use in one month.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh I forgot about the freezer - sadly though we don't have the freezer space. We want to get a freezer for the garage later on though.

How long do you think most foods would last outside of the freezer before losing their value? I'm not real sure how quickly my parrots would get through it.

Harrisons suggests using everything within 4 or 6 weeks of opening.

cult

Moving in
Real Name
Jonas
Specifically with the Harrisons foods, they are to only be kept in the bags they came in and used within 6 weeks of opening and only stored in the refrigerator. This is what I learned after calling and asking if I could buy the larger bags and split that up into smaller containers, etc. They really don't recommend freezing the bags but I have to do that, I just don't store it in any other container. The bags they come in are designed for that pellet.
That's the trouble for me too since I have only one parrot. It just impossible for her, an Africa Grey, to finish 5 lbs in 6 weeks. I am buying 1 lb bags instead, but it is too expensive and will last less than 4 weeks. Why can't Harrison has some bags of 2.5 or 3 lbs? It will offer people more buying option as well as reduce the cost and protect the environment.

cult

Moving in
Real Name
Jonas
Yeah, I buy the 5lb bag of Harrison's and keep it in the freezer. I have a 1lb bag from a previous purchase that I use for the couple weeks' worth that I take out at a time. But the zip top is wearing out on it so eventually I'll likely just keep it in a storage container.
I wanted to do the same but it was on Harrison's website and product information page saying that the food should be used in 4-6 weeks time or the nutrition would be lost and kept in refrigerator was not helping.