• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he's flying, it might be an excellent time to teach him recall training! ;)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
what do your other 2 think of him?? are there contact calls between Vader and the other Joey?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
what do your other 2 think of him?? are there contact calls between Vader and the other Joey?
Vader has seen Joey and Kevin but showed very little interest. The feeling with mutual with both Kevin and Joey as well. Joey does call down the stairs to Vader when she hears him making noise. It's pretty funny... I really hope they get along.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
If he's flying, it might be an excellent time to teach him recall training! ;)
Not yet. I thought it would be soon last week, but he's shown less of an interest in flying this week it seems. He'd rather just walk around all over the place.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
fingers crossed that they will like each other.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
So new feather question. Vader still doesn't have a center tail feather - just six on each side. I thought perhaps the center one would just come in later because a few days ago it looked like a pin feather was coming out. Well today it looks more like a lump with a weird white feather coming out. I tried to take pictures but this is all I could get with my phone. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I've decided it's probably a feather cyst. Before we go back to the avian vet... Anything important I should know?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ok, i'm going into clinic tomorrow, if the others haven't posted, I will ask Dr. Tony. JMHO here, doesn't look like cyst to me, those get ugly mean looking red kind of like boils that humans get. another JMHO here, could it be his oil gland ? can you look at Joey in the same spot basically and see what her oil gland looks like ?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Joey just had some feathers pulled yesterday and isn't in the happiest of moods. I was able to look though and she too, has two short whitish feathers in the same spot. Of course she also has a center tail feather though.

I took another look at Vader and his spot is actually kinda shaped like a heart. Symmetrical. It doesn't seem to hurt him at all. It might just be how a bird's tail normally looks/feels, I just thought it was odd that it was like that AND there is no center tail feather. I've added a better picture: image.jpeg

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I am almost sure that it is the oil gland that all bird have to water proof their feathers with. but I will let the macaw people answer becuz they know their macaw buddies better then I do. so don't stress yet most likely they will be on in the AM. I 'm having trouble tonight getting to sleep.
I take it that you are a teacher of some sort in Thailand? slime for Christmas eeeeeeeeeeeeek? we will have white Christmas here, 3 to 8 " by Sunday night. then we go to below 0 most likely until New Year's, so send some Thai warmth this way.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It is the uropygial gland, aka "oil gland" or "preening gland". It secrets an oil that can help protect feathers from damage as well as helping to create vitamin D?

Not all parrots have this gland, but I believe most do. :)

There are some health issues related to the preening gland, although I believe most parrots do not suffer from issues with their gland? I could be wrong though...

Diseases of the Uropygial Gland

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Thanks so much! I had heard about this gland but never knew much about it.

Well. Any thoughts on the missing middle tail feather? I actually did google that before I posted. Lol

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I take it that you are a teacher of some sort in Thailand? slime for Christmas eeeeeeeeeeeeek? we will have white Christmas here, 3 to 8 " by Sunday night. then we go to below 0 most likely until New Year's, so send some Thai warmth this way.
I run the math department (also teach 3rd grade) at an all boys school. Lotsssss of slime and gross experiments needed to keep these guys entertained.

I'm envious of the snow, but would only miss it for a day.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not really sure about the missing middle tail feather, but recent photos of his tail would be great! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Monica is right it is the uropygial gland. @Macawnutz is the macaw feather expert and will know how many feathers there supposed to be in a GW tail.

We really do need more pictures of Vader.