• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Rescue Senegal

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
He came out of his cage today after I opened the door and hung out on top for about 45 minutes. He allowed me to give him a few head scratches while he was out. However when it came time to get back into the cage, he was not very happy- unfortunately. He didn't want to step up, and it was quite a process :/. He got a few good bites in on my hand drawing blood, but that doesn't bother me. He eventually came up on my hand. He was trying to make a run for my shoulder, but got my hand instead. Thought we were going to have to towel him :(. I'll be headed out to work soon, so he will be able to have some quiet time while I am gone. Hopefully he isn't too upset. Seems like I am going to have to really work on step up. He's fine with hands through cage bars, but not so much outside. All in good time though. If anyone has any advice, I'd be happy to hear it.

@amy burke , that's awesome he came out and you got him to step up. Sounds like he is doing well.

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I left the door open again and this time he ventured out on his own. He cruised around, checked on the playgym. I worked with him and his clicker touch training. After reading your last post I wondered how I would get him back in...and I just targeted him back in. He follows the chopstick and it worked like a dream

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You can also use a high value treat to get him to go back into the cage. See if he reacts positive to stepping up on a hand held dowel. I teach all my birds to step up on a dowel to avoid being bitten when a bird is in a bad mood or feeling aggressive. Always try to find a way to avoid getting a bite if you can. Biting is their last resort response to them not wanting to do what you want them to do. See if you can find a solution to what you want and what he wants. Compromise if you can. I taught Sunshine that when I say it is "bedtime", it means she must go back in t cage now. I always have to chuckle when she pushes my hand away when I tell her "bedtime, step up", but once I insist and give the cue again in a firm voice, she complies. Teach him word cues and reinforce use of these cues. It really does make communication with your birds easier. With the cockatiels and lovebirds, it saves me having to chase them all over the Birdroom with a capture net. I tell them "bedtime, step up" and they step up one by one and ride my hand or the handle of the net back to their cage. The lovies are so hand shy, they put themselves in the cage and wait for me to close the door. The buddies will never step up, sometimes will put themselves away, but usually need netted, at least Sky does. He seems to love the chase. The budgies get out the least often due to this.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
We started target training yesterday through the cage bars, and he has taken to it quite well. His favorite treat is almond, and he is very particular about it. It's actually funny in that if I am giving him almond and mix it up with a walnut, he takes the walnut and throws it on the floor, then looks at me with a "what the hell do you think you're doing" look. He did not take to step up on a hand help perch, but we will work on it. Since he has taken to target training I will continue to practice with him in the cage, and then once he has mastered that move on to outside of the cage. He is a smart bird, with a streak of stubborn. He will actually do the same thing that I described with the walnut with an almond when he is done with his training. It's like he is saying "okay human, I'm done now".

In other news, he is eating his Harrison's very well. In fact, he is cleaning out the entire bowl each day. We offered some carrot, zuchinni, and radish last night and he sampled all three. His favorites were the carrot shreds and radish. He is becoming used to my hand in the cage to replace food and water bowls, and to clean off perches and the cage grate.

Oh, and we have decided on the name Constantine. Meaning "constant", because he now has a constant home after unknown periods of uncertainty and neglect. He is strong to be able to withstand all that change and make it through, so being named after the Roman emperor who helped to unify the Western and Eastern realms of the Roman Empire seemed fitting. :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Parrots are social beings and any interactions are usually greeted with positive feedback. I think a lot of pets would react well to target training. After all. It is communication.