• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doves are underrated

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Doves are pretty amazing I must say and when I think of pet birds I have never thought of a dove in the pet catagory. I only recently became interested when they started popping up in one of the pet stores here and I started doing some research.
They are so sweet and fun, I wonder why the draw doesn't seem to be there? Because they are not parrots? They fit the criteria that people expect from parrots and then abondon because they cannot fit their expectations of a docile cuddly well behaved bird maybe these wannabe parrot owners would be better ring neck dove owners if they truly want a bird and wouldn't find fault with them also. Just a thought. I'm so infatuated with my doves Pan and Tink. What fun, awesome, beautiful birds they are.
Doves are friends not food :xflove::heart::dove::dove:

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Maybe because the only cultural reference most people have is dirty city pigeons? Also, associated with aviaries, and outdoor activities not so much as house birds, although apparently they adjust well indoors. I like doves too. Maybe someday.

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
I've noticed several times that when I start to get interested on some obscure thing, that thing makes a comeback.

I spent last night looking at the extensive site for a pigeon rescue in CA. Lots of good info on how to properly care for them. Today, I found several listings on Craig's list (not too far from me), and one guy was getting out of the hobby completely. The photos he posted were gorgeous - lots of feathered feet, frilly fantails, etc. Looked like pampered show birds. Would love to just drive over and buy his entire dovecote. There is also an auction site for fancy pigeons, and at least some of the vendors ship. I wasn't on this one for very long, but I'll be back there again.

Doves/pigeons would be a good fit for me. I keep chickens and rabbits outdoors, and have suitable shelters for them. I just LOVE all the fancy breeds!

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
I've been trying to figure out what people "do" with the large aviaries of pigeons. I mean.. they aren't food, right? Are they just for showing? I am learning.. :)

Doves are adorable too. :)

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
I've been trying to figure out what people "do" with the large aviaries of pigeons. I mean.. they aren't food, right? Are they just for showing? I am learning.. :)

(Just revisited this older thread.) Pigeons were traditionally kept for communication (homing pigeons) and meat (squab). Europe still has old structures that used to be pigeon lofts. Since it was a relatively expensive form of meat, the lofts were a status symbol. Keeping them became harder around the 1700's (?), with the introduction of a new rat (what we think of as a typical rat) that could climb the stone walls, and eat the chicks. The new rat (IIRC Rattus Norviticus?) out-competed the native rat, which was the rat known for carrying the flees that spread the Plague.

Anyway, people still race the homers. The tumblers are fun to watch, and even if one doesn't show, it can be a fun challenge to breed the fancies either to Standard, or to produce the rarer colours/patterns. Breeding projects always seem to require a lot of animals to get to the desired goal.

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
(Just revisited this older thread.) Pigeons were traditionally kept for communication (homing pigeons) and meat (squab). Europe still has old structures that used to be pigeon lofts. Since it was a relatively expensive form of meat, the lofts were a status symbol. Keeping them became harder around the 1700's (?), with the introduction of a new rat (what we think of as a typical rat) that could climb the stone walls, and eat the chicks. The new rat (IIRC Rattus Norviticus?) out-competed the native rat, which was the rat known for carrying the flees that spread the Plague.

Anyway, people still race the homers. The tumblers are fun to watch, and even if one doesn't show, it can be a fun challenge to breed the fancies either to Standard, or to produce the rarer colours/patterns. Breeding projects always seem to require a lot of animals to get to the desired goal.
Since posting, I've joined a bunch of pigeon groups on FB to see if I can learn some stuff. The homing instinct just amazes me! However I would be very worried about losing some of the birds over the long distance flights. I suppose the people who keep dozens of pigeons don't mind too much but I think I would. If I had pigeons of my own I would only have a couple.. They would be pets. However, I would still love to allow them out to fly as much as possible!

I wonder what happens if someone sells their pigeons though. Do they try to fly back to their original home? Hmm..

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
When i had 2 pidgeons, sometimes others who where lost would join the flock, at the end i had 12!

When you sell a pidgeon, the new owner typically keeps them locked up a few weeks with good outside vieuw so they can adopt to their new home and memorize the new environment. Then you let them out after a day of no food so they are hungry! This makes them return quickly after a few rounds :)

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I have a friend that keeps homing and rollers. He does it for the love of the birds and doesn't compete or send them long distance. He lets them out st home and trains them etc and often releases the homing at his parents grave site becuause his dad loved to watch them. ❤ I would always be worried about them if I kept them and participated in long range racing also.

The breeder I bought my two doves from had had rollers and homers and fancy pigeons. He let the rollers out for us to watch while we were there and we watched until they came in. He knew his stuff but the more he talked I didn't like some of his thoughts and ways of disease prevention etc. His birds were beautiful and amazing though. The doves belonged to his wife and were kept separate from the pigeons.

The background on pigeons is interesting! I believe it is still more popular in the U.K. Than in the USA however I do see dove keepers and pigeon keepers here and there!

They are precious birds. Mine are pets and I now have four soon to be five unless I sell / give number five away. If I keep this chick then this spring I will allow them to hatch another clutch form my sister. She wants one or two.
They are such good parents. Pan is a very bossy mate and father bit he is a good boy. Tink is more mellow and such a devoted mother. I feel so bad when she is waiting for fake eggs to hatch. She takes it so seriously.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy

People with white ringneck doves sometimes make a business out of them. I'm not sure what I think of this. I don't agree with releasing them which some do because they can't find enough homing pigeons and then the doves get sick and lost and die because they have poor eye sight and are not meant to be released in that manner.
I heard they were used for the 911 anniversary for example when they couldn't find more homing pigeons.

Another thing they do is use them for weddings either for display in a cage ( hopefully) and not releasing them but again some do and it is devastating.
The smart people with doves in aviary are simply devoted pet owners or rescue doves and or pigeons found from above situations from pigeon and dove projects.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

We had tumbler pigeons at the shelter last summer. They were a bonded group of 3, but if they had been singles, I probably would have taken the one home, he was exceptionally affectionate and cuddly. Absolutely gorgeous! But he had two girlfriends and were a life long bonded group. We tried and tried to adopt them to people who came looking for birds with having small children, they were perfect, maybe a little messier with cage cleaning, but hey all birds are messy, its just how you deal with it and prepare for it!!

They ended up going to a group that does educational programs and such, they have been a huge hit!! They were all white / black theme for the group.

Couple pics of them all dry and fluffed up and my buddy all wet when I gave him a bath, still snuggling up!!

tumbler5.jpg tumbler4.jpg tumbler3.jpg tumbler2.jpg tumber1.jpg

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Awww! They can be more messy but as you said it's all in how you deal with it.i just change papers often and they are used to me rolling them up and changing them quickly. They spill their seeds as they pick through it but so do the other birds! I'm so glad the rollers found a happy place!

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
Beautiful birds in that pic!

My next bird/s will be a pigeon. Not sure the breed...I prefer a functional beak and body type. That rules out American fantails, and the extreem short faced birds. Would gladly adopt a wild type (the "dirty" city pigeon) too, if one needing more of a home became available. I'm set up for outdoor birds - lots of hoop house green houses and rabbit enclosures out back. We are running out of space in the house.

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
Awww! They can be more messy but as you said it's all in how you deal with it.i just change papers often and they are used to me rolling them up and changing them quickly. They spill their seeds as they pick through it but so do the other birds! I'm so glad the rollers found a happy place!
Of all my indoor pets, the canary is the messiest, the floaty goldfish causes me the most worry, the rat enclosure takes the longest to clean, and the snakes are the easiest.

I don't know if it works for bigger birds, but I use fleece to line the bird cages (just like the ratties). I shake them out in the morning, and use the other side. Fleeces with both sides dirty go into a laundry bag. They get a quick scrape and shake outside before getting washed. Works well, at least for small bird poops - before I was always running out of paper.

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
I have a friend that keeps homing and rollers. He does it for the love of the birds and doesn't compete or send them long distance. He lets them out st home and trains them etc and often releases the homing at his parents grave site becuause his dad loved to watch them. ❤ I would always be worried about them if I kept them and participated in long range racing also.

The breeder I bought my two doves from had had rollers and homers and fancy pigeons. He let the rollers out for us to watch while we were there and we watched until they came in. He knew his stuff but the more he talked I didn't like some of his thoughts and ways of disease prevention etc. His birds were beautiful and amazing though. The doves belonged to his wife and were kept separate from the pigeons.

The background on pigeons is interesting! I believe it is still more popular in the U.K. Than in the USA however I do see dove keepers and pigeon keepers here and there!

They are precious birds. Mine are pets and I now have four soon to be five unless I sell / give number five away. If I keep this chick then this spring I will allow them to hatch another clutch form my sister. She wants one or two.
They are such good parents. Pan is a very bossy mate and father bit he is a good boy. Tink is more mellow and such a devoted mother. I feel so bad when she is waiting for fake eggs to hatch. She takes it so seriously.
Would you mind sharing what those methods were for disease prevention? I know that there are sprays or something that they use to treat for mites and lice or something... ?
I am still learning the differences between different breeds. It's a whole other world from parrots I think! You're right about the popularity in the UK, but it does seem to be pretty popular here still. I'm just having trouble connecting with people who do rescue etc. I'd rather rescue pigeons/doves than buy them. I know that there are squab farms out there too, but I don't know where. I'd offer to take a few that were destined to be culled. Still can't get any birds right now either way though :'(

People with white ringneck doves sometimes make a business out of them. I'm not sure what I think of this. I don't agree with releasing them which some do because they can't find enough homing pigeons and then the doves get sick and lost and die because they have poor eye sight and are not meant to be released in that manner.
I heard they were used for the 911 anniversary for example when they couldn't find more homing pigeons.

Another thing they do is use them for weddings either for display in a cage ( hopefully) and not releasing them but again some do and it is devastating.
The smart people with doves in aviary are simply devoted pet owners or rescue doves and or pigeons found from above situations from pigeon and dove projects.
I was told that most of the "doves" released at weddings were actually homing pigeons because as you said the doves can't find their way home.. and being white, they're extra vulnerable to attack from predators.

I did ask in a racing group about the worry of some of the pigeons not making it home... it seems to be an inevitability and they take the losses as part and parcel of the hobby. I'd be so upset to lose one!

We had tumbler pigeons at the shelter last summer. They were a bonded group of 3, but if they had been singles, I probably would have taken the one home, he was exceptionally affectionate and cuddly. Absolutely gorgeous! But he had two girlfriends and were a life long bonded group. We tried and tried to adopt them to people who came looking for birds with having small children, they were perfect, maybe a little messier with cage cleaning, but hey all birds are messy, its just how you deal with it and prepare for it!!

They ended up going to a group that does educational programs and such, they have been a huge hit!! They were all white / black theme for the group.

Couple pics of them all dry and fluffed up and my buddy all wet when I gave him a bath, still snuggling up!!
Those pictures were precious. They are such pretty birds. I'm glad they have found a good place to live out their days.

Beautiful birds in that pic!

My next bird/s will be a pigeon. Not sure the breed...I prefer a functional beak and body type. That rules out American fantails, and the extreem short faced birds. Would gladly adopt a wild type (the "dirty" city pigeon) too, if one needing more of a home became available. I'm set up for outdoor birds - lots of hoop house green houses and rabbit enclosures out back. We are running out of space in the house.
I just recently saw the ones with the big eyes and tiny beaks.. they look so weird!! And there are a bunch of breeds that can't even fly properly now because they have been bred just to look at.. Personally I don't like the look of a lot of the so-called "fancy" pigeons and I wonder what kind of lives they must have if all they do is go around from show to show like that.

Pouters are weird, they look like a ball on a stick:

I've been reading that king pigeons make great pets--they're the ones usually bred for meat:

Otherwise there are the homers, rollers, tumblers, tipplers... I don't even know the difference between these four just to look at them. OH! I don't know about their flying ability but modenas are neat, although they look "squished". They have the shape of a chicken:

But again, if they can't fly then I would feel terrible for them. :(

Of all my indoor pets, the canary is the messiest, the floaty goldfish causes me the most worry, the rat enclosure takes the longest to clean, and the snakes are the easiest.

I don't know if it works for bigger birds, but I use fleece to line the bird cages (just like the ratties). I shake them out in the morning, and use the other side. Fleeces with both sides dirty go into a laundry bag. They get a quick scrape and shake outside before getting washed. Works well, at least for small bird poops - before I was always running out of paper.
Just have to be careful because pigeon poop can become dangerous as it dries, or so I've been told. You don't want to breath it in when you're scraping.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Oh wow some of those birds just look wrong! I don't think messing with genetics like that is ok.

The pigeon keeper I bought my doves from told me he doesn't treat his birds for illness because he cannot afford to have any illness spread through his flock so he kills any bird at the first sign of illness. This devastated me. I would assume he didn't mean mites or canker but signs of infection? I didn't ask because I was horrified and I'm sure he knew it. He also told us he got a call this year from someone wanting a large order of pigeons. Turns out they wanted squab. He agreed to fill the request because he had a big breeding year.

Yes, white homing pigeons are what are suppose to be used for weddings and funerals etc but some don't care as long as they get there dove release / money and will use the wrong bird especially when they run out of options for homers. The practice of releasing even homing pigeons for events is controversial. They do lose some. I see ads for found rollers etc and they often are listed as owner declined to retrieve the bird. I am glad my friend that keeps Pidgeys takes good care of his and makes sure they are accounted for when he does a release. He has homers, orentials, and rollers. When I mentioned the ringnecks as a business I don't know if I mentioned that they use them as display birds at weddings in heart shaped cages.

I haven't looked into pigeon poop but mine are not in a loft where I have to scrap it. My doves are in the house and I clean up after them often. I was surprised to learn about canker. They are definitely a whole other world than parrots but just as awesome!

Rollers are awesome to watch! Kings are big but pretty. I don't know what bird I found that passed away. Possibly a white homing pigeon since we found him on the shore of Lake Michigan at a friend's house. Sick, injured or lost pigeons will
Often search out humans for help. Sadly he sat there all day before I got to him and he died in my hands.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I almost got to foster a pair of diamond doves recently. They were adopted though as soon as they came out of quarantine so they never made it to my home. They're really pretty birds. I had no idea how tiny and cute they are. They're definitely something I would consider in the future. I got confused though reading about what their best diet is and would definitely need to educate myself more on dove care.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
They are adorable! I had considered them before I decided on ringnecks. :heart:

I feed my doves pigeon and dove food from Hagen. They also eat some pellets. They ate my roudybush pellets samples I had very well. Niblets. My other birds were hit or miss with them though. I was going to look around and see if there are any decent brands I can try locally that I can get all the birds to eat. My flock is starting to snub Zupreme pellets and they have eaten those for years.