• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New african grey owner, mating behavior??

fijii

Meeting neighbors
Hi, i just got a congo African grey on friday. I was told shes not very friendly, and she did nip at my arm. Shes 7 years old. Anyways, shes very smart and ive already started target training with her using a clicker.. she understands, and seems to enjoy it. The problem is, shes starting to develop "mating behaviors" with me. She regurgitates when i talk to her, and she likes to stand on my arm and move her wings to the side. Im not sure what I should do about this. Should i still interact with her when shes acting like this or should i ignore her?

Also isn't it very odd, that she can go from biting me on friday, to showing me mating behaviors by sunday?

She will also do a very high pitched "beep/scream?" whenever anybody comes near her, im not sure if this means she wants us to back off or what

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am far from an expert on AG but it does sound like she wants to masturbate on your arm. Wings out is an indication of that too. She loves you now! There are a few things you can do. Just let her do it and it will eventually let up. Serve her no warm mushy foods. Make sure she is getting quality 12 hours of sleep. You could cover her cage an hour earlier than usual. Hormonal behavior is governed by the length of light so less light, less hormones stimulated.

Last edited:

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hope you find some answers! There's lots of knowledgeable people here!

fijii

Meeting neighbors
I'm still being very cautious with her because she does still lunge and try to bite other people.. She was doing this to me too, until she decided she would like to mate with me, lol! She can bite very hard, she made my brother in law bleed. Im just still a bit nervous with her because i dont know if she is bonding with me and actually likes me or if she just wants to mate with me!

fijii

Meeting neighbors
When she steps up onto my arm, all i can think about is how easily could bend down real quick and take a nice big chunk of flesh :wideyed:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Important to be aware of how intuitive Grey's are. If you are fearing a bite she will know and accommodate.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@JLcribber John can you post the link to hormonal behaviors you put in threads for people please. Could be appropriate here. Thanks

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That's it, thanks. I hope the writer of this post will read this article.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I would put her down and walk away until she's "done" or settles down. I don't allow myself to be any of the birds' sex toys :laugh: and don't want to encourage them to think we are mates. I think the sooner you put her down when she starts, the better though. With Itsy (Meyer's), if she gets started (more than daily occurrence with her) she doesn't like to step all the way on or off me. If I try to get her to step up onto my finger when she is excited she will step with one foot and hold on, holding me hostage. So I use a stick. If I don't put her down soon enough she gets a little frustrated and may bite.

Quack (TAG) has been a nervous biter but has gotten a lot better since I got her. After almost 6 years she still doesn't really trust me and gets suspicious. And yet every once in awhile she will start regurging for me. I just walk away as she is usually on her play stand when she does. It may not happen for 2 years then it starts again. On the trust issue, we do have a lot of fun together (just not "that" type of fun). :) She likes to whistle and dance and lately I swing her upside down in the kitchen in a half arc or more of my arm, and she loves it! Will get video soon. :)

To prevent Quack walking up my arm (where I don't trust her), I hold her toes. I started holding Tiki's toes because she will fall or jump and can't fly. And I just ended up holding all of their toes when they are on my hand. I hold front toes of one foot with thumb and back toes of the other by holding my fingers straight instead of curved.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh and yes, I think the high pitched beep/scream means "back off". She needs her space at least until she gets comfortable and gets to know people.

fijii

Meeting neighbors
Sorry for the late response I've been busy. Anyways, she did it again today. I let her step up on my arm and she got all crouched down and put her wings to the side. I was sitting down when she was doing it, so as I was getting up to set her on her play stand, she bit my finger pretty good. I didn't bleed but I did jump and she left a dent in my skin lol. So far, I am the only one in the house that she likes at all.. If anybody else even tries to pick her up with a perch she will attack the perch. She is a very amazing bird though, she really enjoys making sounds and making me imitate them back to her lol.

Reactions: Tim

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is so much good advise for you here like "I would put her down and walk away until she's "done" or settles down". I suggest you take notes on all of this advise and follow what is suggested. Remember, not to expect anything to change soon. Perhaps lowering your expectations a bit would help. Thanks for getting back to us.

fijii

Meeting neighbors
I agree, awesome advice on here. I really appreciate it. Awesome article by the way, very informative. I have been getting some mixed advice though. Some are saying I should "let her get it out of her system". Others are saying to put a stop to it. Also, is it a good thing in a way? What I mean is, does it mean she loves me and has bonded to me? Sorry for all the " simple questions", this is my first African grey, and I'd really like to do everything right. Her last owner said that she absolutely hated him, he couldn't even touch her, so he left her in her cage 24 hours a day :( I let her out all day, until bed time. She's not even used to her cage being covered at night ( she grabs the sheet through the bars and try's to pull it in lol) I'll be honest, I had no idea how "toddler like" African Greys are. She's so curious and she seems to just know what stuff she's not supposed to touch, and those things are her favorite things to play with( remotes, shirt buttons, pens) she's quite funny, lol! She also likes to play jokes on people.. She has learned if she flys at my mother, my mother will duck and cover her head, so now she does that all the time. She also likes to trick me and pretend that she wants me to pet her, and when I try she will try to turn her head real quick and bite me.. And then other times she lets me pet her. Quite the prankster!

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Definitely don't "let her get it out of her system". That behavior is one that encourages mating behavior to continue, which can lead to hormone overproduction and related illness. It's better that she views you as a flock mate and not a breeding partner.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey does that sometimes -- I put him somewhere else. He has finally taken the hint, and is mating with his perch.