• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my Pionus sick...Pleaseeee help with advice! :-)

Kimmie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
TY everyone....Bella is my baby, my first parrot and this is killing me :-(. For a Pionus who are not really known to be very cuddley, she is with me <3

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've had Jasper for 16 years now and cuddles are strictly on her terms - Part of the charm of a parrot, eing their own person.

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
I am taking Bella to the Vet next week. We only have 2 Avian Vets in my area and they have both told me to test for Asperillios, it is a seperate test with a swab. I'm sort of confused as to what test to get. Should I tell the Vet to run a blood test, to me that would probably tell me more on her health state and if that comes back fine assume it's Asperillios???? I'm on Facebook and on a bird site there and a woman said it was a 6 month treatment as her Quaker had Asperillios (not sure if I'm spelling it correctly lol)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Aspergillosis, if allowed to get a good foothold in a bird, IS a long long treatment. There is a specific Asper Titer test (done on blood), protien electrophoresis (also done on blood ) and swabs and cultures and xrays for diagnosis of Aspergillosis. If two vets have recommended Asper tests I would pay attention.

There are numerous articles on the Inet about Asper and you should read a few and inform yourself on the extreme risk and high mortality rate of Asper.

Here is one of hundreds to start with. https://lafeber.com/vet/wp-content/uploads/Aspergillosis.pdf

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
The Vets haven't suggested the Asper test, it was myself because of her symptoms.I just don't want them to run a slew of tests. I will read the link you provided thank-you :) I also just tried to message Wonderb but his mailbox is full :-(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The Vets haven't suggested the Asper test, it was myself because of her symptoms.I just don't want them to run a slew of tests. I will read the link you provided thank-you :) I also just tried to message Wonderb but his mailbox is full :-(

I'll get ahold of her for you and see if she can't pop in :)

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Whoops...*HER* Thank-you! :)

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hope your baby is doing well and you've made headway with her respiratory issue. One of my greatest fears is having my Pi get asper and I'm paranoid about what I feed him and where I put his cage because they can be so sensitive.

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Update....I finally was able to take Bella to the Vet yesterday and she told me Bella's overall health is good. She weighs 206 grams and she trimmed her nails and beak too. She is not sure what's going on with Bella having these episode's but suggested a few tests. She suggested the swab test for Asper and testing for Chlamydia as well. I'm going to read up on the other disease that parrots are susceptible too, Gardia. I just don't know where and which one to start with??? I am almost certain it's Asper by the signs and what I have read but want to be absolutely sure with testing as the treatment for this is very hard on them as I've been told on here and the Vet. She offered to give her Doxycycline but I want testing done first....:-( Does anyone know if either of the two Chlamydia or Gardia are contagious, that would narrow it down for me some???

Last edited:

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have no experience with either, but I found these links online:

404 Error - The Merck Manualsavian_chlamydiosis/overview_of_avian_chlamydiosis....
Avian chlamydiosis can be an inapparent subclinical infection or acute, subacute, or chronic disease of wild and domestic birds characterized by respiratory, ...
Chlamydia Psittaci - Avian Services Center
www.avianbiotech.com/diseases/chlamydia.htm
Chlamydia psittaci - also referred to as Psittacosis, Parrot Fever or chlamydiosis. The word Psittacosis comes from the Greek word Psittakos, meaning parrot.
[PDF]Compendium of Measures To Control Chlamydia psittaci ... - CDC
www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr4710.pdf
Atlanta, Georgia 30333. Compendium of Measures To Control. Chlamydia psittaci Infection Among. Humans (Psittacosis) and Pet Birds. (Avian Chlamydiosis) ...

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/giardia.html
by A Web - ‎2014
Giardia: causes, symptoms in birds and humans, and treatment options. ... and Potential Causes ... Bird Species and Diseases They are Most Susceptible to ...
Giardia in Birds - Exotic Pet Vet.Net
Exotic Pet Veterinarianavian/giardia.html
A solitary pet bird may harbor giardia for long periods of time before showing signs of illness. New methods of testing have greatly improved the chance of a ...
Giardia - Avian Services Center
www.avianbiotech.com/Diseases/Giardia.htm
Giardia parasitic infection in birds, parrots and other animals.
Giardia and Other Intestinal Protozoal Infections in Pet Birds — For ...
https://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/.../giardia-and-other-intestinal-protozoal-infections-i...
Your bird has been diagnosed with a protozoal infection. Protozoa such as Giardia are microscopic parasites that live in your bird's intestines. Protozoal ...
[PDF]Chlamydiosis in Birds - NASPHV
www.nasphv.org/Documents/ChlamydiosisInBirds.pdf
(lay terminology

Good luck, and keep posting!

Kimmie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
UPDATE... I have taken Bella back to my Vet twice recently. She ran a fecal for Chlamydia and it came back negative. She then ran a fecal, blood and swab test 2 days ago for Asper as she did put her on the Doxycycline and Bella had another episode, it came back negative. I have made a post tonight in the 911 section here for help as well, I am at a loss and beyond helpless. I have spoken to my Doctor regarding these diseases as I have had a cough that I can't shake since the end of the summer and it's coming directly from my lungs, I mean I can literally feel my lungs vibrate when I cough (if that makes any sense)...it's a totally different cough that I have ever had in my life :-( Another Vet I called brought up a "sinus flush" if needed after tests and exam, what is it???

Thanx again...Kim

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
There is a probiotic called Benebac that is very helpful after antibiotics, and it is not very costly at all. Personally, I'd give some after any antibiotic, but especially after a strong one like doxycycline. The only thing that occurrs to me is that my daughter and I do get the kind of cough you describe after we are sick. Viruses and infections just hit us hard and last longer than they do with other people. I run air purifiers where we sleep and vacuum and dust often. It makes a huge difference for us. also, I have an old crock pot near my bed, and I heat water at night to humidify the air. This makes an enormous difference in the cough and recovery time.

Maybe you're already doing things like this. If so, please disregard.

Also, I am not saying you have dry or dusty air, but rather that whatever is happening may be worsened by the air.

One thing I have found with any creature we have had, is that sometimes you have to wait for the illness either to show itself or go away. Not sure if you are comfortable doing that, but when testing options run out, that's what I do for us and for the fids, too.

Please keep posting, since this is how we all learn. I appreciate the exchange of information and different approaches.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
I'm so sorry you havn't found out what her problem is yet! crossing out asper is a relief but not knowing is distressing. :sadhug: I'm afraid I can't help, but I send you the best of luck and hope you'll both soon be fine.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
UPDATE... I have taken Bella back to my Vet twice recently. She ran a fecal for Chlamydia and it came back negative. She then ran a fecal, blood and swab test 2 days ago for Asper as she did put her on the Doxycycline and Bella had another episode, it came back negative. I have made a post tonight in the 911 section here for help as well, I am at a loss and beyond helpless. I have spoken to my Doctor regarding these diseases as I have had a cough that I can't shake since the end of the summer and it's coming directly from my lungs, I mean I can literally feel my lungs vibrate when I cough (if that makes any sense)...it's a totally different cough that I have ever had in my life :-( Another Vet I called brought up a "sinus flush" if needed after tests and exam, what is it???

Thanx again...Kim
Chlamydia is a real tricky one to diagnose.
If you are from Canada, there is only one lab that will test it correctly and it is in the USA, I think Florida? Anyway, then they have to send it to another state for confirmation. Sending samples across borders and state lines is difficult enough with the FDA, plus all the temperatures/collections and everything has to be perfect. They could test negative and still have it or positive and not have it. They could be carriers and not shedding the infection. If it is suspected, it would just be easier to treat them for 45 days with the appropriate anti-biotics, then rely on the test.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Just a thought, but since you also are showing similar signs, have your checked your home?

I've heard of air ducts (heat/cooling system) that once cleaned have cleared up families breathing problems.

They can harbor harmful stuff as well as mold.