• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Me Oliver! SWS Dilemma!

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Kingpin is still alive though
20161025_075434.jpg
Picture is rather dark, MC is still snoozing.

Warning..... Susan's toys are so cute you try to hoard them. I need to release a couple to MC that I've gripped tightly.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
@Rolanda If I'm not mistaken your cute little Beaks is about the size of a large conure? 100-125g-ish range? Most of the recommendations I gave earlier in the thread should work. My Mango is 90g so between green cheek size and sun conure size, and she is the primary devourer of OG toys in the house (Frodo is more a T4W guy, preferring balsa and grass and cork and similar lazy-chewer things). Most of the things in the "small" section should be great if he is not a really strong chewer yet, and a lot of the stuff in the "medium" section will be great if he is more of a little buzz saw.

You definitely need a Jimmy Halfa Lobster. :D

But as @Clueless says it might take you a while to be able to bear to put him in a cage because he is just so cute you want to keep him pristine!

Rolanda

@Rolanda If I'm not mistaken your cute little Beaks is about the size of a large conure? 100-125g-ish range? Most of the recommendations I gave earlier in the thread should work. My Mango is 90g so between green cheek size and sun conure size, and she is the primary devourer of OG toys in the house (Frodo is more a T4W guy, preferring balsa and grass and cork and similar lazy-chewer things). Most of the things in the "small" section should be great if he is not a really strong chewer yet, and a lot of the stuff in the "medium" section will be great if he is more of a little buzz saw.

You definitely need a Jimmy Halfa Lobster. :D

But as @Clueless says it might take you a while to be able to bear to put him in a cage because he is just so cute you want to keep him pristine!

Yes, Beaks is 125g, he may get a little bit bigger. I'll have to add Jimmy to my List then!

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
@Parrot Hotel & Shop Jimmy Halfa Lobster is perfectly conure sized. I'd also recommend the small or medium sized Chunky Monkey depending on how big they are on chewing. The Baby Bass are awesome. Mango has demolished one to nothing (I'll see if I can find the picture I posted of the destroyed version), and has now graduated to Tommy Cod which is the next size up in that theme. She has also demolished the small anchor. "Trigger" is another one that we have picked up that looks a great size for a larger conure but we haven't added it to a cage yet. We have the "Sunshine" in Mango's cage right now and although she hasn't actually chewed on the wood much, she has chewed off the beads from the face and she likes to wrestle and/or cuddle with it.

Also don't miss the foot toys. The fruit fly is the cutest thing ever and just the right size for a conure to play with. If they like knots and beads, the poppers are nice too.

Mango LOVES her Sassy Hoop and sleeps in it every night with her neck curled around the fluff.

EDIT: found the thread where I posted the picture of Mango's Baby Bass.
Thanks so much for the info. Looking forward to trying out OG this time around :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Went back and scanned the one eye thread. I'm going to have to give up another of my Jimmy's (yes, I stashed).

I did give up Spike today and put him in MC's cage. MC lifted his head and beaked the toy in 3 spots immediately but since hubby and I were watching, he then ignored it.

@Susan and Oliver wonder what part will disappear first? Spike was just beautiful.....beautiful. Hated to let loose of him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rolanda I wonder if your bird might like The Fledgling. My red-bellies also like that one and SETI still has most of the bird body remaining. Actually he has two of them and is still working on the birds. Scully, on the other hand, has destroyed his entire Fledgling, even shredding the hemp.

Here is Scully w/ a small Chunky Monkey. I would recommend the medium size for your bird and that is probably what I should have given Scully.

scully monkey.jpg

@Macawnutz....not easy to see but behind Scully is Shannon and the red pieces on the bottom of the cage are parts of Kingpin.

Last edited:

Susan and Oliver

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
You need to buy all the things.

That said, I don't think the chunky monkey is really "macaw big." It's more of a mini-mac or large conure size.
EDIT: I do see that the chunky monkey comes in multiple sizes. The big one is 1/2" pine. Is that chunky enough?
Thanks @Heather F :) The large's blocks are a little thicker than 1/2". @Macawnutz I also do an XL but don't list it. It's HUGE...blocks are 3.5x2x3" It's heavy for posting so I generally make them up special order.

Yes, lots of leather on these. I'm looking for the sisal and cotton ones.
I can switch to sisal or cotton on most toys. Everyone seems to have their own preference for largest birds.

Great choice for big birds...I generally upsize the blocks if I know it's for a BIG guy.

Everything is just so cute. @Susan and Oliver what would you recommend for a sun conure and green cheek? something not too hard or chunky :)
@Parrot Hotel & Shop Small or medium chunky monkey, sassy hoop, fledgling or any of the toys Heather F mentions below.

@Parrot Hotel & Shop Jimmy Halfa Lobster is perfectly conure sized. I'd also recommend the small or medium sized Chunky Monkey depending on how big they are on chewing. The Baby Bass are awesome. Mango has demolished one to nothing (I'll see if I can find the picture I posted of the destroyed version), and has now graduated to Tommy Cod which is the next size up in that theme. She has also demolished the small anchor. "Trigger" is another one that we have picked up that looks a great size for a larger conure but we haven't added it to a cage yet. We have the "Sunshine" in Mango's cage right now and although she hasn't actually chewed on the wood much, she has chewed off the beads from the face and she likes to wrestle and/or cuddle with it.

Also don't miss the foot toys. The fruit fly is the cutest thing ever and just the right size for a conure to play with. If they like knots and beads, the poppers are nice too.

Mango LOVES her Sassy Hoop and sleeps in it every night with her neck curled around the fluff.

EDIT: found the thread where I posted the picture of Mango's Baby Bass.
@Heather F Thank you so much for the great description of my toys. Really nice to hear birds are enjoying them.

Susan and Oliver

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Are these for the Macaws or all of the birds? My Amazons love the Kingpin and Plain Jane. My 'too enjoys the Spring Posey. Any of the lobstas are wonderful. In fact everything is wonderful!
Thanks for making suggestions @iamwhoiam

Well this is the "this toy in action" picture:

Looks pretty big to me! But your little buzz saws are something else...
Have heard these are long lasting with the biggest birds. Macaws that like playing on the bottoms of their cages enjoy the beads as a buddy to rumble with.

Oh yes! And the three float has three of those? Yes!
@Macawnutz What do you prefer your toys strung with? Always interested.

I like U Crabby but am concerned the rope attaching it at the top might be a weak point.
I guess they would not have as much access to that small location so it would probably stay together til it was chewed up.

Like the lobsters too as they are cute.
@camelotshadow Thanks for your interest. Have not heard of that being a problem :)

Which is the biggest lobster guy?

And where is Susan? :canthear:
I was away for the day! Wow, it seems you didn't need me anyway. What a great group here on AA. Thanks for filling in for me! I'll make an XL chunky monkey before the weekend so you can have a peek at it.

Went back and scanned the one eye thread. I'm going to have to give up another of my Jimmy's (yes, I stashed).

I did give up Spike today and put him in MC's cage. MC lifted his head and beaked the toy in 3 spots immediately but since hubby and I were watching, he then ignored it.

@Susan and Oliver wonder what part will disappear first? Spike was just beautiful.....beautiful. Hated to let loose of him.
I like Spike too. I made 8 of them last week. The teeth on this bunch are a little shorter. He looks like a "baby" spike now. Have to say cutting the leather for him sure is hard on the hands. You've had that toy a LONG time @Clueless

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I like Spike too. I made 8 of them last week. The teeth on this bunch are a little shorter. He looks like a "baby" spike now. Have to say cutting the leather for him sure is hard on the hands. You've had that toy a LONG time @Clueless
Yeah but I fell in love with him!!!

After @Macawnutz posts I felt guilty for hoarding. I just love Spikes eyelashes.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Susan! :D I started a thread for sure! ;)You have some BIG OG lovers it seems.

I like cotton and sisal, I like leather too if it's thick and not holding half the toy together.

I'd love to see a picture of the larger chunky monkey, I'll for sure buy one so no worries making a sample one. :shy: Not sure if Korbel should have a large or extra large, he is big but he likes baby wood sometimes.

I'm awful with pictures that don't have a bird for size reference. I need a U Crabby picture. :D Someone has to have one right?