• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Golden Crowned Kinglet

hoot

Meeting neighbors
Yesterday I was walking along outside a shopping mall when the tiniest bird ever exploded up in front of me. I must have nearly stepped on him. He flew very high up against the side of the building but ultimately couldn't get over it and fluttered to the ground again where he sat very still.

I went and picked him up. I knew if he was seriously injured he'd probably die but I just couldn't leave him there in a shopping center like that with kids and people around. The only trees are small and in the parking lots. He didn't seem to mind me picking him up. We cancelled the shopping trip and hurried home.

I just got my parakeets a big cage, but still had the small one I originally placed Dude in. That's where I put the little bird and he just sat on the floor of the cage for a couple hours. I figured like so many others, he'd hit a window and knocked himself a little silly and just needed a safe place to rest a bit.

After a while I went to check on him and he'd moved up to the perches. Seemed more alert and was looking around. One of his eyes was shut and I don't know if it was an illness or injury from collision? But since he was more active I took him outside and placed him on my small (2 year old) cherry tree. It was a little windy and I stood and watched him and he just stayed put on that flimsy branch. I thought the wind might knock him right out of the tree! And I was worried about him finding something to eat, so I moved him to the ground. He let me pick him up just fine, but I've read Kinglets are very tame wild birds.

For a while he sat under a plant. My 5 year old and I crouched nearby. Watched him eat a tiny bug off a leaf! And after a few minutes he fluttered onto a taller bush and from there back into the tree on his own. I figured then he would be fine, and certainly better off in the neighborhood rather than the shopping mall. Later that night there was no sign of him. I checked around the tree to be sure he didn't pass and end up on the ground. But seems he's moved on.

I just thought I'd share this little story, as I really enjoyed having him! I'd never heard of a Kinglet but he just made them my favorite wild bird. The smallest, cutest little thing I'd ever seen. How neat to hold him in my hands!

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
They're very neat birds!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
wow thanks for sharing

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
how nice!
they are very tiny guys!

hoot

Meeting neighbors
how nice!
they are very tiny guys!
Yes he was, and they have almost no necks! lol. It took me a while to identify him because I'd never even heard of them, but he was so very sweet and small.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for helping him!

Heather F

From Wikipedia:
"its weight, which averages around 5.9 g (0.21 oz), with a range of 4 to 7.8 g (0.14 to 0.28 oz)"

That is SO TINY!!!
Thank you for helping the wee little guy!

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
WOW! That is a teeny bird! Thank you for rescuing him!