• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby Rainbow

Bellamingo

Sitting on the front steps
Hello!
I'm a relatively experienced bird keeper of mainly budgies and cockatiels, ever since I was a little thing. We have always had budgies, and I was given my first tiel for my 13th birthday. Having worked for a pet shop that had loads of birds, and kept me busy hand rearing the babies and the disabled birdies, I know one end of a bird from the other ;)

However, I fell in love with and brought home a baby 10 week old lorikeet last week. He's so very cute, but this is uncharted territory for me! I'm very used to all the wild ones around here, and my uncle has a pet one who hates everyone but him, but I've never really had much to do with them before!

I'm mainly concerned with finding a good nectar mix to feed him, as there are so many on the market that I'm unsure which to go for. The breeder gave me Avione, which I've been mixing into his egg and biscuit mix to slowly wean him onto dry food. Is this a good brand to stick with?

Also, with regards to training, I've been trying to get different people to hold him and play with him, especially my partner and my mum, because I'm concerned that he will bond so strongly to me that he will become aggressive towards them. Is there more I can do to make him a well rounded little keet? I've had very good luck with training my birds before, but since my uncle's bird is so headstrong I'm concerned!

I'm quite glad I didn't know about the poo explosions this little guy erupts, because I would have possibly backed out on getting his adorable little self. Any tips on how to teach him to aim, per se? (Preferably at my dad, but a towel will do ;) just kidding!)

Thanks, lovely people!

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:welcome2:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:hello1:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:welave: Those projectile bombs are nasty! One of the reasons why I tended to stay away from them! But yes you can potty train them! Takes a while but its worth it, so long as you are careful about HOW you train them! You don't want them trained so well that they HOLD it till you tell em to go! This is dangerous for the health of your fid and can lead to severe complications! Pilo knows where to go and instinctively tells me first thing in the morning so that I don't forget either! Pilo is flighted so he has no issues about it in that regard as he can go to his POTTY spots anytime! Mind you... I have to hear about it when he does go... NON STOP! :toofunny:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've no experience with lorikeets and have only seen one or two in my area in the States. I'd love to see photos of a baby because all fledgelings are adorable. And welcome to AA!

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
We have had numerous Lorikeets in our back yard for years... The expression, "When the Sh*t hits the Fan" was founded from them! :eek:
Really? :lol:

Bellamingo

Ask and ye shall recieve ;)

He's grown a lot, and his feathers are starting to fill in- his cute little bald patch on the back of his head is closing by the day! He almost has a full green neck band now. Yesterday he was really coming out of his shell, running around and wrestling with me!

The only thing is, he never wants to come out of his cage, and I don't know if it's because he doesn't like the small door, or if it's just that he sees it as "his place" of safety. One of my dogs in particular is rather jealous and watches him, but he doesn't seem fazed. I have to feed him away from his cage, otherwise he stuffs around, won't eat and keeps trying to get back in! He's in an old budgie cage at the moment, but we'll size up probably next week at the rate he's growing. We just couldn't keep him in the box he came home in like the breeder said to, because my obese cat squished it (when he wasn't in there, luckily!)

Bellamingo

IMG_1964.JPG There's my budgies, I can't find a photo of my cockatiels on my phone, I took this last week to make sure I bought them a cage actually bigger than the one they were in They were breaking their tail feathers as it wasn't wide enough. Excuse the mess, they're moulting like mad! Mingo is in this cage right now, so yeah, definitely too small for a lorikeet!

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations on your new lorikeet. I feed my lorikeets Wambaroo Lorikeet & Honeyeater - as a wet mix.

Lorikeets are such active little clowns, they need something considerably bigger than a budgie cage so it's great that you will be upgrading his cage soon.

Enjoy your little clown.

Bellamingo

Came home with a surprise cage for the baby! Was driving past a pet warehouse and thought I'd see what their prices were like. At least if he outgrows this then he can swap with some of the others. :) It's pretty much just for him to sleep in since he's almost always out of the cage! I got a desperately needed calcium perch (my shoulders and chest are torn apart by his claws!) and the damn thing fell apart as I was screwing it on! Suppose it's better that than have it break while I'm not looking though!

Attachments

Bellamingo

Just realised it looks trickily small in that picture, it actually goes back quite a way. Just so you don't think I'm jamming the thing in a teeny cage again!