• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent plucking butt bald

pnwgranny

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ruth
Our pied face is plucking the feathers from around her butt. She or he has a bald butt.
We got them about a month ago and have been moving their cage around several ties a day trying to get them in front of a window where they can more light.
I am wondering if moving their cage and not allowing them a place to just be and get settled has caused stress and if that is why he or she is plucking?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is she eating and drinking? Is she pooping okay? Could she be egg bound? I would suggest you get her seen by an avian vet. You should definitely leave her cage in one spot and maybe cover three sides so she can just get used to everything and learn she's in a safe home.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
please see a avian vet as soon as possible

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Moving a cage around or their contents within is certainly a good way to create stress (AFAIK) It usually takes a while for any fid to settle in... I would keep her away from the window at this point as there might be something out there that is upsetting her as well!

Let her settle into her surroundings first! It can take a while for this to happen... certainly not days or even weeks! :) And yes.. a VET visit is a good idea as well!

pnwgranny

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ruth
TY all and yes she is eating good. Seed, pelters, a little millet, greens and a bit if fruit. Her poop is healthy and sh his active and plays a lot.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
By butt do you mean above or below the tail? Above the tail, it might be a blocked or infected preen gland that is causing a lot of pain and irritation.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I agree a vet visit is in order and to leave her cage in one spot so she can settle in

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
if possible take a picture so we can see what you are asking about.