• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Re-naming Gizmo to Willow, and some talking stories

leslieg

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi. I'm back after a long break; it's been a crazy few years. During them, we renamed Gizmo, our Congo African Grey, to Willow. We did this after a lot of thought; we didn't want to confuse her, but the name Gizmo (which she'd gone by for about 2 years, since we got her on CraigsList) was becoming less and less "right" for her. My husband (who she adores) decided he wanted to call her Willow, so he talked with her about it one evening:

"Willow, Willow, your name is Willow", he told her, again and again. Then he said, slowly and carefully, "Willow is Gizmo. Gizmo is -"

"Willow", she interrupted. Almost as though she approved.

Wow, we thought. I guess that was that. From then on, she has answered to Willow. But more odd ... starting that night, she began calling my husband by name. She had never said his name before, but from then on, she'll call for him when he's in the other room, "Chuck...", and he'll answer, "Willow."

She calls both of the dogs and the cat by name, too. I don't get a name. She adores my husband, but I'm the enemy. It's okay. I've accepted it. We've come to a cautious truce: I keep myself out of reach, and we get along just fine.

She watches a lot of TV with us, and often surprises us with things she says or understands. One evening we were watching a program about people living in Alaska. Someone shot an elk, and Willow exclaimed in a shocked voice, "They shot it!" This is never something she has heard from us, since we're not hunters.

Sometimes I wonder if she's a little space alien spy in a bird suit.

One time we were watching TV and two adults had to restrain a little girl who was having a seizure. It was disturbing to watch; the little girl was so scared. Willow began crooning gently, encouragingly, "Good girl, good girl."

She watches TV and laughs at the right places, even when there is no audience laughter to cue her. I swear that she often knows what they're saying. If someone kisses on TV, she'll do a wolf whistle. And animals -- if there's a cat on TV or on my laptop (which I angle so she can see it), she meows. A dog, she barks. A tiny kitten, and she does her kitten mew (which is adorable). We can't watch documentaries with hawks, eagles, or owls, because she gets scared.

She likes our dogs, an 80-lb Shiloh shepherd and an 8-lb chihuahua. The dogs like her, too -- she tosses food down for them. It can be funny watching the dogs play, especially because of the size difference. The little guy (Bodi, sounds like Cody), will grab a toy and tease Maggie into chasing him, then he'll dart under the table or between the chair legs where she can't catch him, then try to circle around to nip her hind legs. It's hilarious, and gets even better when Willow gets into it -- she starts laughing her silly head off, cackling madly, and cheering them on, hollering "Maggie!! Come here, Maggie!! Bodi!" and barking like the dogs.

When we got the puppy, for his first week he was certain there was another dog in the other room. They'd bark at each other ... she never did it when he was in the room, though. Diabolical bird.

One evening, my husband spent a minute coaxing the cat to jump onto his lap. (She's a cat. She was perfectly capable of jumping up, she just wanted to be coaxed.) When the cat finally jumped up, Willow exclaimed, "Good girl, Chani!"

Occasionally she'll sneeze or cough. (Not a real sneeze or cough, but an imitation of me; I have allergies.) When she does, I ask her courteously, "Are you okay?" The other day, Chuck sneezed in the other room, and she called out to him, "Are you okay?" (Now mind you, I never get asked if I'm okay. I'm the other woman.) He also gets "I love you".

A lot of these things, we never hear her say again, but she says them once, in context, obviously not repetition, and clear as day. It's become obvious that she understands a lot more than she lets on. She's quiet, but she knows.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I enjoyed reading about Willow, she sounds amazing

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Alien spy in a bird suit:coffeescreen:. Sounds like Willow is very smart.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Willow, you and your family sound beautiful! What an amazing bird. Thank you for such a fantastic read!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
If someone kisses on TV, she'll do a wolf whistle.
my Rocky a cockatiel use to do that. or he would wolf whistle if saw mom darting from bedroom to bath room to take a shower. use to scare me went he did that.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
when not went

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
when not went

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Fids are absolutely amazing... loved the story! :)

Laura729

Jogging around the block
I loved reading about Willow. She sounds amazing and I really liked how she seemed to process and understand her name change! :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a smart bird! :)

mstomcat65

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marti
I often wonder about changing a birds name. Gizmo knows his name but doesn't say it. He's had it for 16 years so i'm guessing changing it is out of the question. We didn't name him, his previous family did.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
She sounds like a riot :rofl:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love your stories! Thanks for posting them here! Willow is a smarty pants and I love her sense of humor :heart:

Did you get her from a rescue?

Does she ever curse?

leslieg

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you! We got Willow from CraigsList. Her elderly lady owner had passed away. Her deceased owner's children had cared for her kindly, but eventually decided to rehome her to someone who wanted a parrot. We've enjoyed her a lot. She was 13 when we got her, 2.5 years ago. She doesn't curse, luckily, in fact, she really didn't bring any baggage. She eats well, and accepts a great variety of foods. She occasionally coughs like a sick, elderly lady, and sometimes laughs like one -- not my laugh or my husband's -- or calls for Michael. (We're not sure who he was.) She was also, at some point, kept in a room with an old-fashioned answering machine, because she'll start repeating its message and a phone number. The only annoying thing she does is occasionally squawk like a scolding Jay -- after a bit of that, I tell her to be quiet, or start whistling a favorite tune to change the subject, and thus far I've been successful.

Another thing she does that cracks me up: since she's been with us, the fire alarm has gone off exactly once, about 4 months ago, for a short time. Since then, every time I cook, I get a fire alarm, courtesy of Willow. Her cage and stand aren't situated where she can see me cooking, although she can hear me and imitates any noises I make, but it's interesting that she knows enough to associate the fire alarm with cooking. She may have heard it in her past home. It just shows how much they watch and listen to what goes on in their environments, and how much they can process of this alien world we've put them into.

MsTomCat -- Willow had been "Missy" for 13 years before she came to us. My husband and I had bad previous associations with a Missy, so we decided to rename her. She didn't have any problem picking up Gizmo - we used it a lot, and she caught on quickly. She did seem to prefer Willow, though. I guess every bird is different. She does call us by name -- my husband, both dogs and the cat, and Michael from her previous home. (I don't rate a name; I'm the other woman. :laugh:)

For years I've lurked and enjoyed reading everyone's bird stories. It's amusing now to have a character of my own. I think they're all characters in their own ways.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The other woman :cautious: I love how you say that!

Please continue telling us your experiences and stories. They're very enjoyable :)

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Loved reading about her. She sounds amazing!