• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ethical help, please.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
If he is protective of you do you think he will fit with your current flock and household? If he is difficult will it endanger or detract from what you give Sherman and Punkin in terms of finances (what you can afford for food, toys, cages, vet, etc.) space and attention? These are difficult things to try to balance.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If you think he's a good fit and loves you make the best deal you can and take him home for the rest of his life if it works out. As long as you can truly afford the money and his care he deserves a loving home no matter the reason he ended up where he is. I hate flippers of anything but its not his fault and somebody is eventually going to buy him.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If money was not a concern you could do something about this anytime you want. You would just be losing a little money. When compared to a life that's an easy decision.

What you said in your original post was that "your family" did not have the money to buy him. Meaning to me that you don't have any money. That would mean this situation is beyond your control?

It's too bad that bird didn't just escape one day (to be saved by some caring person :) ) screwing everybody out of their profit.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like theyre manipulating you with lies to get you to buy the macaw.

Do you want him? Do you want to take him home?

I have past experience with a BAD BIRD STORE. I was friends with the owner for five yeas.Almost five years. I worked there for almost three. At first she started off with GOOD ETHICS for a store out to make profit. But then she went down hill. I saw her hit macaw beaks thst would lunge at her. I saw he water down baby bird formula and there were so many sickly undernourished baby birds. Many died. Oh it was terrible!!!!

There was an military macaw. SAme background as the ruby macaw in your life. Rudy the military LOVED ME AND ONLY ME. Rudy was on consignment for two years. When my scarlet macaw died the owner of Rudy wanted me to have her. To pay off the fees and just have her. I came to get her, the owner knew I wanted her an what does she do? Sells her for PROFIT and that was the day I quit and she didnt pay me for two weeks. Took all my money (in store credit) and used that for Rudy's "consignment fees" Nd then sells her for profit to a damn breeder. A terrible terrible bird mill breeder.

My suggestion is if you love this Ruby macaw like I did Rudy the military then make out a plan to bring him home or you may end in heartbreak like I did.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I see your point on both sides and was in a similar situation for my cockatiel. My input, for what it's worth, is life is short. Karma will take care of these flipping people and you do what you can live with. Personally, I would take the bird home. My cockatiel was in a tiny travel cage for a year, no toys and a barely there seed mix. People wanted $100 for her. Luckily I haggle aggressively lol and got them down to $40 because I said I would get her off their hands asap. Even if they hadn't have taken the price down I would have taken her. She didn't deserve the living conditions she was in and I had the money, time and love to give. She was mine the second I saw her dirty face. :)
It's annoying for sure knowing you're handing money over to bad people, but like I said karma handles that, you just do what is right for you.

Callie&Sherman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callie
Thanks everyone. I think this is what it boils down to for me: I love him. I can't live with myself not doing everything I can to get him out of there. I'm going to see if the store owner and Monty's "owner" will agree to a short trial period (a week, 5 days, something like that), just to make certain he fits with the flock. Thank you all so much for listening, caring, and sharing your thoughts. It really helped. Here we are, in case you're curious. In the first one he's saying "staaaaawp!" in a super annoyed voice, which cracks me up, haha!

Attachments

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
What great pictures! Please keep us updated on how everything goes. I'm rooting for you guys and your whole flock! :cheer:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
He's gorgeous!
What great pictures! Please keep us updated on how everything goes. I'm rooting for you guys and your whole flock! :cheer:
Me too:iagree:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I know you love him very much. I hope everything works out.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
If I wanted the bird, and I could afford it, I would take him. Eventually someone will pay the "ransom," if you can, might as well be you. This sort of argument goes on all the time over at a snake board I frequent. Since you can't get the rest of humanity to boycott that store, just do what you can do for the bird you care about, if you can manage to.

I realize that is an unpopular stance, and many would call it irresponsible, but the logic of the principle just doesn't hold water for me. I guess I just don't think the ransom/hostage comparison is a good analogy. Sometimes, the heart is right. However, don't do it if you really can't afford it - remember the bird will need medical care, a good cage, food, toys, etc.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't work there anymore. I loved it but their personal life is all wrapped up in the store, its a black hole. I'm back in school now. Monty is on consignment until he is sold to a new owner, no set length of time. I offered the guy who currently owns monty 800 cash and a 3/4 carat diamond ring (his wife just had a baby, thought it couldn't hurt to try, may be he wanted to get her something special). He said no. I offered $1000 cash and the ring. He said no to that too. *sigh*

To me, that's odd. The cash plus the ring should equal more than the $1200 ask. I'd offer the $1,000 and then offer the remaining $200 over a period of time (short) that you can handle, and the flipper agrees to accept.

As for ethics...how important is this bird to you? Do you find yourself thinking about him often? If he were sold, would you view him as "the one that got away?" If you have the space and finances for caging, toys, food, and vet care, I say go for it. You only live once.

Maybe you could appeal to the owners, reminding them that he seems to like you and might not be happy somewhere else. It would not benefit their store to place him in a situation that turned out badly for the bird and the buyer. Do they want to deal with someone complaining that they sold them a biter? Hopefully, they want what's best for the bird.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Best of luck! Keep us posted.