• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food for Eclectus

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have read so much about the Eclectus diet its making my head spin. What I want to know is what do you feed your Eclectus? I had read you can feed brown rice, barely, pasta, diffferent beans, but today I am hearing you should stay away from all grains. Could the parronts of Eclectus discuss their experience with what works and what doesn't? Since they can't be given pellets it makes finding the right mix difficult.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
This really needs BUMP!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hope you get some responses tonight.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I've looked at some of those and found a few that didn't have nuts and might try them as a way to mix his diet up a bit (grandaughter is allergic to nuts). He had been eating something similar but with a banana base. From my reading he needs more fresh greens than anything else. I'm even beginning to have doubts about my adding grains to his diet, some say they shouldn't have them. The two homemade mashes I have made I used brown rice or pearl barely added fresh chopped greens..dandelion, kale, spianch, yams and grated carrots and rasdishes. I make a big batch, freeze in bagggies. On the side he must have some fruits and I give him something like cantelope with seeds, star fruit, berries or Kiwi (the fruit, not my Kiwi baby : ) ). He has sliced apples and cubed squash for snack during the day. I would love to hear from people on the pros and cons of feeding grains and also manufactured mashes.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
My Ekkie gets no pellets as it leads to toe tapping for him. Everyday he gets two 40 ounce bowls of fresh chop that I prepare in the morning. He gets a mix of Swiss chard, kale, dandelion greens, bok choy, kiwi, papaya, corn on the cob, apple, carrots, broccoli, frozen mixed vegetables, chopped frozen strawberries, and frozen blueberries. He also gets sprouts and a serving of mashed sweet potato with red rice, steamed carrots and quinoa. As fruits and vegetables come into season, I will add those into the mix. For treats he gets almonds and pieces of walnuts.
The diet is really not that difficult to manage once you get started.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
What is your method for sprouts and what type? Do you prefer red rice to brown?

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I switched to red rice once I read about potential arsenic levels in the brown rice. I like the taste of the red rice myself.
I get my seeds from Mum's in Saskatchewan Canada. They have a crunchy bean mixture and an ancient grain mix. I sprout both of these mixes separately. I have sprouting jars and it only takes a couple of days before you can use them.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I don't see how to do as much sprouting as would need be for Doby, I don't have a lot of room. I have been getting his sprouts at whole foods. How do you prepare the red rice?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Also, I've read good and bad about cracked corn. I've never used it. Opinions are appreciated

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
1 1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. Rinse the rice first before adding to the water. Bring to boil stirring once....simmer with the lid on for approximately 15 to 20 minutes...just check to see if the water has been reduced. I just stir once more when there is just a little water at the bottom, turn off the heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes. It reheats really well so you can make a bigger batch. I do add red pepper flakes to the birds rice and cinnamon to the mashed sweet potato.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
Cracked corn? Not sure I know what that is. I do know dried corn has been linked with aspergillosis. It is supposedly worse than peanuts in the shell for this. I would rather be safe than sorry so it is a no no for my birds.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Great link! Would this be practicle for growing for an Eclectus that would it it twice per day?
You might need two or three, but they are small enough to easily leave on the counter without taking up too much space.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I make enough sprouts to last 3 days. When they are done, I get the next batch going, and they are usually ready when I am about done with the previous batch. 1/8 of a cup of seed is all I do at a time for my crew, but you could easily do more than that at a time :) I use the Easy Sprouter

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive