• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would you get a Quaker again?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you quaker owners! Very helpful although a mixture of quiet and loud experiences with these birds. I have read a lot more about them being loud and to the point of being able to hear them down the street with all windows closed and it can be for long time periods, is honestly enough to rule them off my list...I think.

I will listen to some green cheeks being loud next, see what that is like and if it's just quick short noises not ongoing like the Quakers can be. Good comparison description right there, a smaller body to beak size. The green cheek I saw in the pet store was a small bird except for it's tail and that beak.
I can hear pretty much all my birds from the driveway with the windows closed. Most scream when they hear me come home and when they are let out for the evening. The only other time is when somebirdy sets off an alarm call and then the whole flock goes into alarm screaming mode ... :bash::bash::bash:

allie136

Strolling the yard
I can hear pretty much all my birds from the driveway with the windows closed. Most scream when they hear me come home and when they are let out for the evening. The only other time is when somebirdy sets off an alarm call and then the whole flock goes into alarm screaming mode ... :bash::bash::bash:
Yours sound really good noise wise compared to others I've read about and there is one on youtube continually screaming in the evening, it's ear splitting even using earphones and goes on and on and on. Maybe that's his evening flock call I don't know :scared4:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
As I said, Tikki sun conure is the real screamer and he is LOUD. The gccs have a tendency to be a shrill, the Quakers can be loud but not the decibel level of Tik and the tiels can be noisy. A whole lot will depend on what level/pitch one can understand without beginning to feel as if one is about to start bleeding from the ears. :blahblah: :listenup: :blink: :backout: :canthear: :imok:

allie136

Strolling the yard
Do you quaker owners find them quite independent or more clingy type birds? That's the impression I've got of a difference between them and conures who sound very clingy. It would be better for me to have a bird content being in their cage or even out of their cage but not always on me. I've had small parakeets in the past who were very happy on their own in cages or outside of cages by themselves independently in a room with me going about my business. Are quakers more like that and not as clingy as a conure?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It's difficult to pin-point. It will depend entirely on the Quaker's personality and how it was socialized. Kiwi was a cuddle-bug and loved to be on/with me but she was also used to playing by herself until we got Sunny tiel (a year later) to keep her company. Both JJ and Baby are flighted and will more than happily come to me/my hubby though Baby doesn't usually go to Fred. Baby comes to me when he wants his pin feathers broken up which also involves some one-on-one cuddle time or I'm washing dishes and he's interested in having a bath.

Daisy can't fly (found as a feral chick with a broken wing and injured leg, which were never treated, before coming to me as an adult) and though Loofa can fly she has bonded with Daisy (aka Jaws) and gets very anxious if she's removed from the cage and Daisy isn't with her.

Beni is the cuddle/snuggle bug of my gccs and would be fat, dumb & happy if he could just sit on me all day, chewing on my hair and sharing everything I eat/drink & do (and then some).

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Daisy can't fly (found as a feral chick with a broken wing and injured leg, which were never treated, before coming to me as an adult) and though Loofa can fly she has bonded with Daisy (AKA Jaws) and gets very anxious if she's removed from the cage and Daisy isn't with her.
That means that when I "birdnap" Daisy (because I LOVE feisty ladies!) I'll be making room for Loofa, also...;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Miss Daisy is quite a character. She is not specifically hand friendly but does understand that, if she's been spooked off her cage, a hand offered means a safe means of transportation back to Loofa and the cage. Any other time, you approach at your own risk and take your skin in your hands. She's about as predictable as the weather and has a "bite/don't bite" switch which is trigger hair.

She is a bodacious lady who now must be close to at least 8 years of age but there was never any real date associated with her being found. Chain link gloves to the elbow would be good to use and you do need to watch your back and any other body part that gets close to the ladies' cage. Loofa puts up a very brave "jaws" front but doesn't really have her heart in biting. Miss Daisy does not hold back ....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Miss Daisy is quite a character. She is not specifically hand friendly but does understand that, if she's been spooked off her cage, a hand offered means a safe means of transportation back to Loofa and the cage. Any other time, you approach at your own risk and take your skin in your hands. She's about as predictable as the weather and has a "bite/don't bite" switch which is trigger hair.

She is a bodacious lady who now must be close to at least 8 years of age but there was never any real date associated with her being found. Chain link gloves to the elbow would be good to use and you do need to watch your back and any other body part that gets close to the ladies' cage. Loofa puts up a very brave "jaws" front but doesn't really have her heart in biting. Miss Daisy does not hold back ....
I have a real soft spot in my heart for birds like Daisy. She is who she is, humans be darned...a true independent, free soul...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My GCC was much more independent than my quaker.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have a real soft spot in my heart for birds like Daisy. She is who she is, humans be darned...a true independent, free soul...
Maybe when we move to Florida in 2018 we can swing through your area ... ;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Maybe when we move to Florida in 2018 we can swing through your area ... ;)
Well, if the legislature would stop thinking that Quakers are a menace to society and make ownership of "gray-fronted conures" legal, you never know. :)

That in all probability won't happen, though...they're too dam stupid to do something like that...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well, if the legislature would stop thinking that Quakers are a menace to society and make ownership of "gray-fronted conures" legal, you never know. :)

That in all probability won't happen, though...they're too dam stupid to do something like that...
It means that a bunch politicians would have to work together and then hell will freeze over! :omg: Did I just say that out loud?:lol:

wasabismom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
:) loved reading this thread...
When I got my Quaker Wasabi as a 4 month old from a bird store... She was quiet and not very friendly at first after a few months she got loud spunky and comfortable. She also got demanding... She likes to have attention but she is not very snuggly. She likes to be on you with you but you can't snuggle her or just sit you have to pay attention and entertain her. She did go thru puberty which I then got lots of bites. She used to be loud and almost "clingy"... I recently got her another Quaker companion and it's amazing how quiet things are now... They sound off together for maybe less than a minute 2 times a day... And then they cluck and talk the rest of the day they are quiet angels. Wasabi is still very tame and loves me but she is now cage aggressive like her buddy Blu... She is still the same when I take her out she sits with me and is fun and I have to entertain and feed and play with her but she is happy to go back to her cage with Blu... Who is now also warming up to me with good food :) so she is less clingy now.
I have had Wasabi for 3 years and I adore her. I will have her for another 20+ years. Would I get another Quaker? Do everything again? Yes probably but I always wanted a snuggly bird and even tho I have 4 birds now (2 cockatiels and 2 Quakers) I still don't have a snuggly bird like some teils or conures can be. I have a green fiesty diva who is smart, demanding, and always makes me laugh by laughing at me :)

allie136

Strolling the yard
:) loved reading this thread...
When I got my Quaker Wasabi as a 4 month old from a bird store... She was quiet and not very friendly at first after a few months she got loud spunky and comfortable. She also got demanding... She likes to have attention but she is not very snuggly. She likes to be on you with you but you can't snuggle her or just sit you have to pay attention and entertain her. She did go thru puberty which I then got lots of bites. She used to be loud and almost "clingy"... I recently got her another Quaker companion and it's amazing how quiet things are now... They sound off together for maybe less than a minute 2 times a day... And then they cluck and talk the rest of the day they are quiet angels. Wasabi is still very tame and loves me but she is now cage aggressive like her buddy Blu... She is still the same when I take her out she sits with me and is fun and I have to entertain and feed and play with her but she is happy to go back to her cage with Blu... Who is now also warming up to me with good food :) so she is less clingy now.
I have had Wasabi for 3 years and I adore her. I will have her for another 20+ years. Would I get another Quaker? Do everything again? Yes probably but I always wanted a snuggly bird and even tho I have 4 birds now (2 cockatiels and 2 Quakers) I still don't have a snuggly bird like some teils or conures can be. I have a green fiesty diva who is smart, demanding, and always makes me laugh by laughing at me :)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I also plan on getting 2 birds, so I expect them to be less clingy with me as they have each other. I hope I can still keep them both tame though being house birds, but if not I can move them outside in an aviary. Most likely will end up doing that anyway as I want to breed them and know they all become less tame more aggressive if breeding. Must get a parrot behaviour book asap

Luvss2ride

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynn
Oh yes.... in fact, I'd like another one now ...but there aren't many in Iowa.
I got Kiwi from a breeder (that's another story...lol) and she's the sweetest thing.... not noisy.
I just adore her spunky personality! We have a blind CAG and also a plum head parakeet. We also had a U2. Kiwi is my favorite of all of them ♡ 20161020_190633.jpg

Komandr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristin
Honestly, I would get a quaker again some day. Yes, Jade could be heard down the street, she would turn up the volume any time someone dared talk on the phone or watch TV, and she would make these silly "WAH WAH WAH" noises in the most inappropriate times. But she made up for it with her talking, and the "WAH WAH WAH", and the funny noise she'd make if she tripped over a perch. Those were the best. She'd quiet down if I sat next to the cage.

withoutwingz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elle
I've only had Apollo since June of this year, so while I don't have as much experience as others do, I have *some* Apollo is pretty independent. He likes to be able to perch on his cage and come and go on his person, his cage and fly as he pleases. He's pretty quiet if I am out here with him. He jabbers when others are talking I find it hilarious and just a little annoying. I love him to pieces and find myself missing him when I'm gone for a few hours. So while I don't ex pet to have to get another one for over 20 years I am already biased toward this breed of birds and would want one again. He is so funny and smart and loving

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
I would absolutely get another Quaker. Cash, my first Quaker, was a rescue from our local animal shelter. I knew the day I brought him home that it was meant to be. We bonded instantly & he loved everyone. When Cash passed, I felt just empty inside. About 6 months later, a friend of my mothers needed to sell a Indian Ringneck so I bought him. We did not get along at all. He hated me & everyone in my house so I sold him to someone with more experience with ringnecks & two days later, without even looking, I met Ivy. She has helped fill some of the emptyness in my heart left from my beloved Cash. Quakers have a way of stealing your heart. They will make you laugh, cry & bring you more joy than you ever could expect from a little green bird. They all have different personalities & will get on your last nerve at times but I wouldn't have it any other way!
My mother has a Quaker & a Sun Conure. The Sun is 100% louder than her Quaker & a lot messier too.

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
I know this thread is older, but thought I would post anyway. My Quaker now is over 17 yrs old, he will be my last. Two reasons, one my age, at 60 I need to start thinking of not replacing all the animals I have now..and also out of all the birds I have had nothing is as territorial as a Quaker! All my other birds, if I need to do a quick scrape of a grate or quick clean of a grate I can put my hands into any of my bird cages...the Quaker I do at my own risk...he will bite the hand that feeds him if it is in his cage territory. Outside he is fine...inside he lets you know in know uncertain terms you have invaded his castle! That said, I wouldn't tell someone not to get one, just know how territorial they can be

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
Quakers can be very loud, very exciting, very talkative, and very territorial. Check on you tube for videos of the noise. They have a funny speech pattern and very distinct voice!