• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoo Med Light?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was checking this out this AM but the reviews on Amazon dissuaded me from purchasing it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have heard bad things about them also; and, if I am not mistaken, they use a reptile bulb in it (which, from what I was reading, is not what you want or need) and they are extremely inconsistent with their out put.

If you are just needing light (which is what I would recommend as the benefits from bulbs for UV are inconsistent at best and harmful at worst), then any lamp with some CFL or LED lights with 5500K bulbs will do the job just fine :)

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Not a fan of their lighting products.
I am happy with FeatherBrite bulbs and lamp.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Jungle Dawn makes a nice LED light. I have a few for the vivariums. I don't know if they are technically full spectrum, but they grow plants well, and are a favourite with the dart frog people, as those vivs tend to be deep, and lushly planted. These are NOT reptile bulbs, and they should last a long time. NewEngland Herpetoculture sells them. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer. There is extensive info. about lighting on their site, and I e-mail when ever I have questions.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Glad I asked first. Will have to save up and get the fids a nice Featherbrite light..maybe christmas :)

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use Featherbrite as well.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I use regular floor lamps with metal reflector shades and Blue Max light bulbs which are designed for people with SAD (Seasonal affective disorder). I got my lamps at target and I think my bulbs from bulbs.com.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Ditto on the Zoo Med lamps being reptile bulbs. If you put them too close to the cage during the "burn in" period, it *CAN* result in "sun burn" to the bird's eyes, which could require medicated drops until the eyes heal. It can also cause 3rd degree burns. (another member used a heated reptile bulb from Zoo Med for a partially plucked RB2 - and got serious burns)

When looking for a good light, you want something around 6500k, and 94+ lumens. Fluorescent tube bulbs are better than compact/small ones, although I don't know if LED is better than Fluorescent or not. LED's are lower wattage and give off very little heat where-as a Fluorescent bulb can give off heat. It would depend on what type of light you purchased, and if it was high output or "normal".