• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where do you house your birds indoors and why?

animallover9

Walking the driveway
Mine have there own room. It allows them to be out all day with no worry of the cats getting to them as well as being able to turn the lights off and close the door so they can sleep and not be disturbed by my fiance being up and the other animals running around.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I'm curious... For people who put their birds in the basement, how do you deal with lighting? Don't birds need sunlight? Do you have UV lamps everywhere?
I live in a basement :wacky:

Modern windows block most UV, otherwise your furniture and stuff would fade from the sun. I still like to open the windows to give them brighter, more natural light, but for UV you either need to buy a specific fixture (questionable) or just take them outside to sunbath a few times a week. :D

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Grumbles is in my room, mostly because we have a cat and also because he is my bird. My room is in the basement, but plenty of natural light. When we finish the basement he will be in the living area of the basement, to be separate from my cat. :) As for the uv, I just bring him outside often. I might get a lamp for the winter though, as I won't be able to bring him outside in -20 degrees.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
My birds have lived in different areas of the house at different times (living room, three different bedrooms, they have been divided up and together in the same room). My birds now have their own space downstairs in the basement in a room off of our bedroom. They are all together except for my doves. They haven't been moved in there yet even though their quarantine ended. I haven't been in a big hurry to move them but they will go in the bird room eventually. In the bird room I currently have a loveseat and the kids old train table/ activity table for a work station to make toys etc. I plan on changing the love seat out soon for a couple nice chairs instead although it will be a problem for naps :confused::o:

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
We just moved house and the birds now have a bedroom of their own. It is great!
Before that we had them in the dining room, which was open to the kitchen. It didn't really suit anyone, we had to cook with minimal light so as not to disturb Sapphire.

Our new birdroom opens onto the living room. It is not bird proof so they use their cages when we are out. They also have a large day aviary which we are attaching to the lounge room. Our new place is on the edge of rainforest full of snakes so the birds can only be outside under supervision too. I'm really paranoid about snakes getting them!

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Rio and Popper have a room in the basement. Used to be my office/making stuff room and it has a linoleum floor. The basement is a daylight basement - we all sleep down there and the hanging gym is in front of the window but I suspect Popper needs more light.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Mine are in the bedroom, I'm in there most and it give more humidity from the shower - which they fly to first thing in the morning. It also has 2 windows for them to see out of - full of perches & swings. I also like that if one has any issues at night I'm there. Watching TV after covering doesn't seem to bother them. I made the spare room into my closet so work clothes don't get poopy on them:lol:

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Our (fiancé and I) Bourke's lives in the living room. It's a one-bedroom apartment, so most of our time is spent in the living room when we're home. The old cage was next to a window (partially covered for shade/heat, etc...) The new cage is larger and wouldn't fit there, so it is more centrally located in the room. Bedroom just wouldn't work for us.

In a perfect world we would have an extra bedroom off of the living room to serve as a studio, office, guest room, bird room. *swoon*

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't have the luxury of a bird room. Mine are both kept in the main living area. No one really uses the TV at night and it's easy to keep where they are pretty dark at night while still giving the humans a good amount of light.

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@MKMDDN - you will find that guests don't like to sleep with feathers in their mouths, ears, etc.[/QUOTE

Noted - possibly remedied by a pull-out couch. Hmm - lots to consider.

I don't have the luxury of a bird room. Mine are both kept in the main living area. No one really uses the TV at night and it's easy to keep where they are pretty dark at night while still giving the humans a good amount of light.
Same here!

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
I live in a one-bedroom apartment, so Joey's cage is in the living room.

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Lawrence's cage is in the living room, which is a very well lit space and well-trafficked, unless my parents go away for a few days, in which case I'll wheel her cage out into the rumpas room or wherever it is that I'm spending most of my time. I don't worry too much about keeping her in a quiet place as noise won't keep her from doing what she wants to do (unless it's the sound of a sulphur crested, which are not allowed to be in her yard, in her opinion, and must be yelled at)-- she'll happily nap through me playing a loud FPS when her cage is in the rumpas room and will settle down straight away if I reply to her contact call when I come home in the wee hours of the morning and accidentally wake her up :)

Here's a picture of her usual spot:
20161025_160257.jpg

Reactions: TWR

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
So I got away from AA for a bit and recently remembered that I'd started this thread. Boy, I didn't count on there being so many replies--and such a variety of them. I really anticipated the majority of people to say that they house their birds in their living-room area, but it seems that people still keep birds all over--wherever they can, for various reasons.

If I do convince my husband to agree to us having birds again--or at least a bird--I think that she/he/they would be housed in our largest extra bedroom, which is where we had our previous feathered family members. We have a more open floor plan between the kitchen and living room--and I'm a worrier, so having birds nearest the kitchen when we're cooking would have me feeling high-strung all the time. Heh-heh...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
My guys are in the living room where I spend most of my time ..its hard in the winter because the dogs have to be outside when the birds are out and it gets very cold up here ..so it looks like we are going to build a door between our living room and the kitchen so the birds can be out and the dogs and cats can be in ...its gonna look kinda weird maybe ...but I want every one safe and warm during the winter ..the things we do for our animals ...but I like having them in the living room because I can see them all the time ..talk to them all the time ...keep them engaged ...Tyrion specially seems to like it ..he is always talking to me :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi again @Dragonseer Good to see you.

That sounds like a good plan. We also have the open plan -- LR, DR, kitchen and office all open, plus sliders to the lanai and front door that could be opened at any moment. So the bird room, altho it moves them away from us somewhat, worked out better for flight.

I just spent 2 hr sitting in there with them. Well, and working. So they aren't exactly isolated. :D And my sis in law who has a bird phobia doesn't have to see them. LOL

kerrielou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
kerrielou
Echo's main cage and perch is in my office\bedroom, but she also spends several hours a day in the living room on the tiel's cage and play area. She tends to be a bit of a bully so I try to encourage her to spend more time in the office with me where she also has a play stand with a toy box, but she often finds me too boring. If she sees me eating anything or even thinks I'm preparing food in the kitchen (even when I'm just cleaning it) she goes ballistic wanting some. I often have to substitute what I'm eating or prepare her a separate tiny portion with no seasoning. Lately she's been with me more, but when I'm out of the office and she's not locked in her cage (I only lock her in at night) I can't trust her in there by herself.

So basically she has two areas and because her screech is so loud I pretty much give in and let her be in whichever one she chooses. Around 6:30 to 7pm she does want to go to bed in her cage and will let you know it. I keep all the lights off, but I do sometimes computer or watch TV. It doesn't seem to bother her much has there is always a lot of beak grinding in the evenings after she's in her cage, which she is VERY territorial about, especially at night.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
I just spent 2 hr sitting in there with them. Well, and working. So they aren't exactly isolated. :D And my sis in law who has a bird phobia doesn't have to see them. LOL
You and I have a considerable bit in common, including us each having a sister-in-law with a bird phobia. LOL