• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thumper in hospital

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Irishj9 Did Thumper have Aspergillosis? Or was it another type of fungal infection?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
That is great news!

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
I just saw this now! Sorry little Thumper was sick and so glad he is feeling better!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
@Irishj9 Did Thumper have Aspergillosis? Or was it another type of fungal infection?
I imagine if it was asper they wouldnt have allowed him home to share the aviary with the rest of the flock. Still its a good question. I still dont know what kind of fungus it was. Ill pop them an email

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He already had the beginnings of a fuzz butt back then ...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I imagine if it was asper they wouldnt have allowed him home to share the aviary with the rest of the flock. Still its a good question. I still dont know what kind of fungus it was. Ill pop them an email
Asper is not communicable except under certain circumstances - such as an Asper bird feeding a well bird. Jasper and Hank lived together for a year or more while Hank had Asper and Jasper didn't. If a bird (or human) has a decent immune system they can easily handle Asper fungus unless they get an overwhelming dose of it.

Glad poor little Thumper is home.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So glad Thumper is home. He deserves all the extra attention. And yes I remember his baby pictures :heart::heart::heart:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
The oxygen tank really helps them and really perked up Nerd on his last illness where he probably had some kind of fungus infection, or old age finally caught up with him.
Happy to hear little Thumper is all better and back with Daddy :dance4::hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The younger the bird the more susceptible to Asper/aflatoxins. Also birds with compromised immune systems.

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Vets reply to the asper question was non committal. I suspect they didnt even do a test. I wonder if his treatment is something generic?. All sounds off to me. Ill get the so to send more details

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It doesn't have to be Asper. Could have been a stomach fungus that was treatable with common fungicides. Asper needs a much bigger hammer than the common fungicides (the names of which I can't remember, since I just had a brain fart). For Asper it would be Terbinifine, Itraconazole or my favorite vorconazole.

Just be sure Thumper is treated long enough. Fungas is notoriously hard to completely eliminate.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They generally do a separate test for asper. Tried a few different meds with one of my birds: Sporanox (Itraconozole), Nizoral (Ketoconazole) and others which I don't remember.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry Thumper is sick :( I'm glad he's starting to feel better. I hope he makes a full recovery
:hug8:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
It doesn't have to be Asper. Could have been a stomach fungus that was treatable with common fungicides. Asper needs a much bigger hammer than the common fungicides (the names of which I can't remember, since I just had a brain fart). For Asper it would be Terbinifine, Itraconazole or my favorite vorconazole.

Just be sure Thumper is treated long enough. Fungas is notoriously hard to completely eliminate.
yes well he came home with meds and has a follow up appointment Nov 4th

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
yes well he came home with meds and has a follow up appointment Nov 4th
At the risk of getting too personal, when will you be able to go home? It's getting close to the holiday season (coming from the U.S., there's Halloween which I know many countries do not celebrate, Thanksgiving ditto on the celebration, and then Hanukkah, Kwanzaa & Christmas ( not to mention other celebrations of Nature like Wiccans).

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
At the risk of getting too personal, when will you be able to go home? It's getting close to the holiday season (coming from the U.S., there's Halloween which I know many countries do not celebrate, Thanksgiving ditto on the celebration, and then Hanukkah, Kwanzaa & Christmas ( not to mention other celebrations of Nature like Wiccans).
Not personal at all Sandra. I have a home with a great friend in London. My family home is in Ireland. But my heart is in my house in Capetown with my birdies. I will go to see them before the Xmas rush to the beach, then probably spend Xmas in Ireland. But It has to be timed well as I'm on a project which is being driven hard.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Not personal at all Sandra. I have a home with a great friend in London. My family home is in Ireland. But my heart is in my house in Capetown with my birdies. I will go to see them before the Xmas rush to the beach, then probably spend Xmas in Ireland. But It has to be timed well as I'm on a project which is being driven hard.
I'd gathered some of what you told me from your posts and tried to PM you but couldn't. Home is where the heart is though if you're "international" there are sometimes several different levels of "home". London is beautiful but expensive (on a good day), I've family in E. Sussex and Scotland. Cousins I've never met in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) and S. Africa. Family heritage includes Ireland if I go far back enough. I hope you'll be able to celebrate the holidays as you've planned.