• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Green Cheek Biting

AuthenticMama

Sitting on the front steps
I'm sure the biting thread has happened a hundred times but I'm going to post this anyways :)

We got our very first bird (a sun conure) about a month ago, and she was so perfect! Unfortunately, for reasons we'll never know, she died last week.

Getting a bird was something we decided to do for my daughter to see if having a companion would help her anxiety. It did help, greatly. So, since the death of her first bird made her anxiety WAY worse, she decided she wanted to find another.

We met a green cheek conure on Tuesday and spent about 2 hours with him. He is a curious, spunky guy! Well, since we got him home Tuesday evening, he's been a giant stinker! He is constantly biting!! So far we've tried "time outs" putting him in his cage with no attention, and the "earthquake" shaking a little when he bites. These are seeming ineffective. I understand that it will take time and patience. My daughter is upset and frustrated because she just wants her perfect bird back and this guy is just a brat! His wings are clipped to the max but he can still fly really well. He just keeps taking off and flying away from us too.

He also isn't very food motivated. We have a vet appointment scheduled but it's 3 weeks out (earliest I could get without an emergency and without driving over an hour).

Any suggestions on getting him to calm down? Or things we can do to wear him out? Or something?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would back off and give him some space to start! Birds only bite for a reason - whether its because they are giving what they think is clear body language that is being ignored, or because they have learned that is the only thing us stupid humans listen to :p

So, I would just say that green cheeks are prone to being nippy anyways, using their beaks to communicate more so than a lot of other species seem to. But he needs some time to get used to you all and his surroundings. He is biting likely out of fear. I would find other ways that your daughter can interact with him without touching. After all, the easiest way to not get bit by a bird is to not give them a reason to bite. Him flying away constantly is a sign that he needs his space, and he is biting because you are ignoring that, and if he wasn't clipped before you brought him home and now he is, he's likely pissed and afraid because his freedom has been taken away.

He may not be food motivated yet. He needs time to settle in. Though, my green cheek was always more interested in foot toys than treats, so its possible you just haven't found his weakness yet.

I would also caution using the cage as a timeout. It causes the cage to be a negative place to be, and when that happens, you give the bird reason to avoid and dislike the cage, which makes it harder to get him back in during those times he NEEDS to be in there. It can also create screaming issues because they can become fearful of their home and will scream to be let out.

Time and patience is what you need.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Probably best to leave the little guy be for a few days or so. He is in a new environment with new people and objects and he could be scared. He might not want you to bother him right now. How about just sitting near him and talking to him. Does he take treats from your hand? You can offer him some treats to show him that you are his friend. Are you feeding him the same thing that the place where you got him from was feeding him? Be patient with him and do realize that everything around him is unfamiliar to him right now. Give him time to get adjusted.
Also check out Barbara Heidenreich: Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Green Cheeks LOVE to bite! Even when they have bonded to you! The trick is to get your fid to trust you TOTALLY! Then the bites will lessen due to the fact that you can avoid the bites because you now have a better understanding of his likes and dislikes and secondly because your fid knows that he has a choice in the matter and there is no need to bite you in the first place!

Training.... training... training!

There is a human saying... A day in the life! For Parrots, its a Year in your life! Nothing is going to happen overnight! You were very lucky with your Sunny in that he didn't have any bad habits at the time! But that doesn't mean that he wouldn't have developed any in the future!

So sorry for you loss... But glad you have another Fid to care for!

Last edited:

bumblebee

Walking the driveway
Peanut was super bitey as a baby as well. He would pinch down on my earlobes so hard it made me tear up! He was a little stinker as well... but greencheeks usually are from my experience. I used to give him time outs and say "uh-uh" or "no biting" when he would get really vigorous but honestly, it's just because he was a baby. Most baby birds are pretty beaky and nippy because they are testing everything out. They don't have hands and they're usually still pretty clumsy so they use their beak for everything. :laugh:

My new baby GCC, Hazel, is also very similar. Now that she has been home for a few days she has started to become confident and explore and is getting a bit nippy as well. It's just like when you get a kitten, they will claw at you a lot until they learn - same with puppies and their needle-y little teeth! All baby animals can be kinda rough until they learn how to better control themselves and learn what's acceptable and what's not in the household, imo.

As long as they aren't lunging or drawing blood, it's just part of having a baby bird from what I've experienced. Most babies tend to grow out of it, as long as you don't encourage the behavior by squealing when they bite or making it really fun for them.

Peanut is very gentle now, I've never been bitten by him. He was very nippy as a baby but since then he's never played rough or groomed me too hard. Even when I've upset him (stepped on his tail or had to clip his toenails) he doesn't bite, he just makes angry noise. :roflmao:

Give it time, baby conues are boisterouss little things and will take time to learn to be gentle. I suspect that maybe your sun conure was quiet and withdrawn because she may have been sick, if she suddenly died.

AuthenticMama

Peanut was super bitey as a baby as well. He would pinch down on my earlobes so hard it made me tear up! He was a little stinker as well... but greencheeks usually are from my experience. I used to give him time outs and say "uh-uh" or "no biting" when he would get really vigorous but honestly, it's just because he was a baby. Most baby birds are pretty beaky and nippy because they are testing everything out. They don't have hands and they're usually still pretty clumsy so they use their beak for everything. :laugh:

My new baby GCC, Hazel, is also very similar. Now that she has been home for a few days she has started to become confident and explore and is getting a bit nippy as well. It's just like when you get a kitten, they will claw at you a lot until they learn - same with puppies and their needle-y little teeth! All baby animals can be kinda rough until they learn how to better control themselves and learn what's acceptable and what's not in the household, imo.

As long as they aren't lunging or drawing blood, it's just part of having a baby bird from what I've experienced. Most babies tend to grow out of it, as long as you don't encourage the behavior by squealing when they bite or making it really fun for them.

Peanut is very gentle now, I've never been bitten by him. He was very nippy as a baby but since then he's never played rough or groomed me too hard. Even when I've upset him (stepped on his tail or had to clip his toenails) he doesn't bite, he just makes angry noise. :roflmao:

Give it time, baby conues are boisterouss little things and will take time to learn to be gentle. I suspect that maybe your sun conure was quiet and withdrawn because she may have been sick, if she suddenly died.
At what age would they not be considered a baby anymore?

Also, I wouldn't say our Sun Conure was quiet and withdrawn. She made plenty of noise and interacted a lot, she just was not a biter. She liked to snuggle and give kisses.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Green cheeks reached maturity around 18 months.

AuthenticMama

The rescue said this guy was 2. He has spurts of being totally "behaved" and then will just started continuously biting and making lots of noise. Seemingly out of nowhere. We try to give him space but he does not like being in the cage and just "screams" while he is in there.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Why does him having space have to mean he is confined to the cage?

AuthenticMama

Why does him having space have to mean he is confined to the cage?
We don't have the kind of household where we can just let him free roam or anything. He's safest in his cage or with us.

And I was specifically replying to someone saying to give him time to get used to us by sitting next to his cage

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So his only options are being locked in the cage or on you?

My green cheek would never have tolerated that lol. Not being rude, but he should be able to have his cage open in a safe room and be able to come out on his own. Giving him at least a semblance of freedom will go a long way to earning his trust!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
So his only options are being locked in the cage or on you?

My green cheek would never have tolerated that lol. Not being rude, but he should be able to have his cage open in a safe room and be able to come out on his own. Giving him at least a semblance of freedom will go a long way to earning his trust!
Ditto! And green cheeks can go through the "terrible twos". I've noticed lots being revoked on Craigslist because they suddenly became nippy,...and they were all around that age

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry she lost her bird as they were exceptional.
Your daughter is going to have to learn birds are not in general cuddly play toys.
There are a few but they mostly take alot of work & the right situations to get that way.

GCC are known to be on the nippy side. They have boundless energy & will try to get the upper hand.

First thing is to let the bird get used to the new home & people. Don;t expect it to immediately love, kiss & snuggle.
It may never be that way but if you give it a chance & not teach it to bite by putting it in the position where it feels it has to or can bite then you have a better chance of it not happening. Once it learns it can bite & it get what it wants then you lose alot of control.

Feed the bird, give it treats, talk softly to it. Let it hang on its cage & watch. It needs time to know its safe & you mean it no harm. Your daughter is young so she may not understand. Children just want things there way. She has to learn that
this is normal for a bird & that she needs to give it time & has to work with it slowly. Love can't be forced.

So sad her sun passsed & she had that special bond but truthfully she may never quite have that again as each bird is different. Suns loud as they are may be more cuddly but I wanted a cuddly bird too & it didnt happen. I learned its not really a bird thing. They are rare & even if they are they sometimes grow out of it. She will have to be satisfied for caring for this living creatures needs & hope someday they return the love...

As for the cage screaming he has to learn that there will be times he will be caged. Give him toys. He might not even know how to play with toys. You just have to be mindful of not giving into his tantrums as that only makes them worse.
Training & caring for a well behaved bird is not easy especially for a child. You will have to learn too & guide & teach her.

Good Luck

:sadhug2:

Last edited:

AuthenticMama

@camelotshadow excellent post

@AuthenticMama how's it going now?
Thanks everyone for your posts!
Pico can come out of his cage on his own and hang out on the cage but I don't let her leave him out if no one is in there to supervise as I don't want him getting hurt or eating something he shouldn't. So he can be out and my daughter is across the room from him, but he's not ever out and totally alone, does that make sense?

He does have toys in his cage and on the outside of his cage, but doesn't really play with them. He also seems a bit more picky with food than our first bird. He seems to really prefer me for some reason and behaves pretty well for me (if my daughter is having him on her shoulder and he sees me, he'll fly to me. It really annoys her haha). But he's a bit more rough with my daughter. I'm thinking maybe he just hasn't learned how to be gentle yet? I don't know...

I also figured out that when he does get rough, sometimes it's because he's trying to rip the moles off your skin :p lol.

He does get really feisty when he's been with us for more than a half hour or so and seems to get a big burst of energy. When that happens Ive been having him "step-up" continuously for a little bit to give him something to do, it seems to help.

I'm not sure if I said it here already but I did find out that in his previous home, he had free run of the house and not much human interaction. So I'm thinking that he's just got to get used to less freedom and more human contact.

We are so new to this bird thing and her first bird, Sunny, was so easy and effortless and so sweet and snuggly, we just weren't prepared for a little stinker! I do understand that all birds and their personalities will be different, it just sucks that she had such an amazing bond with a bird only to lose her!

I appreciate everyone's wisdom and experience and hope ya'll can be patient with me while we figure this whole bird thing out :)

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He may feel more comfy w you. MAybe he was owned by a woman & is not used to children. She needs to walk slow around him & have her feed & take care of him as it seems like he is choosing you over your daughter.
They sometimes pick there favorite people.

Understandable not wanting to leave him unattended in a room. They can get into danger especially electric cords.
They like to crawl under things & chew.

Don;t step him up continuously...you mean laddering like going from one hand to another?
It sometimes bores or frustrates them. Its going to be hard for your daughter to interact with him if he's always flying to you. She's going to have to learn how to interact w him & do it with you not in the room.

Some of them like to pick at moles & freckles & jewelry...LOL

Give him a week then maybe she can take him to a safe room & get down on the floor with him with a bowl of veggies & treats & some toys.
Is he clipped? Looks like it so it will be a little easier.
Can't wear him down. He;s scared & trying to find places where he feels safe.
He needs to learn that good things come from you & he will want come to you.

Shame about losing the heart bird...life is not fair sometimes.

He's new so its best to go slow.

Good Luck

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Ditto! And green cheeks can go through the "terrible twos". I've noticed lots being revoked on Craigslist because they suddenly became nippy,...and they were all around that age

interesting - Rio is almost 2....and we are in a biting phase.

AuthenticMama

He doesn't take any treats (we've tried sunflower seeds, mango, papaya, peanuts, pistacios, popcorn). he only eats from his bowl. his wings are as clipped as they can be. he doesn't really act scared (looking up body language and stuff online). I think he might just be a feisty picky dude! :p lol

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
First and foremost... please take a look at all the links in this thread! :)

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

So far we've tried "time outs" putting him in his cage with no attention, and the "earthquake" shaking a little when he bites. These are seeming ineffective.
Time outs can teach birds that biting equals cage. Many birds prefer being in their cages, so they'll bite to get to their cage. Not ideal.

Earthquake method can result in a bird biting harder or having trust issues with your hands. Not ideal.

The only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that never occurs. Essentially, it means learning the triggers to these bites and learning to avoid them.

He just keeps taking off and flying away from us too.
Is he flying to any specific destination? If he flies away, don't chase! May be better to talk to him, watch him, maybe slowly approach and see if he wants to go back to his cage.

He also isn't very food motivated.
What is his diet?

We don't have the kind of household where we can just let him free roam or anything. He's safest in his cage or with us.
Where does he prefer to be?

He does have toys in his cage and on the outside of his cage, but doesn't really play with them.
Does he have a variety of toys? Toys that make noise? Foraging toys? Easy to chew toys made with balsa or yucca? Toys with bells, beads or popsicle sticks?

He does get really feisty when he's been with us for more than a half hour or so and seems to get a big burst of energy. When that happens Ive been having him "step-up" continuously for a little bit to give him something to do, it seems to help.
Maybe it may help to only have him out for 10-15 minutes at a time then back to his cage or a gym?

Also, I don't recommend laddering *UNLESS* you are avoiding bites and rewarding desired behavior. So far, it doesn't sound like you have figured out a reward... so it's not a behavior I recommend doing with him.

It's better to try keeping your interactions with him short, and if he is with you, make sure he's kept busy with toys or learning new behaviors. Don't let him get bored to the point he feels the need to nip or bite!