• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a macaw with a screaming problem

ctpko

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello fellow bird people! I have been contacted about possibly taking in a macaw that is being surrendered because of divorce. He is a Catalina, hand fed and healthy, and I get the impression that he is young but not under a year. I have yet to meet him or sign any papers, but I want to be ready in case this goes through. I've been told he has no behavioral issues except a "screaming problem." From what I've heard, they had a special needs child in the home who went through a screaming phase, and that was when the bird picked up the habit. They said it would "definitely need to be worked on."

I live in the country, so noise isn't an issue in terms of neighbors. However, if I adopt this bird I will have it for a looong time, and I don't want to be listening to excessive screaming until after I'm retired. I fostered an umbrella too who would scream literally for hours at a time - I didn't have time to really work on it before he was placed. But lord, was I relieved!

What I'd like to know is, has anyone successfully improved a screamer? Also, how would you describe a macaw's vocalization as compared to a U2 or a sun conure, both of which I have experience with? I'll be reading through the threads here to find some good information for first time macaw owners, but if you have something to add to that as well I would love to hear. I want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's very doable but it does take some real understanding of the behaviour in order to turn it around and extinguish it. It can take a number of months to accomplish if you're following the protocol and it will get worse before it finally gets better and extinguishes.

A positive in your situation is that this bird will be coming to a brand new environment/world (yours). This is a great opportunity to get a handle on it quicker than if the bird was still in its old environment because everything is new. The new consistent routine (which is vital) is established right from the start.

You need the patience of a stone. This screaming thing is a mind game pure and simple. It's just a matter of out thinking them.

ctpko

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you. I also have something I forgot to add: the adoption of this bird, if it went through, would likely coincide with my vacation from work. I would have up to a solid week of not having to go to work. I wonder if it would be better to start out by having him out all the time, taking him everywhere I go, etc. and if this would kind of "reset" his desperation for attention (?) and give a little boost to his training right from the start. On the other hand, this might be too stressful. Please let me know your thoughts. At this point I'm just throwing ideas out, haha.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you. I also have something I forgot to add: the adoption of this bird, if it went through, would likely coincide with my vacation from work. I would have up to a solid week of not having to go to work. I wonder if it would be better to start out by having him out all the time, taking him everywhere I go, etc. and if this would kind of "reset" his desperation for attention (?) and give a little boost to his training right from the start. On the other hand, this might be too stressful. Please let me know your thoughts. At this point I'm just throwing ideas out, haha.

When you get him his whole world is going to be upside down. He's going to be stressed and anxious. Your only job at first is to gain trust and "reduce" stress.

I wonder if it would be better to start out by having him out all the time, taking him everywhere I go, etc. and if this would kind of "reset" his desperation for attention
No. What you will actually be doing is starting to introduce the same problem he came with and you are trying to fix. "Spoiling" with attention is what created this problem and then when you "withdraw" it just makes it worse.

They need a consistent routine where they get specified periods of quality attention and then periods where they are expected to entertain themselves. They will learn and come to expect this routine. That is what reduces stress, anxiety and ultimately frustration. That means 7 days a week. Not routine monday to friday and then break all the rules on the weekend. That's like training your kids all week and then sending them to grandmas for the weekend who spoils them rotten. Come monday you're starting over.

You will have an extremely difficult time turning this problem around if the birds is going to be living in the middle of everything (which is most likely how it lived before) because you need that separation between you and them to make it work. If a bird "knows" your there (even out of sight) it will use "all" its energy to get your attention for as long as it takes. However they are also smart enough to know when we are truly not there and will not waste much energy if any to get our attention. It's a mind game. The mind just has to believe what you want it to.

Some more good reading.

Natural Birdsmanship – Understanding/Treating Behavior Problems in Imprinted Birds Michael Doolen, DVM

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welcomeavenue:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Good luck with the macaw. John (@JLcribber ) has given you some good advice. I would echo his reply only spend the amount of time with this macaw as you would on an average day. Also I would recommend ambient attention the first couple days. Being in their presence and talking to them through the cage bars. Also get the biggest cage you can manage. A double macaw cage or a walk in indoor aviary would be wonderful is you have enough space.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ear plugs and patience! Try not to react to the screaming because it only gives them attention and generally leads to continuing or even more screaming in the future.