• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Accidentally Spoiled My Birds Once Again...

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
So I got some birthday money, and the first things that came to mind were some bird supplies I'd had my eye on! I accidentally went a little overboard, and now I wanna show everyone how spoiled my budgies really are!

This is their cage as of Friday night. I'd just cleaned it! It's a You & Me Flight Cage with dimensions of 18"H x 30"L x 18"W. (I'm waiting until I move out to get a bigger one (probably with wheels n such).

The new metal feeding dish on the left holds a pellet mix - ZuPreem and KayTee brand. The plastic cup that came with the cage holds one of the dishes of water. (That I caught Jersey bathing in several times! :laugh:)
Included in the picture is a small Kong brand dog toy that I use as a foraging toy for them. (Sometimes these exact same balls are on bird toys, I just wanted the ball though.) It's the smallest one I could find, and was only like $3-$4.

The new metal feeding dish on the right holds the brown flax seed/egg food mix that I put together. I only feed this one when one of my babies is molting, and it's Happy's turn to get through his baby molt so I make sure he has all of the calcium and protein he needs to stay healthy! In this picture is also my grapevine (unmounted) that I bought for them to play on when it's dinner time! It's actually from the reptile section, but it's almost the exact same as the mounted grapevines I've seen used as perches, and they love it!
I would just like to say that buying the metal feeding dishes is one of the best things I've ever spent money on, and I'd highly recommend them for everyone who owns birds. Plastic hasn't got anything on stainless steel! :p

Next we have a picture of what I call "the Pharmacy Corner" because it has their (new) lava rock - which they all love chewing on - their cuttle bone, and their strawberry mineral block. I placed all of those things over in one spot because that's where they primarily take naps and preen/spend most of their time.

This is one of the shelves that sits underneath my birds' cage. I've labelled the boxes accordingly, and like to keep everything very organized. (Almost) Everything edible goes in the bin labelled "Feeding Supplies" and the rest of the things that help me keep the cage tidy goes in "Cleaning and Maintenance Supplies."

Here's a sneak-peek into the "Feeding Supplies" tub! I have several different types of organic seeds I bought at a Natural Grocers' in town that I use to blend my own seed mix; tri-color quinoa, white quinoa, brown flax (in the red lid tub), mustard seed, etc. I have some special treats I've gathered up for the birdies like the yogurt-covered papya (that they don't even like!) and a mash I'm going to serve them on Christmas as a special meal! There is a packet labelled "Sunburst" that has chopped up dried fruits and vegetables that the babies love to chew on, even though there aren't any parakeets on the package.

On the bottom shelf are the two most important tubs I own. The top one being the current pellet mix that they eat everyday (and that is always readily available to them), and the seed/pellet mix they came to me eating. I'm always ready in case of an emergency and have food on hand in large quantities that I know that they'll eat.

Here's a picture of the training shelf! I keep my millet seed close at hand for 15 minute training sessions (at least 2 per day), and the Super-Awesome-Mom-Seed Mix (in the gravity feeder) that I make from the organic seeds I buy.

Lastly, here is where I keep the miscellaneous stuff. From left to right: the vet carrier (which is actually for ferrets?), extra towels (there are more in the cleaning supplies tub), my box from my cage for when I move out, the newspaper I've collected as cage liner, and the paper towels I use when cleaning.

I hope everyone enjoyed seeing how my budgies live, and if you have any questions (especially those new to budgie care) I'd be happy to answer them! :D

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Great setup! You for sure have a spoiled bunch. Happy late birthday, by the way!

I agree completely on the dishes, wouldn't trade my stainless steel dishes for anything. :lol:
Would you believe my little lovebird actually managed to crack a stainless steel dish once?
Shocked me so much. :hehe:

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wonderful setup! Happy birdies... without a doubt! :fairy2:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@Sylv_ how did she manage to do that? :hehe: And thank you!
I have no idea! :D I just went to change his water one morning and it was cracked.
Still confuses me, my only guess is that because it was thinner stainless steel it made it possible? :hehe:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Very cool! I love the rope swing.

Great setup! You for sure have a spoiled bunch. Happy late birthday, by the way!

I agree completely on the dishes, wouldn't trade my stainless steel dishes for anything. :lol:
Would you believe my little lovebird actually managed to crack a stainless steel dish once?
Shocked me so much. :hehe:
One of mine has cracked two. :shifty:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
One of mine has cracked two. :shifty:
The power those little lovie beaks can produce. :eek:

He also has a habit of throwing bowls of the cage walls, for that reason he only has bolt-on stainless steel dishes.
It still confuses me how his little self could lift and throw 5 ounces of water. :faint:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
The power those little lovie beaks can produce. :eek:

He also has a habit of throwing bowls of the cage walls, for that reason he only has bolt-on stainless steel dishes.
It still confuses me how his little self could lift and throw 5 ounces of water. :faint:

SUPER BIRD......

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very nice! Love all the pics :)

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
Super setup! Organization is so important! It makes chores and responsibilities so much easier.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Thank you all!

I can't believe some of the crazy trouble lovies get into! :laugh: I definitely wouldn't want to have to replace stainless steel, though I'll update you if my budgies ever gain super strength and start throwing their water dishes around! :lol:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Great setup and management!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Everything looks wonderful!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Spoiled babies for sure!

allie136

Strolling the yard
I second the 'WOW'! Not thought of a grapevine? piece for my budgie cage before, excellent idea adding it to my list now.

Couple of questions if you don't mind, any reason you chose not to have a rope perch? I never did but didn't know about them at the time and now I do they seem like a great idea, no?

Why do you have their food bowls on the ground level? Just curious if that is good and why?

What is the best food for budgie's? I only had mine on a pet store seed box mix they were on when I got them, being very young at the time I never looked into what else was available or knew any better. So this time I would like to give my bird the best if possible, but what is that? I did offer fresh fruits and millet was always in the cage plus a regular pet store seed treat bar/toy thing.

Thanks in advance if you get time to answer :xflove:

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Well done!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Great job spoiling your little birdies. Keep on spoiling them by not supporting Kay Tee any more. They run bird mills under assumed names. Plus the ingredients they use are really low quality.