• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Readying for Winter

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I was born in PA and we moved to Phoenix, AZ when I was 4. Now I'm in San Diego, CA. I get worried because our sliding glass doors have NO insulation. I was just telling my husband that I wanted to move Beaksey's cage to an interior wall because I was cold the other night. I think it dipped below 70. I guess I dont have to rush, huh? :imstupid:

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Great post!

I am also in a very cold region, and although I wore shorts and a t-shirt today, I know that frigid temperatures could be right around the corner.

I live in a house built in the 1880s that is predisposed to drafts and general chilliness. My bird room is the small sun room, which someone at some point converted from an open front porch. It is not the coldest room in the house, but it isn't warm either. In winter, I usually cover the windows in plastic, some years both inside and outside. I am getting ready to caulk the windows on both the inside and outside as well.

I do not cover my birds at night, but I close the thick window curtains, which are tight up against the windowpanes. If the temperature outside is really low, like below -10 F, I usually leave the curtains closed during the day as well.

I use a wall unit electrical heater for about six months out of the year. It runs full time for about the three coldest months and keeps the temperature to at around the mid-sixties: Wall Mounted Electric Heating | Best Electric Heaters Energy Efficient | Envi High-Efficiency Whole Room Electric Panel Heater

I use a cool mist humidifier that I refill every morning. I try to keep the humidity up to at least 40% using that device plus about twenty small- to medium-sized bird-safe houseplants. It is still a struggle as the air here gets incredibly dry.

Has anyone used those snuggle heaters made for birds? I am tempted: https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Snuggle-Warmer-Medium-Large/dp/B00CLA19BQ

Or the heated perches? I am tempted by those as well: Bird Perches: Heated bird perch: Thermo Perch

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I live in Minnesota also. my fids are on the far wall away from the deck door so they are no where near the drafts. I run warm steam vaporizer all winter, it helps with my breathing and keeps the birds breathing well too. By the way @Flyover, cool mist humidifiers can contain a lot of germs, bacteria no matter how well you clean them. my vet only recommends warm steam type vaporizer. if it's really cold -10F I have heating pads that I add to their cages. I live on 3rd floor in apt building so the heat is can be beyond hotter the hinges of you know where, but if the winds are flying out of northwest and colder then all get out. I add electric blanket set at 5 over the cages if need be.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@Flyover Radiant heat is actually a great way to heat a small space for a bird. Much more energy efficient and does not dry the air like forced hot air.

The bird has the option to move closer or farther away to achieve that sweet spot in temperature.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That is a pretty sweet wall heater. Might have to get one of those.

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
Great post!

I am also in a very cold region, and although I wore shorts and a t-shirt today, I know that frigid temperatures could be right around the corner.

I live in a house built in the 1880s that is predisposed to drafts and general chilliness. My bird room is the small sun room, which someone at some point converted from an open front porch. It is not the coldest room in the house, but it isn't warm either. In winter, I usually cover the windows in plastic, some years both inside and outside. I am getting ready to caulk the windows on both the inside and outside as well.

I do not cover my birds at night, but I close the thick window curtains, which are tight up against the windowpanes. If the temperature outside is really low, like below -10 F, I usually leave the curtains closed during the day as well.

I use a wall unit electrical heater for about six months out of the year. It runs full time for about the three coldest months and keeps the temperature to at around the mid-sixties: Wall Mounted Electric Heating | Best Electric Heaters Energy Efficient | Envi High-Efficiency Whole Room Electric Panel Heater

I use a cool mist humidifier that I refill every morning. I try to keep the humidity up to at least 40% using that device plus about twenty small- to medium-sized bird-safe houseplants. It is still a struggle as the air here gets incredibly dry.

Has anyone used those snuggle heaters made for birds? I am tempted: https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Snuggle-Warmer-Medium-Large/dp/B00CLA19BQ

Or the heated perches? I am tempted by those as well: Bird Perches: Heated bird perch: Thermo Perch

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!
That wall heater is great! We end up with quite a few nights at-25 F and those heaters would work very well to help! Do you know if they are Teflon free? I read the description but I could do not find any mention of that

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Birds are pretty adaptable to cold temperatures, within reason. We never have the thermostat set over 63 all winter - tho it often gets a little bit warmer during the day from sun shining in. The birds are fine, but are definitely much more snuggly in winter (the cats were, too, when we had them). They have a small heating panel but never use it; apparently a friendly human makes a much better bird warmer.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I was born in PA and we moved to Phoenix, AZ when I was 4. Now I'm in San Diego, CA. I get worried because our sliding glass doors have NO insulation. I was just telling my husband that I wanted to move Beaksey's cage to an interior wall because I was cold the other night. I think it dipped below 70. I guess I dont have to rush, huh? :imstupid:
You know you're used to living in the midwest when Californians, Texans and Floridians complain about the temps dropping below the 70's and you know that you've switched to a "light jacket" in March because the temps were above 32.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Birds are pretty adaptable to cold temperatures, within reason. We never have the thermostat set over 63 all winter - tho it often gets a little bit warmer during the day from sun shining in. The birds are fine, but are definitely much more snuggly in winter (the cats were, too, when we had them). They have a small heating panel but never use it; apparently a friendly human makes a much better bird warmer.
I think it also has to do with the gradual change in temps - not a 90 to 32 drop overnight - though it does sometimes happen outside.

Last edited:

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
I like that heater! Which reminds me, I need to start looking for a new one. Mine is 10 years old, good enough for me, but Kanji needs one that I know is safe.

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
That wall heater is great! We end up with quite a few nights at-25 F and those heaters would work very well to help! Do you know if they are Teflon free? I read the description but I could do not find any mention of that
I never even thought of Teflon in the wall device. I also checked online and found no mention of it, so I have emailed the company with that question. I am hopeful to get a response early this week. I have used this heater in that room for three winters without issue, but I need to know. The heater is billed as safe for small children and pets (but birds are probably not on their radar in terms of teflon). The device never actually gets "hot" in the sense that you can still touch it and not be burnt. I have read that teflon has to reach a high temperatures before it becomes dangerous: http://buffalobirdnerd.com/clients/8963/documents/Teflon.pdf I am very interested to hear what the company has to say.

Radiant heat is actually a great way to heat a small space for a bird. Much more energy efficient and does not dry the air like forced hot air.

The bird has the option to move closer or farther away to achieve that sweet spot in temperature.
I will seriously look at these as an option. One of my cages is on two exterior walls, and the other two are against one exterior wall.

By the way @Flyover, cool mist humidifiers can contain a lot of germs, bacteria no matter how well you clean them. my vet only recommends warm steam type vaporizer.
I was weighing those options last winter. This winter I will follow your vet's advice and use a warm mist one that boils the water to kill the bacteria. I have some warm mist ones ready to go since I use them in different spots in the house trying to keep my sinuses and houseplants going strong during the super dry Minnesota winter months.

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I heard back from Envi Heaters. The rep assured me in writing that the heaters "contain no Teflon whatsoever."

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
I heard back from Envi Heaters. The rep assured me in writing that the heaters "contain no Teflon whatsoever."
That's awesome, I think I may try them.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
@JLcribber , does it count if the snot freezes in your nose?

So, we have an oil heater in the bird room since the door is closed and it gets cooler in there than other places but I'm not convinced it is the right thing to do. The room is not DRAFTY its consistently cooler than the rest of the house.

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
That's the same think I'm worried about. My room is the farthest one from the furnace, and is always colder then the rest of the house.