• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My New Green- Sad Update Post #23

dipplestix

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
Got him today after planning for around a year, incredibly happy. He's super sweet, affectionate, and the waste isn't anywhere near as bad as other people made it seem. Will post more tomorrow.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful!

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
He is beautiful as stated.....I think they are such cool looking birds.
Would love to see more of him and hear about him, what is his name?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So pretty! Gratz :fairy2:

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
oh wow, how exciting! He's beautiful!

Scubamom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lisa Brown
Hi, dipplestix! I got my baby green aracari yesterday. I'm jealous after reading your post because my baby doesn't want anything to do with me. I left him alone yesterday thinking he needed some time to adjust. Today was no better. He freaks everyone I get near the cage. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm so disappointed.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
WOW ...he is beautiful :fairy:

Scubamom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lisa Brown
Is your bird banded? Where did he come from? I just noticed that my bird is not banded.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Got him today after planning for around a year, incredibly happy. He's super sweet, affectionate, and the waste isn't anywhere near as bad as other people made it seem. Will post more tomorrow.

Haha it's been about a month since you posted so I can only wonder if your opinions on aracari poops has changed at all in that time. I know I'm usually not bothered by Kevin's poops until one is missed and you accidentally step on it in the middle of the night....

Hi, dipplestix! I got my baby green aracari yesterday. I'm jealous after reading your post because my baby doesn't want anything to do with me. I left him alone yesterday thinking he needed some time to adjust. Today was no better. He freaks everyone I get near the cage. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm so disappointed.
How is your aracari doing Scubamom? I hope his initial skittishness was due to moving to a new home.

dipplestix

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
Haha it's been about a month since you posted so I can only wonder if your opinions on aracari poops has changed at all in that time. I know I'm usually not bothered by Kevin's poops until one is missed and you accidentally step on it in the middle of the night....
I still find them pretty manageable, but I think I just got lucky that he seems to only poop in his cage and on the two stands I have set up for him in the living room. Still doing great overall as well

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I've never seen these before, he's very handsome.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@dipplestix he's very pretty! Congrats btw :xflove:

What did you name him? Will you tell us more about your toucan, please?

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
Beautiful bird! I think they would be fascinating pets!

dipplestix

Moving in
Real Name
Chris
@dipplestix he's very pretty! Congrats btw :xflove:

What did you name him? Will you tell us more about your toucan, please?
His name is Mango. He's a green aracari (which is the smallest toucan species). His diet consists of mostly fruit (his favorite food is blueberries, although he also likes cantaloupe, watermelon, plums, pears, grapes, apples, mangos [sparingly], and peaches) along with some low iron pellets. He's not clipped since he's not a very good climber due to not having a particularly strong beak and likes to fly around his cage/my apartment. He's also incredibly affectionate and will just spend hours curled up on your chest/shoulder if you let him.

bumblebee

Walking the driveway
Oh how sweet! What a cool little guy. It sounds like he has a diet similar to a lorikeet? I'm guessing that's why people are saying their poop is so awful, haha.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Oh how sweet! What a cool little guy. It sounds like he has a diet similar to a lorikeet? I'm guessing that's why people are saying their poop is so awful, haha.
The poop to body size ratio for any fruit eater is always going to be bad but at least aracaris don't have projectile poop like lories. I still don't understand how or why lorikeets are able to shoot poop sideways but it makes aracari clean up much more manageable. :D