• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Household plants - cacti

Jmelyn210

Moving in
Real Name
Jaime
Is it safe to have little cacti/succulent plants in the same room as a bird? They will be placed in a location where she will not be able to access them.

I ask because Ive never owned household plants. Are household plants only toxic if ingested?

Thanks.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's very important to check the type of plant because some cacti and succulents have toxic sap. You say that your bird will not be able to access them but if they are in the same room then there is the chance that this might happen. Even when placed in another location when your bird is out there is always a possibility that they can reach them so you would have to be sure that they are in a protected area.

Jmelyn210

Moving in
Real Name
Jaime
She is always supervised and since she is not able to fly she will not be able to access them.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Still a good idea to look up the names of the plants and determine if they are toxic.
Is she clipped? Even with being clipped they can still fly a bit but then they can always get places by hopping & walking.

Jmelyn210

Moving in
Real Name
Jaime
Yes she is clipped. It would be placed on top of a book shelf. She certainly would not be able to get up by any other means. She flaps straight to the floor when she tried flying.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it gets on the skin it can cause burning and blistering.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
what kind of plant are you talking about? what is the name

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do realize this is not true of all cacti/succulents so if you know the name you can check on the internet but Euphorbia, Monodenium and Pachypodium are 3 examples of plants with toxic sap. I see lots of Euphorbia for sale at Home stores like Home Depot and Lowes and also local nurseries.

Jmelyn210

Moving in
Real Name
Jaime
We saw the plants at Home Depot. Not sure what they are. The little tags just said succulents

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
be very careful, JMHO I would skip the plants..

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I spoke to a lady who has live plants in her aviary. She suggested Spider plants to me, says they are completely safe and her birds love chewing them too. I would definitely go with something that is completely safe. Birds are unpredictable and can get into anything that's in their space(the room they are being kept in).

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When in doubt call a garden center. Thats what I did when someone gave me a plant I knew nothing about.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue