• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

early signs of plucking?

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
I looked below my bird's cage today and noticed a bunch of feather fibers on the ground. Not like down feathers at all. My bird seems to be really rough on his feathers when he preens, sometimes tearing out pieces of feather. That's not normal, right?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
By feather fibers do you mean feather sheaths? Or is he actually ripping off the barbs of his feathers (the pieces would be green)?

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
They look like barbs. Blue, like his flights and some green. Some sections on his wings look a little scruffy.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Then this is called barbering, when a bird just shreds their feathers. It could be happening for a variety of reasons. Though it's good to point out that barbering does not always mean your bird will then start fully plucking. We have a barbering bird that has never progressed to plucking as well as a plucking bird that also barbered all her remaining feathers to death. So it can go either way.

For now I would try to figure out why the barbering is happening. Could be anything from a simple desire to chew (in which you would want to provide lots and lots of shreddable toys), to over-aggressive preening (from stress? an unfortunate learned habit?), to allergies if his skin is feeling aggravated. I would try a vet visit to rule out anything internal then look to his environment. Hopefully some little changes will be all you need to clear things up!

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
Thanks. :) I appreciate the help!

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
I'll try to get some photos later.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Poor little fid... Hope he is ok!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How old is he?

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
He's 8 mo, more or less. Just finished getting his adult plumage.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
So here's what he's leaving below his cage on the poop catcher I have below his door. Those aren't hairs, there. And I can't get a picture of his wings, but there are little chunks pulled out of some of his feathers. I also suspect he may be pulling out barbs from the tip of his clipped wing feathers. When he's next to my ear, it sounds like he's ripping stuff out of his feathers.

Attachments

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy