• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness Training Boo the Too

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I would like to train Boo this winter so that next summer we can go outside together :) besides the video that is in the Aviator Harness package, is there anything that can help me keep all my fingers?
:sc2:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Glue. Tape. Needle and thread are all suitable for reattaching limbs. :)

How well can you handle him now without getting bitten? Can you wrap your hands around him and pick him up?

Start playing with that harness and keeping it around constantly.

MarieL

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Glue. Tape. Needle and thread are all suitable for reattaching limbs. :)

How well can you handle him now without getting bitten?
Can you wrap your hands around him and pick him up?

Start playing with that harness and keeping it around constantly.
Ha Ha
He doesn't bite (yet). Once I had him on my shoulder petting his head and touched a pin feather. He hollered and I braced myself for the coming removal of my ear, but he just hollered. That's when I knew I loved him.
I doubt it, but he will raise his wings for me to pet him.
It hangs on a perch next to his cage now. Next step is to get it closer to him.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
LOL John! Boo is really good, I can grasp him by the "sides" but he won't allow a pick up. He happily will let me touch him everywhere, but I know where the NO NO spots are! He will easily step up off the cage, floor or other perches onto my hand.
He is pretty good, but new things turn him into a maniac. LOL

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Before you can get the harness on they will need to be comfortable to be handled. Being able to lift their feet off the ground is a good indication they're ready.

They will need to be totally comfortable with the harness. That means seeing it all the time and nothing bad ever happens. Drape it around your neck. Eventually Drape it over the bird. Let them chew on it. You may have to let them destroy the first one. It's all a matter of conditioning.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Before you can get the harness on they will need to be comfortable to be handled. Being able to lift their feet off the ground is a good indication they're ready.

They will need to be totally comfortable with the harness. That means seeing it all the time and nothing bad ever happens. Drape it around your neck. Eventually Drape it over the bird. Let them chew on it. You may have to let them destroy the first one. It's all a matter of conditioning.
And we still have some left that I'm selling for $15 a piece if you would like to buy a few extras!;) Feel free to PM me!

Danielle

Moving in
Real Name
Danielle Marchetti
I would like to train Boo this winter so that next summer we can go outside together :) besides the video that is in the Aviator Harness package, is there anything that can help me keep all my fingers?
:sc2:
I would like to train mine as well. I'm more concerned about her escaping than snacking on my limbs lol. How safe are they? The ones I've seen seem thin and flimsy.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I haven't tried it yet, but I think they are well made.