• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Here's a different question

Star

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandis
We've discussed a lot as in myself and my husband about adding a BH caique and will be doing so to add with the WBC we already have. We have no desire to breed. And everything I've looked up says flat out the two don't "cross breed" in the wild nor do we want to cross breed them. If we end up with one of each sex and one of each species will they try to breed on there own?

Anyone have any experience? As I said we aren't looking to cross breed or breed.. I just wasn't sure if they would if left alone try to on there own accord...

Thanks for any insight

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Any two birds can become mates (especially in a captive situation). They will also have sex and lay eggs. Whether they cross breed in the wild or not they will "try" in captivity and there will be eggs.

I don't know specifically but your species are close enough that successful breeding would be a valid concern to me. The solution for that is to replace any eggs with suitable fakes (birdy birth control) and let them do their thing.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Black capped caiques and white bellied caiques can, and do, successfully breed with each other.

taylor.ally

Checking out the neighborhood
Weighing in here,

As stated above, they do breed successfully! We actually have a breeder here in my area who crossbreeds and then sells them as WBC.
She then states that it takes two years to lose their black feathers (as a WBC), however from my experience they lose their black feathers under a year, and most times after their first big molt.

... rambling.

Yes they breed, and they do breed successfully and you will have little hybrid babies if you get the opposite sex! If that isn't what you are looking for, definitely get same sex!

Star

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandis
Thank you everyone for your insight. I wasn't completely certain. I just know everything said in the wild they do not cross breed so instead of just going with that as an answer I wanted other peoples opinions/experiences and I appreciate all of it. It is very helpful.

We did actually go ahead and pick up another Caique friend.

Now we have two Glitch and Twitch.. :)

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
This is what I LOVE about this forum!!! The exchange of absolutely useful information. That's why I LOVE you (ALL) MAN!!! :super::hug8:

Tim

Avenue Veteran
They don't cross in the wild because their ranges only cross in a very small area. There are known hybrids in the wild where their range crosses. In my opinion it is unethical to sell a hybrid and present it as a correctly bred bird. I see a lot of birds on caique forums that are obviously hybrids, but the owners insist that they are pure WBCs.

Star

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandis
Yeah we don't want to breed which is why I wanted to ask. The hope is we can at least try and avoid it. So far they get along rather well but they have there own cages but out time they play etc. Also they are both still babies technically and have not matured yet. Plus side of that is we have some time to do significantly more research and become more prepared if it comes to a point they were to decide though we are currently still waiting on gender results.. for all we know both are the same sex and we won't even have to worry about them breeding

Heather F

The nice thing is it's not difficult, as John (jlcribber) said, to prevent them from producing offspring. All you need to do is take away the eggs before they have a chance to start incubating and replace them with fakes. So they can mate if they want, they can even lay if they want, and can sit on the fake eggs until they get bored.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
.. for all we know both are the same sex and we won't even have to worry about them breeding
Post a picture of them together face on and Ill have a good guess if they're the same sex. And its been my experience that caiques are VERY DIFFICULT to breed, at least in the early years, so your problem may be a ways off anyway.

Reactions: Tim

Star

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandis
I will have to see if they will cooperate once I get home. Cause I have pictures just none straight on

Star

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandis
@Irishj9 do I need to get them in the same picture next to each other or a front picture of each seperate would work?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
next to each other, get a few pix. Its the differences which show the sexes

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I'm very curious to see them, too! I've been meaning to ask JP if he can visually sex caiques, since he has so many pairs. I think I can detect a difference, but I want to confirm my suspicions....

Star

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandis
If i can possibly get the two of them to cooperate instead of wrestle matches I will upload pictures! Lol They have been slightly difficult because they are more interested in play time.. lol

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
If you keep them in separate cages and don't provide any type of nest box, the likely hood of them reporducing is very slim.

Star

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandis
They each have there own cage... there is no nest boxes nothing. They have outside time often and generally when out of the cage is the only time they're together but we're with them at that point because well they like to get into everything and anything

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Ok those pix arent great, but I do understand how hard it is to keep caiques still for a photo.

My guess is they're both males.

This is based on the size of the gap between the top of the eye and the curvature of the skull. Females have a narrower gap, flatter curve.

Still its only my best guess......LOL