• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

" I HURT"...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Every few days, I give Milton the "once-over". I look closely into his feathers to see if everything looks OK. I ruffle his feathers, look under his wings, that sort of thing. When I do this, I always tell him that I'm not going to hurt him, that he's a good bird, etc, etc. He has learned to tolerate this "exam", mostly because it ends with a good scritching.

Anyway, this morning, Milty ate his oatmeal, and then went over to tear up some phone book in his cage. When I came in the room, I noticed a rather large piece of phone book page stuck on his beak, courtesy of the dried oatmeal. This happened when I tried to correct this...

Me: I have to get the paper off your beak, Milton. (I have to almost scrape the paper off)

Milton: "NO...I HURT...YOU BAD BIRD"...

Me: You're not hurt, Bird, and I'm done.

Milton: "NO...HURT BIRD...DAT BAD"...(proceeds to poop all over me, something he never does...runs over to the "no table" grabs my keys, and throws them on the floor)

Me: Are you done yet, Cockatoo?

Milton: "NO...YOU BAD BIRD!"

He then jumped on the ledge beside the "no table" and gave me "THE LOOK" for almost an hour... I didn't bother him...I had to go clean myself up, after all...;)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
How dare you try to actually clean him up and make his beak hurt. Sometimes they just don't realize it will actually make them feel better and they certainly can hold a grudge when they feel badly offended:backout:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
You should have just offered the little ingrate a WET. The paper would have come off easier and Milty would have been happy.

Silly cockatoo.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
they certainly can hold a grudge when they feel badly offended:backout:
How true is that!

He went back to his cage and pulled the hanging phone book out of his cage, and dropped it on the floor...then he threw his pellets all over the place.

I'm still steering clear of that crazy 'too for now...:peek1:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You should have been here the morning I made the mistake of actually eating my hot cereal AFTER I let out Lurch. He flew over all happy, sat nice for a bit, then screamed into my ear and bit the crap outa it. I guess I didn't offer my cereal fast enough and had to be corrected. We had a very bad talk and he spent some time parrot swearing to himself and me inside his cage covered.
Took a while for both of us to calm down and he was still pissy after I uncovered him and finally very warily let him out. He was grumpy and ignoring or swearing in parrot at me most of the day then in the late afternoon he flew over to my chair and said HI SWEETHEART:xflove: and we were good after that. Even when you hit a bad spot once they care and trust you after a bit they forgive and forget and we move on:xflove:
I certainly would steer clear of him for a while too and it will be interesting to see how he finally decides to forgive you:cautious:
I certainly made a mistake that one week end morning when I had cereal while he was out and we both suffered a bit.:(

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Sounds like Milty woke up cantankerous this morning!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Nothing like an argument with a cockatoo!:rofl:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Both Cassie and Milton have been in my shirt, so I'm pretty much used to it. I have to watch though, because both 'toos put holes in the shirt when they are there...and Cassie was so comfortable that she laid an egg (!) while she was underneath my shirt....

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
both of mine do the hide in mama's shirt. especially if they are scared. Sweet Pea just wants to cuddle, Bebe bites.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I dont know what it is about cockatoos and their belief that a dirty beak is attractive. I get similar treatment from my guys if I try to clean their beaks.

It reminds me of an adolescent; "Mom, you're embarassing me!" And then proceeds to do the stink eye or completely ignore me.

Sigh.

Cockatoos..

Divas....

Sigh.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
It reminds me of an adolescent; "Mom, you're embarassing me!"
That's because you do the equivaIent of mom spitting on a Kleenex and wiping their teenage face :hehe: :hehe:.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I can't believe you called him a cockatoo and you are still in one piece! Tempting fate again, aren't you, Bob!

Yesterday a friend of mine visited in the birdroom and I didn't notice she had left the broom handle propped up against Emmie CAG's cage..... When I came down to feed everyone this morning, the new broom had been pulled half way into the cage and reduced to wood chips and plastic bristles.