• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Molting or plucking

Realgoneferby

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys, I have a question... I've noticed that Miko has been scratching a lot lately and is very nippy and irritable and he's looking grey. Based on what you all have experienced is he molting or plucking... if he is plucking I'm definitely going to get more foraging toys for him to occupy his time while I'm at work! If he's molting can anyone give me some good tips on how to help him through?

Attachments

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm not too knowledgable with plucking issues, but that doesn't look like a molt in my opinion.

I hope you can find a solution for him, many members use preenable toys for their birds with plucking or over preening issues.
Here's a link to one:
Plucker Cube

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Bump.
I agree, doesn't look like a molt

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What is his diet, cage space, lighting, location of his cage and does he get at least 10 hours of darkness for sleep. Do you have other animals that could stress him out?

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I seem to be in the minority, but it looks like a particularly heavy molt to me. Do you have any pictures of the missing feathers?

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
It looks like a heavy molt to me as well. How old is Miko?

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
How is he doing?

Heather F

Has he had any recent changes to his diet, or have you had any recent changes to anything in your household like cleaning products? He could be reacting to something new in his environment or diet.

Realgoneferby

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Sorry for the late response!! He is 5 going on 6 months, I don't use any strong scented cleaning agents but if I do I always take him outside of my room. He gets about 10 hours of sleep, sometimes more if he takes a nap. I haven't changed his diet it's zupreme pellets, with a seed and legume mix and I also give him carrots ando broccoli twice a week. I do have a cat but she is super old and sleeps most of the day so she doesn't bother Miko. @Percy&Ivan thank you for asking, he is fine just nippy and testy lol he has had such an attitude lately, but I'm hoping that he is molting and it's not him plucking... I'm really, really worried!! @Tim I posted a few, most of the feather that are scattered are really fluffy and grey and I posted a couple.

Attachments

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Those look like naturally molted feathers. My Diego is going through it now, too, and he looks kinda shaggy. I make sure he bathes a couple of times a week, and I give him some extra protein--a little scrambled egg a couple of times a week, too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He is 5 going on 6 months

Too young to be plucking already unless there is a medical condition. Also just the right age to be sprouting new adult plumage.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
A
Those look like naturally molted feathers. My Diego is going through it now, too, and he looks kinda shaggy. I make sure he bathes a couple of times a week, and I give him some extra protein--a little scrambled egg a couple of times a week, too.
Are eggs good for them???

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Yes, everything in moderation. Diego agrees with Mimi! 2-3 very small portions a week. Millet is good, too. Feathers are made of the protein Keratin, so extra during a heavy molt helps. And John is right--Diego started his first molt into adult plumage at 6-7 months, and Petunia is 5 months and I started seeing feathers and new pin feathers this week.

Realgoneferby

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Oh man! Ok awesome! I mean it sucks because he is so itchy all the time and he looks uncomfortable, but I was freaking out that he was plucking.
When is usually the normal age that they start plucking? (if they start plucking) just so I have an idea
I'll try giving him scrambled eggs tonight, and I'll give him some more millet spray too.
Is there anything else I can do to help ease this the itch? And also, what can I do to help him stop biting me?

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I cook my scrambled eggs in coconut oil, which is healthier than butter, too. I'm not sure about plucking--I hope you never have to find out! It's normally caused by trauma, years of stress, hormonal stress (artificially staying in breeding mode) and poor diet.
Is he really biting, as in drawing blood, or giving warning nips?

Lillemor

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Is there anything else I can do to help ease this the itch? And also, what can I do to help him stop biting me?
My conure is also growing new feathers, are itchy and frustrated, and bites because of this.
Aloe Vera works for him while I am waiting for a relieving remedy the vet recomended. ( What is HEALx Soother Spray? | Harrison's Bird Foods )

The Vet also recomended daily baths, and extra relaxation/sleep.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
May I ask where did you get the Soother Spray? Would like to get a bottle but
I can't find it online.thought that Healx products were no longer being made......

Realgoneferby

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
@Tim there have been one or two that have really drawn blood, and for the most part he gives warning nips and with those I back off... but for the ones that have drawn blood, they are because I was helping him scratch a particular spot.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Yeah, that will happen if you nudge a blood feather accidentally. Avoid when you can, and try being a little less agressive with your preening--he's telling you "hey, I've got this". Diego now lets me be pretty aggressive, but Petunia is younger, and less willing to let me help. The trust will come with time, just take it a little more slowly!